Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Locking Bike to Car
Quote | Reply
Polling the group. I searched but didn't see anything specific to my question.

I recently moved to an area that has less than optimal launching points for biking. It's not far from great riding, but all my options require 10-15 minutes on busy roads before I can get to my normal riding areas.

I can drive and park at a nearby lake/park and leave from there. Which is ideal for doing both Swim->Bike and Bike-> run bricks. However, I get nervous about leaving my bike locked to my bikerack.

Anyone have any good locking solutions for securing a TT bike to a car rack?

I have a Thule with a lock but lets be honest, a simple screw driver or a ratchet could remove the whole damn thing before anyone around was any wiser. The lock on those things is pretty flimsy and the bike rack only attaches to the car with a bolt.
Quote Reply
Re: Locking Bike to Car [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A 'locking hitch pin' could be used to better secure your rack to your vehicle. Then any high strength bike lock big enough to go through your frame to the rack (assuming a tray style or something where the chain could not be lifted off) like a Kryptonite or Abus. Obviously nothing is theft proof, but those two things would make a pretty big barrier to theft. Not using fancy wheels would be another thing to help ward off potential theft.
Quote Reply
Re: Locking Bike to Car [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or take your dog, and chain it to the bike rack with about 10' of run. Unless you have a purse dog, then just never mind.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Re: Locking Bike to Car [David_Tris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a trunk rack, but I think it would probably work equally well for a roof rack. I use the Seasucker cable anchor, which sits in the gap of the door or trunk. Then I use a long (I think 7') cable from Kryptonite and wind it through everything and lock it to the anchor with a padlock.

https://www.seasucker.com/...s/cable-anchor-trunk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a kuat transfer tray style hitch rack. It has the sheathed metal cord, like a heavy duty cable lock. The rack is locked to the car with a locking hitch pin, so it would take a while with a cordless angle grinder to get the rack off. Whenever I am leaving the bike unattended for a while, I add an iron chain I got from home depot and lock the wheels and frame to the steel frame lift-handle of the rack. If someone really wanted to steal my bike from off there, it would at least take a few minutes, they'd have to destroy the rack and they'd need both a really heavy duty bolt cutter and an angle grinder. You always have the option of throwing your bike in the car, which I do with both my Ford Escape and Nissan Leaf and which IMO is very, very secure.

https://www.homedepot.com/...wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The saris SuperClamp racks come with a locking hitch-pin and a built-in bike lock, so I think that works well. You could probably get a locking hitch-pin that would work with the Thule rack.
Quote Reply
Re: Locking Bike to Car [stevendex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevendex wrote:
You always have the option of throwing your bike in the car

Agreed. Bike racks are convenient but locking it in the car is way more secure.

Unless you've got a 2 seater, I'm sure it fits with little issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Locking Bike to Car [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
stevendex wrote:

I've knocked more durailers and whatnot loose fitting my bikes into my 4runner than I care to mention.

Side note: I ride a giant (61) bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem. I fold down the backseats, and put the bike inside the car. Gives me piece of mind.
Quote Reply
Re: Locking Bike to Car [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
stevendex wrote:

x3

Unless you're got a really solid way of securing your bike to an exterior hitch rack, I think putting the bike in the car is always the best option. Especially since an exterior bike rack is so obvious. A thief may not have the tools on hand the first time they see your bike locked up...but if you make a habit of doing it over and over again at the same time and place...they might show up one day prepared.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geek_fit wrote:

Last time I went car shopping i took a tape measure and the sole requirement was the height that allowed me to wheel my bike in with both wheels on. I'm 6'4" with all my height in the legs, so the saddle is sky high. Several confused salespeople when I told them to just start by opening the back and dropping the seats, no I didn't care about the engine, stereo or anything else.

FWIW then the Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajero was the only one I found that worked, the modern 4x4s have the spare wheel underneath and that lifts the floor reducing the height.

However, normally dropping the front wheel and sliding in on the left side even my bikes fit in a golf fairly easily on the odd occasion that I have had to get a pickup from the better half. Just don't forget to take out the half full/empty drinks bottle.
Quote Reply
Re: Locking Bike to Car [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
Geek_fit wrote:

Last time I went car shopping i took a tape measure and the sole requirement was the height that allowed me to wheel my bike in with both wheels on. I'm 6'4" with all my height in the legs, so the saddle is sky high. Several confused salespeople when I told them to just start by opening the back and dropping the seats, no I didn't care about the engine, stereo or anything else.

FWIW then the Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajero was the only one I found that worked, the modern 4x4s have the spare wheel underneath and that lifts the floor reducing the height.

However, normally dropping the front wheel and sliding in on the left side even my bikes fit in a golf fairly easily on the odd occasion that I have had to get a pickup from the better half. Just don't forget to take out the half full/empty drinks bottle.

I scoped out a full sized GMC safari. The woman looked shocked when I said it wasn't big enough. They had a 10 passenger chevy van but a church bought it.

I ended up with a sprinter, high roof. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run a cable through the bike and to the hitch chain attachment points.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what about taking the front wheel off your bike before putting it in your 4runner? I assume even with your giant bike it should fit easily.
Quote Reply