Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lochte
Quote | Reply
Wins 200 IM nationals at age 35. 1:57+.
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome, it is the one event that he could actually win a gold medal in with the crop of competition in the world at the moment. I wonder if he can get any of his other events up to par, maybe 400IM, 200 free?? He used to be able to do a good 100 free too, but that event has passed him I'm afraid..
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is great to see. Monty, how fast do you think gets a medal in the 200IM at Tokyo 2020?
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's hard to tell, but 1;57 right now is a very top time in that event. If he has a little more room, maybe even a 1;55+, I think that is a medal, maybe even gold. He has the advantage of having swam a 1;54 before, so he has that muscle memory. So I would suspect that over the next year he starts clawing back some of his already gotten time, whereas others have to find new territory under 1;57..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His breaststroke today was really good vs the competition
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
That's awesome, it is the one event that he could actually win a gold medal in with the crop of competition in the world at the moment. I wonder if he can get any of his other events up to par, maybe 400IM, 200 free?? He used to be able to do a good 100 free too, but that event has passed him I'm afraid..

If he can get his 200 free down and make the top 6 at Trials, then 2020 would be his 5th straight Oly swimming on the 4 x 200 m free relay. He and Phelps have been the two mainstays of this relay from 2004 though 2016, and if Lochte were to make it 5, I would think this would be a record for "most times in a row swimming on the same Oly relay" or something like that. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, lots of guys around the same zip code in that 200 relay, and that is without Caleb swimming it yet. For sure he might be a good prelim swimmer for it, unless he can unleash some sub 1;47 before then. Then it just depends on who is stepping up at the time, but that time would put him very well in the hunt for top 6..
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
This is great to see. Monty, how fast do you think gets a medal in the 200IM at Tokyo 2020?

Depends on whether Hagino can bounce back. He’s a legit 1:54 guy when healthy, but was battling injuries over the last couple of years.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before he medals, he has to make the team. 1:57.76 makes him only the 4th fastest American performer this year. He's in the mix, for sure, but it's far from a fait acompli.

My guess is that it takes a 1:55 to medal in Tokyo. I wouldn't count on Kalisz and Larkin both underperforming like they did in the 200IM @ Worlds. And Duncan Scott is going into the last year of the training quad with the fresh momentum of a transcendental swim in the 4x100 relay to close out Worlds.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Aug 4, 19 20:38
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just read ESPN article on it and only read it cus it had headline “medals after 14 month ban”.

Had no clue he served doping ban.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iirc, he posted photos on instagram of him and his wife at a IV re-hydration place. Still not the sharpest tool in the shed.
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
iirc, he posted photos on instagram of him and his wife at a IV re-hydration place. Still not the sharpest tool in the shed.
Yes, details here.
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True to Lochte form, he hasn't really been training much. A full year of work and he can probably drop 2s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4CTo9MZdAM

Watching his post-swim interview, he doesn't even look in shape. And he was struggling that last 15m, but he did look really strong across the middle ~125m.

-----
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
monty wrote:

If he can get his 200 free down and make the top 6 at Trials, then 2020 would be his 5th straight Oly swimming on the 4 x 200 m free relay. He and Phelps have been the two mainstays of this relay from 2004 though 2016, and if Lochte were to make it 5, I would think this would be a record for "most times in a row swimming on the same Oly relay" or something like that. :)

I doubt he can be relevant to the US on the 4 x 200. It *should* take a 1:46 low and hopefully a 1:45 to make the team. He hasn't done that in 5-6 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
monty wrote:

I doubt he can be relevant to the US on the 4 x 200. It *should* take a 1:46 low and hopefully a 1:45 to make the team. He hasn't done that in 5-6 years.

He went 1:46.62 at the 2016 Trials. Understand that is about 0.5 sec from "low" but I think it is "possible". You know we have to root for the "old guys" like Lochte and Ervin. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And Scott is a great all round performer. From 50-1500.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply