Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Long MAY you swim (May Fish Thread)
Quote | Reply
8.5 mi run and 2300 yards easy for me. MAYDAY!!!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Long MAY you swim (May Fish Thread) [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Craptastic swim to kick off the month

2050 SCY. Ab strain, sports hernia, or whatever else the doc wants to finally say I have is killing my swim. I got an ultrasound yesterday and am now waiting for the dreaded call.

w/u
500 descending by 200,200,100
m/s
1000 straight with core shorts
300 descending
w/d
100 kick
100 back/free x 50

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Missed it. Run and swim were yesterday, and again tomorrow. Today 2 hour bike ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bailed on my swim this morning. Got home late after going to a show with my wife and when the alarm went off at 4:20 my brain said "no freaking way".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bright and early, in the water at 5AM:

500ez
fins on 10x50 on :50 1-2 kick, 3-4 drill, 5-6 flutter/dolphin on back by 25, 7-8 drill, 9-10 dolphin on back
fins off
6x(2x100 fast and smooth on 2:00/1:30, 100ez pull/paddles on 2:00)
Fast and smooth averaged 1:12-:13, trying to stay relaxed and move fast - did these on an easy interval due to race this weekend
4x25 hard kick with board
2x50 overkick with paddles on :50 (:30, :29)
300ez pull

3300 scy

Also did an easy 45' on the trainer before lunch (had a half day at school!)

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw that Jamie Patrick was swimming 30,000 yards in 8 hours straight in an Endless Pool yesterday.

He's training for a continuous 78 miler around the Bahamas. http://www.thelongswim.com/#!the-swim/c1ktj

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: May 1, 15 11:22
Quote Reply
Re: Long MAY you swim (May Fish Thread) [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Fun Friday" with my masters group, which tends to mean "Dumb Stuff Friday". Main sets today were 6 x 100 yd back stroke on 1:20. I didn't make it. I could've made 1:25, but missed the interval at No. 4. Didn't feel like I was breathing too hard, just couldn't go any faster. And then some silly drafting set.
Quote Reply
Re: Long MAY you swim (May Fish Thread) [thatsethguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have swum 100% of the days in May. (Vs. 43% of April)

1200m w/u
pre-set 16 x25m (drill, swim, by 25)

3x sets of:
25m fly
50m fly+back by 25
75m fly+back+br by 25
100m IM
100m IM
75 back+br+fr by 25
50 br+fr by 25
15 fr by 25

c/d to 4,000m
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
8.5 mi run and 2300 yards easy for me. MAYDAY!!!

Hahaha Nice – MAY the chlorine be with you.

Pool doesn't open until after I have to be at work every other Friday. But, I got a nice little run in the AM. I had a followup appointment with my surgeon and my spinal fusion device is doing its job... well... swimmingly!
I got back to work into for a quick dip in the sloshbucket:
1000s (6:29/6:23) 12:52
5x100 various kicks
1500 sc yardages

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Long MAY you swim (May Fish Thread) [TriSliceRS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I have swum 100% of the days in May. (Vs. 43% of April)

Nice :D

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swam in open water for the first time this year... was purty cold! But only really my head. Stupidly I only wore a single silicon cap. I think the water was about 15C or 59F. Next weekend first sprint tri in probably similar temps. Debating getting a neoprene cap for under the race cap, or do the fishes here think that just double capping will be enough?
Quote Reply
Re: Long MAY you swim (May Fish Thread) [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today, day before a race, mostly very easy.

500ez
Fins on 600 kds by 50
20x25 pull on :25 build
2x50 fast on 1:30 (:31, :30)
100ez pull cd
1800scy

I'm also planning on doing a quick spin and a short run (maybe 20' of each).

Quote Reply
Re: Long MAY you swim (May Fish Thread) [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd wear a neoprene cap. Also, wear ear plugs - that helps in cold water too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doubling up latex caps has always worked for me, just as well if not better than neoprene, even in the infamous March 2013 Escape from Alcatraz where the water was about 50F. I put one cap on while setting up transition, so by the time I jump in my scalp is nice & warm. Note that silicone caps are more slippery, so tend to slip off more easily when double layered.

