Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long Island (Suffolk Co) Pools
Quote | Reply
Looking for somewhere to swim occasionally. I've had membership at the Y in Huntington but don't want to pay $60/month for just use of the pool. I know Nassau Aquatic Center you can swim for $10 if you're a Nassau resident. Is there somewhere like that for Suffolk residents?

I heard a while back that you could swim at SCCC in Brentwood for around the same price but don't see it anywhere on their site.
Quote Reply
Re: Long Island (Suffolk Co) Pools [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was contemplating joining SCCC. You have to purchase a full year membership, they won't let you pay per swim. Also check to make sure their hours are good for you, they work the hours around their class schedule.

Info here: http://www.sunysuffolk.edu/...ealth-club/index.jsp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just moved to Huntington and used the Y for training throughout the summer. I looked into other local options but couldn't find anything, so I am interested to see what others recommend.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Yobroski [ In reply to ]
Re: Long Island (Suffolk Co) Pools [Yobroski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually just remembered that LA Fitness in Farmingdale has a 25y pool that I used years ago and was decent, also X-sport underneath Roosevelt field had a good pool. I purchased a 2 year membership special that came out to $17 a month and the pool is open 24hr/day.

I don't ride with any groups, but there are plenty around that I see. I usually just do Target Rock repeats, or I have some smaller loops off of Woodbury road that have minimal hitting the brakes. I would like to link up with others but think it would be too difficult with finding people of similar pace and that can ride at the same times. My IM bike splits are about 5:30.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Darn. I was really hoping to find a solution. I guess I'll just pay for the Y for a few months in lead up to my full next summer. Or just keep to swimming outside
Quote Reply
Re: Long Island (Suffolk Co) Pools [Gellyfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gellyfish wrote:
I was contemplating joining SCCC. You have to purchase a full year membership, they won't let you pay per swim. Also check to make sure their hours are good for you, they work the hours around their class schedule.

Info here: http://www.sunysuffolk.edu/...ealth-club/index.jsp

I would just get a membership at the Y in that case, it's 5 minutes from my house
Quote Reply
Re: Long Island (Suffolk Co) Pools [dbikelink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dbikelink wrote:
I actually just remembered that LA Fitness in Farmingdale has a 25y pool that I used years ago and was decent, also X-sport underneath Roosevelt field had a good pool. I purchased a 2 year membership special that came out to $17 a month and the pool is open 24hr/day.

I don't ride with any groups, but there are plenty around that I see. I usually just do Target Rock repeats, or I have some smaller loops off of Woodbury road that have minimal hitting the brakes. I would like to link up with others but think it would be too difficult with finding people of similar pace and that can ride at the same times. My IM bike splits are about 5:30.

I'll ride with you if you can get me down to a 5:30 IM pace!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to see some fellow Long Island people on here. I am in Nassau County so can't really help you guys out on suggestions too much. Is CW Post close to you at all? I believe there is a masters group that swims out of there. All the others I know are at Eisenhower.
Quote Reply
Re: Long Island (Suffolk Co) Pools [cdoug55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if you want Indoors, but what about Town of Huntington Pools? I think there's one in Dix Hills which is probably the closest to you. Pretty sure at Town Pools you can pay per time or it may be $60-100 for an entire season.

Just spitballin' here but some others:
LA Fitness is FDale, as mentioned, but I think that requires a monthly membership, and it's far from you.

Lifetime in Syosset?

There's not a ton of options in LI for Indoor pools to pay per visit. Cantiague and Eisenhower you might be able to get in as a non- Nassau resident.. or just have someone you know get one for you!
Quote Reply
Re: Long Island (Suffolk Co) Pools [cdoug55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cdoug55 wrote:
Good to see some fellow Long Island people on here. I am in Nassau County so can't really help you guys out on suggestions too much. Is CW Post close to you at all? I believe there is a masters group that swims out of there. All the others I know are at Eisenhower.

Yeah, that's way too far
Quote Reply
Re: Long Island (Suffolk Co) Pools [MikeM126] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikeM126 wrote:
Not sure if you want Indoors, but what about Town of Huntington Pools? I think there's one in Dix Hills which is probably the closest to you. Pretty sure at Town Pools you can pay per time or it may be $60-100 for an entire season.

