Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long, winter commute tips (Denver area -- from Brighton through Commerce City)
Quote | Reply
I plan to start commuting again, at least 2 or 3 times a week. I live about 30 miles from my job, so 60 miles round trip. I'm not too worried about the ride in, but it's the ride home that sketches me out.

I've done this commute multiple times previously (before the time change), and I was only riding in the dark for 30 minutes on the way home; however, by the time I leave work it's already dark so my entire commute will be in the pitch black, mostly on a bike trail. I have a few worries, though.

(1) A portion of the ride is through a fairly sketchy city on the outskirts of Denver (Commerce City). It's known for drug use and rampant homelessness. How can I best protect myself?

(2) Lights. I have a 250 lumen front light, but my rear light is garbage. I'm overdue for nice, dependable lights and would be happy for some suggestions.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Long, winter commute tips (Denver area -- from Brighton through Commerce City) [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
A portion of the ride is through a fairly sketchy city on the outskirts of Denver (Commerce City). It's known for drug use and rampant homelessness. How can I best protect myself?
I don't know much about drug addiction, but have heard that prescription painkillers a way some people get started down that path.

In terms of homelessness, if you're working make a savings plan that can tide you over if you lose your job for a time. And don't get locked into living beyond your means. A smaller place can mean keeping a roof over your head if you hit hard times.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Long, winter commute tips (Denver area -- from Brighton through Commerce City) [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you considered possibly doing RTD through the tough areas and then get back on your bike at some point on the path? I've done Boulder to Sunnyside a few times for work and it's fine on the path, but once you get off it can get pretty intimidating. 287 on a road bike is pretty scary.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Long, winter commute tips (Denver area -- from Brighton through Commerce City) [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a great idea.

I live in Wash Park and I was going to drive somewhere off of clear creek trail (because clear creek meets south platte river trail right before it gets super sketchy). But picking up RTD is equally as effective.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to ride those areas frequently and it's not really Commerce City that's the bad part it's the stuff just North of 20th through the National Guard place. After that you're (more or less) in the clear and able to go pretty fast.

My recommendations would be to do a couple of things...

* consider lightly studded tires - lots of shaded areas and there's a fair amount of places where puddles/runoff freeze over
* run a bigger light on your helmet - being able to see where you're about to turn (before you do so) is huge and worst case you can shine that shit in someone's eyes while you scurry out of there
* double up your tires - I ran old gatorskins INSIDE of my conti contact tires due to occasional glass and my desire to not change a flat near the 1-25/I-70 junction. Might've even had a rim strip inside one of those two. It'll feel like you're riding on bricks and weigh a bazillion pounds but you'll be hard pressed to get a flat
Quote Reply
Re: Long, winter commute tips (Denver area -- from Brighton through Commerce City) [Tim_Canterbury] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The double tire idea is crazy to me. I'm searching for info on google, but haven't found anything yet. Did you cut the bead off? Or literally just run two tires? I have the vittoria randonneur right now and it's pretty durable, but I'm sure adding another layer of rubber would be huge.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup (cut the bead off). I'm sure you could probably squeeze it in with the bead too. For the life of me I can't remember where I'd read about that but it made sense at the time. Tubeless setups won't really help much with the occasional glass that you can't avoid. I had some gatorskins that were on their last legs (I tend to run them wide so they were likely 25 or 28mm) and it seemed to be a decent use. I can't reiterate enough just how dull the road feel was running that setup but i'd rather deal with that and a shitload of extra rolling resistance than stop to change a flat in a halfway sketchy area.

Meant to comment on lights, our team is sponsored by niterider so we have a few Lumina's floating around the house. They pack a pretty good punch in a good size weight at a decent price and micro usb charging so you can top it off at work pretty easily. I use the micro 750's for both backup lights on long days , our pub/town bikes and for the warmup prior to Wednesday morning worlds. That said, there are probably a million similar options at/around the same pricepoint.
Quote Reply