Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long Islanders - Traveling home from Eagleman
Quote | Reply
Long Islanders who have done this race in the past few years...if you left right after the race, how long did it usually take you to get home? Hit bad traffic coming into NY?
Quote Reply
Re: Long Islanders - Traveling home from Eagleman [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I’ve never done Eagleman, but, I have done the OCMD to Huntington, LI drive many many times. I don’t mind driving long distances at all, but, gotta say. ABORT MISSION!! Leaving on a Sunday, mid day is going to be BAD...not only will you hit IM traffic, you’ll hit traffic for people leaving OC/Eastern Shore, then traffic in Northern Delaware, then traffic all throughout NJ, and THEN beach traffic from Jersey Shore in Northern NJ AND of course, typical NYC traffic Depending on which route you’ll take, By the time you get to the Belt Parkway or LIE you’ll be ready to murder everyone.. I’d say 6.5 hours home would be really good timing but unlikely, 7-8 is more likely. In peak summer, it’s taken me 8-9 hours.

If it’s possible, stay the extra day, or leave later at night.
Quote Reply
Re: Long Islanders - Traveling home from Eagleman [MikeM126] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to be a complete Debbie downer here. If you have to leave after the race, then you have no choice. Whatever. Load up on Chik Fil A and WAWA!!
The good news is, it’s still early in the season, and school isn’t out. So you could get lucky!
Have a great race.

(I’m currently in Bethany Beach, just north of where IM Eagleman is..I’ll be making the same ride back to LI as well)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the depressing news! haha

Unfortunately I don't have a choice. We've got a dog at home with cancer and he'll be boarding at the vet for the weekend but we're trying to get home Sunday night and pick him up. I'm only doing the race because my brother paid for it for my birthday, so I kinda of have to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long do you think it will take to get down there Saturday morning? Leaving between 9-10AM?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The drive from NYC to Annapolis area takes me ~4-4.5 hours (I know that's not where Eagleman is, but still sort of relevant). Leaving at 9-10 am you'll hit some traffic leaving NY, then more in Delaware/MD; Jersey is usually pretty good.

I don't think the drive back is as bad as he says (maybe it's a lot different from the Eastern Shore). If you don't already, definitely take the Cars/Trucks/Buses side of the Jersey Turnpike vs the cars only side; less traffic, less accidents, etc.

Strava
Last edited by: gmh39: Jun 5, 18 5:40
Quote Reply
Re: Long Islanders - Traveling home from Eagleman [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traffic is not too bad - I make this trip in the summers 5-6x and maybe its an extra 30 minutes or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leaving Saturday morning to go to OC area won't be too bad, I'd say, give yourself ~5 and a half hours from LI..

Also, for the way back Sunday, it actually won't be as terrible as I originally made it seem..my bad.. It's still early in the season, so you won't get f'd from the standard summer traffic. It'll probably be 6 to 6 and a half back home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MikeM126 wrote:
Leaving Saturday morning to go to OC area won't be too bad, I'd say, give yourself ~5 and a half hours from LI..

Also, for the way back Sunday, it actually won't be as terrible as I originally made it seem..my bad.. It's still early in the season, so you won't get f'd from the standard summer traffic. It'll probably be 6 to 6 and a half back home.

Thanks for the insight! I'm hoping it won't be 6+ on the way back. Sitting in a car that long after a half doesn't sound fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll likely want to pit stop somewhere along the NJ Turnpike for sure. My favorite rest stop is the big (only) one in Delaware.. Relatively new and has some good options for when you're starving.

Also, seriously, before you leave get some Chik Fil A and WaWa while you're in MD and Delaware. Load up!

Have a great race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MikeM126 wrote:
You'll likely want to pit stop somewhere along the NJ Turnpike for sure. My favorite rest stop is the big (only) one in Delaware.. Relatively new and has some good options for when you're starving.

Also, seriously, before you leave get some Chik Fil A and WaWa while you're in MD and Delaware. Load up!

Have a great race!

Thanks! I don't get the big deal about Chik Fil A, plus there's one near me if I ever wanted to try it, which I don't really. Also, no thanks to WaWa. I'm from Long Island, 7-Eleven is better!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
MikeM126 wrote:

Have a great race!

Thanks! I don't get the big deal about Chik Fil A, plus there's one near me if I ever wanted to try it, which I don't really. Also, no thanks to WaWa. I'm from Long Island, 7-Eleven is better!

I'm with you as far as Chick-Fil-A goes.

As far as traffic, I've started using WAZE and it can be a god send once you have to decide which way to take over Staten Island. As far as Sunday afternoon and evening traffic goes, you probably know as well as I do that it can be very hit or miss. I've come off the NJTP at the Goethals and been in Babylon 75 minutes later. I've also only been on the belt in front of the JFK expressway at that time. You just don't know, but WAZE does and sometimes it can help you out a lot. Other times it just throws its little digital arms up in the air and give up.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bit of a sidebar here but is anyone racing/attending and has a garmin 910xt / 920xt / 735xt / 935xt forerunner for sale? I'm in the market and get into town on Friday. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm hoping it won't be 6+ on the way back. Sitting in a car that long after a half doesn't sound fun!

It's not as bad as you think. Flying immediately afterwards was always worse for me. I've done 9-10 hours immediately after finishing Buffalo Springs (Lubbock to Houston) several times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going to be driving from Toronto on friday/monday. What do you recommend for food stops for a Canadian? Definitely will hit up Chick-fil-a.

If anyone has any tips for the driving route those would be appreciated as well
Quote Reply
Re: Long Islanders - Traveling home from Eagleman [D4vid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forgot..Chik Fil A is closed on Sundays anyway. But, It’s worth trying.

I’m an LIer too,but WAWA destroys 7-11.
Quote Reply