800 wu @ 12:00
8x25 mid pool sprints w/ turn @ :30
40x50s w/ paddles (16 every 4th fast @ :45, 12 every 3rd @ :50, etc), held 27-29 on fast, 35 on cruises
200 ez @ 4:00
40x25 @ :30 [10x(ez back, fly drill, ez free, fast fly)], :14 on the fast flys
75 fly w/ fins sprint (:39)
125 cd
4,400 scy total
Quote Reply
Re: Long MAY you swim (May Fish Thread) [pdraegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies. I thought silicone was thicker than latex and therefore warmer? I will admit I didn't even know there were different material caps, but I have tried to read up on them since the epic brain freeze this morning. I will say this, I am generally not a person that gets a head thats too warm, meaning I'd rather be too warm than not warm enough. Just recently got a new helmet that apparently vents alot better than my old one and sheez, can't ride without a cap for a while now, or at least until it gets above 15C... So I'll get the neoprene and look like an old school bomber pilot during the race ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watch those neoprene caps with a split chin strap with Velcro. You'll rub the crap out of your chin underside. Will not feel good in your first post race shower and a few more days. DeSoto makes a nice all neoprene cap that rubs no more than a wetsuit. I've never had a problem with it.

Ocean swim for me today. No wetsuit needed as the water varied from a balmy 63 down to 60ish.
I got in one loop of 2 miles and got out, only to see fellow OW swim buddies about to enter, so I went back in with them and got the remainder of 1.4 miles - a shorter loop. I pushed the pace up on this lap - good training for a local 2.4 miler in two weeks.

3.4 miles in 1:33

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My pool is finally long course! After a few days off recovering from USMS short course nationals, and then getting the pool back to 50m, I'm back at it.

May 1: 4500m
Main set: 8x50, 4x100, 2x200 and 400 @1:30/100
I was faster /100 during the 200 and 400 than the 50s, 100s.

Today: 6200m
Mix

Nationals report: 2nd in the mile, 4th 200 fly, 9th 500 free. The last 100 of my mile was faster than my last 100 of my 500. My stroke becomes unglued when I try to swim faster. Diesel-only.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SCY
21 x 150 on 2:05
28 x 150 on 2:05 pull
21 x 150 on 2:10 (Not feeling great)
100 ez

Longest swim since 1991.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a junior elite draft legal race today! Water was 61F, so wetsuit legal.

750M Swim, 10:40 - This was bad. First time in open water this year, and I swam zig zags. My dad said I easily swam 50M too much. Got out of the water close to the back.
T1 - Got the wetsuit off with a small struggle, got out on the bike in one piece.
20k Bike (12.4mi), 30:50 - Speed was about 24.1mph, no aerobars. I rode hard to catch some people, but ended up doing the majority of the work because if I didn't , we lost time. Happy-ish with this. The course was extremely technical (4x5k laps, 7 sharp turns per lap, one 180 degree turn each lap). I did surprisingly well with it given that I have only ridden outside once this year (my other race).
T2 - No complaints.
5k Run, 18:28 - Picked off a few more people, 20th best run split. I'm happy with this since I haven't had ideal run training since November.
Overall: 40/75 in my first DL race, 6th tri ever, against the best kids in USA and Canada.

Takeaways: Better open water skills are a necessity. Although I took 2 minutes off my 750split from fall, I could have been in a large and pack with the extra minute gained by swimming straight. Would have made a difference of about 15-20 spots in my finish place. The bike was a blast.

Quote Reply
Re: Long MAY you swim (May Fish Thread) [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice work! Where was the race? A kid I often share the pool with did the CAMTRI Junior Elite race in Mexico today but I don't see any results from that that match your times so obviously not that one. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you're speedy!

40 mi bike yesterday
9.5 mi run and 2500 yd swim today

4 x 125 kick the last length of each
4 x 200 kick the last 50 of each
4 x 250 kick the last length of each (one of these in backstroke)
100 breast
100 sidestroke c/d

Quote Reply
Re: Long MAY you swim (May Fish Thread) [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! (You and TC)

It was the USAT Junior Elite race in Richmond. It's the same level of competition as continental cups, if you go by the points table for placing at either race. Pretty good competition, every High Performance team came, as well as part of the Canadian junior team.

It was my first DL race, and I really enjoyed it!! The cycling is a lot of fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 25 yard, single lane lap pool in my new apartment complex, so I managed 1750 yesterday for the first swim since October. Too short for a warmup, so went 500 in 6:40 with first 100 at 1:07. 500 pull on 8:00 with paddles and buoy, keeping it stretched and relaxed, then 5x100 on 1:35, coming in at 1:12-1:18. 250 pull C/D.

No endurance yet and my form falls apart pretty quickly after the first couple 100's. Also, no lines on a single lane makes for very choppy water after a couple minutes. But it's a 30 sec walk to the pool now, so no excuses.
Quote Reply
Re: Long MAY you swim (May Fish Thread) [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Official splits are in!! My run split was 17:48. Apparently the prelim splits had T2 included in the run.

Now that, I can be happy with!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, to be young. Great times!
Another day in the ocean. This time with big surf! Some as big as double overhead! Still 60ish, but was a lot of fun. I was first to swim around a rock that if not timed just right, probably end up on it as the waves surged around it while breaking. Exhilarating!
About 2 miles.

Quote Reply

Prev Next