Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Living in Hawaii?
Quote | Reply
I have been offered an opportunity to transfer to Honolulu (Pearl Harbor) for a 3-5 year assignment. How is the tri scene there? Are there many races and/or any clubs? What about bike racing?

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Re: Living in Hawaii? [Matt_Mallet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there's a big one in may and a REALLY big one in October...

:)

tommy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just imagine. Year round perfect weather, 80 degrees, warm ocean waters. No winter off-season here. Many tri clubs and road cycling clubs. Not large compared to mainland clubs, but the quality is there. If you're military, there are a lot of triathletes in the service who race well here in paradise.

Lots of races on Oahu and the neighbor islands. Here is a start for you.

http://www.timersplus.com/

Aloha!
Quote Reply
Price in Paradise [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a price to paradise. Depending on your point of view road riding is a bit tight. We have not so many good roads and plenty of traffic.
If you are an elite and have a need for big races travel is a must. We have a pecking order as it is a small island so you will know everybody pretty quick. We have some damn tough youngsters coming up and some pretty salty old folks as well.
Swimming and running are a breeze. Lots of places to train and perfect weather,
For some reason we have a lot of clubs and most folks train with one of the training groups. I tend to lone wolf, but know most of the groups. We have a pretty good xterra number of races as well.
I would go for it, for 3-5 years in the Islands would be perfect. Aloha G-man
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second G-man's comment about the not so great bike training. Also, not a good selection of tri-shops. But you can't have everything. Lot of great places to swim and run and lots of people to train with. Come on over. Aloha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You only live once. Anyone can live in Witchita or Terre Haute, but Hawaii is a different beast. Its expensive, can be crowded, and tons of tourists, but it is paradise & it is easy to get dialed into the various scenes. Which would you rather risk: taking a chance for paradise now or regretting never having taken advantage of the opportunity in the future?

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To each his own I guess - I thought the biking was great when I lived there. I really don't remember traffic being an issue on the bike. There aren't that many main roads and there can be a lot of traffic but what I remember most is how laid back the drivers were. Never had an incident with any of them riding thousands of miles a year. Heavy largely friendly traffic beats the hell out of sparse beer can and M-80 throwing rednecks.

Some of the human scenery there ain't bad either.
Quote Reply