Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Local triathlete dies
Quote | Reply
I just found out one of our local (NW Fla) triathletes, aged 47, died of a heart attack during the night on Monday. He was in my age group, and always beat me by a few minutes, but I didn't really know him. My condolences to his family and friends, if any are lurking here (FlaJill?).
Quote Reply
Re: Local triathlete dies [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hadn't heard, and am sad to hear of his early death. I work weird hours, can't hook up with any of the local groups, and tend to be massively out of the loop on everything. (I can theoretically make one of the new master's sessions out in Bluewater, but not really anything else)

My condolences to his family and friends as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the cause of the heart attack?

I ask because I have friends that have had marathoners die of HA's in their family. The reason for the HA was ruled "due to irregular heart beat" (I think these are called heart palpatations maybe?).

I remember it because I looked around a bit (reading information) and realized that irregular heart beats are something that is quite common, even among endurance athletes.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that. My condolences to the family also. I'm one age group up on you but we're both old enough to realize how fragile our mortality is. Obviously he's not the type that you would expect to die that young of a heart attack but if your number is up, then it's up.

We'd all like to live as long as possible. I've researched this in detail and decided that to increase your chances things to do that might help your heart are 1) low psychological stress 2) regular exercise 3) two drinks a day(red wine is best) 4) don't smoke.

But then my grandmother smoked a pack a day and lived to be 88. My great uncle also smoked and lived to be 96. I like to think/hope that long life will be in my genes, but then my grandfather died of cancer at age 52.

It's a crap shoot.
Quote Reply
Re: Local triathlete dies [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

As Coach Gordo Byrn quotes on his website... http://www.byrn.org/

"Do not take life so seriously — no onewill make it out alive."

Do what you really want in this life, you only have it once.
Last edited by: TriandRun: Jan 25, 04 1:08
Quote Reply