Just spitballin' here but some others:
LA Fitness is FDale, as mentioned, but I think that requires a monthly membership, and it's far from you.

Lifetime in Syosset?

There's not a ton of options in LI for Indoor pools to pay per visit. Cantiague and Eisenhower you might be able to get in as a non- Nassau resident.. or just have someone you know get one for you!

The Dix Hills pool is outside so doesn't help much during the winter. Farmingdale is too far and Lifetime is waaaaay to expensive. Non-Nassau resident cost is $20 per visit. Not worth it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is the NYSC. I was a member of Deer Park's for years and it sucked. Way too warm, 23 yards long, and little. When I quite it was about $60 a year.

SCCC Grant Campus is where I swim now, but last Monday they changed the schedule. Some outside swim club has now taken the entire pool from 6 to 8 pm M-F and from 6 to 8 am on Saturday. If you are an after work swimmer like me you are now SOL until this ends. It is a very nice cool well maintained pool. Cost is $275 for the year and the cheapest deal in the area.

Nassau Aquatic is too far away from Suffolk county in my opinion, but they have an Olympic quality facility and you can pay as you go.

There is also the Bayshore YMCA. Not a big fan of YMCA's in general, but they have a great reputation and a lot of locals swim there. No idea of the price.

There is also South Shore Tri Club that does open water swims at Heckscher State Park. I assume they swim in side somewhere.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, exactly...Assumed you looked at all of those options already. I think for indoors, SCCC is the only option..unless maybe you can find a gym that's cheaper than $60/mo. I have a Y membership for this very reason and do OWS in Tobay during Summer Months.
Quote Reply
Re: Long Island (Suffolk Co) Pools [MikeM126] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikeM126 wrote:
Yeah, exactly...Assumed you looked at all of those options already. I think for indoors, SCCC is the only option..unless maybe you can find a gym that's cheaper than $60/mo. I have a Y membership for this very reason and do OWS in Tobay during Summer Months.

If I were to swim 2-4x/week or use the weight room/cardio machines, I would just get my Huntington Y membership going again since it's right down the road. But for right now I'm just looking to swim a couple times a month until around April when I'll want to swim more to get ready for the race. It's a shame there isn't an equivalent of Nassau Aquatic center, Nassau residents can swim for $10/day. That would be perfect!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear ya..there's not a lot of indoor pools or gyms with pools near Huntington.. I'm in the same situation in Massapequa.

Next option: So...do you know any Nassau residents who can get you a pass to use?! Never swam at the Nassau Facility, so I don't know if you need to show your license EVERY TIME or if it's just a town type pass with just a name on it. I know Town of Huntington has a special pass it gives people once they sign up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't mind meeting up with a local for riding, as long as we are similar paces. where do you live? what is your IM bike split?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dbikelink wrote:
I wouldn't mind meeting up with a local for riding, as long as we are similar paces. where do you live? what is your IM bike split?

Waaaaaaay slower! Tremblant in 2014 I was like 7:30 haha. I was just saying, I'd kill to go 5:30 in an IM. I'm signed up for my second in 2018 and I'm hoping to get in the 6-6:30 range on a 116 mile course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
116 miles!? Which course is that? I'm signed up to do IMMT in 2018 for the fourth year in a row. Even though you're slower we could still plan interval workouts for the same time on the same loops to at least have someone else out there suffering at the same time. Right now I'm in marathon season so I won't start riding again until April, but it would be cool to meet other triathletes in the area. I'm 1 mile from the Y in Nassau RD behind the village
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to see a few LI'ers on this forum. I'm sure I've seen some of you on the LIE Service road, Heckscher, Cedar Creek, or on the north shore somewhere. I swim at Lifetime in Syosset/Garden City because the kids use the gym and I can swim there during lunch break. It's great to have a 25m outdoor pool. Will swim occasionally at Eisenhower for the 50m LCM. I wish we had some lakes for OWS like in NJ. I'm down for a group ride. Training for IMLP 2018.
Quote Reply