Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Live Stream of my Danish Hour Record Attempt Tomorrow (January 11th) [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations MTM!
Quote Reply
Re: Live Stream of my Danish Hour Record Attempt Tomorrow (January 11th) [ilanias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ilanias wrote:
New danish record and the fourth fastest time (ahead of Rohan Dennis) since the rule changes in 2014.

I would say hands down world record for a “hobbyist” who actually has a job.

Lost of respect for this effort, especially considering all of the behind the scenes technical work he has to do to get it right.

Well done, shame the pressure wasn’t in his favour to get him to 53. Looking forward to the report.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Live Stream of my Danish Hour Record Attempt Tomorrow (January 11th) [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great work Martin well worth a "wow, just wow"!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations, Martin!

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Impressive distance! Congrats!

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Live Stream of my Danish Hour Record Attempt Tomorrow (January 11th) [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys!

A few short notes before hitting the sack. Official distance 52.324 km - they first reported a lap too much for some reason, which also seemed off compared to my timing guy on the side line.

From a brief look at my power it seems like something was a bit off, my CdA has consistently been lower in training as well as in last year's attempt than it was tonight. Zero offset of SRM was only moving a few points before vs. after, so power should be right. Should have gotten ~500m more had I just had the same CdA from last year (and if anything it should be slightly better now). Will have to see if I can find the culprit - hopefully that will be easier to nail down than adding the power I have added compared to last year.

Oh, they didn't really succeed completely in heating the track, conditions on the track were 24C, 1019 mbar, 36% RH.
Last edited by: MTM: Jan 11, 18 14:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
Thanks guys!

A few short notes before hitting the sack. Official distance 52.324 km - they first reported a lap too much for some reason, which also seemed off compared to my timing guy on the side line.

From a brief look at my power it seems like something was a bit off, my CdA has consistently been lower in training as well as in last year's attempt than it was tonight. Zero offset of SRM was only moving a few points before vs. after, so power should be right. Should have gotten ~500m more had I just had the same CdA from last year (and if anything it should be slightly better now). Will have to see if I can find the culprit - hopefully that will be easier to nail down than adding the power I have added compared to last year.

Oh, they didn't really succeed completely in heating the track, conditions on the track were 24C, 1019 mbar, 36% RH.

Amazing time and congrats. What was your average W/kg?
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Jan 11, 18 15:33
Quote Reply
Re: Live Stream of my Danish Hour Record Attempt Tomorrow (January 11th) [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wetswimmer99 wrote:
MTM wrote:
Thanks guys!

Just around 5 W/kg - had a bit of drop-outs in the file, but it's right around that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
wetswimmer99 wrote:
MTM wrote:
Thanks guys!

Just around 5 W/kg - had a bit of drop-outs in the file, but it's right around that.

Thanks for sharing. Your CdA is amazing, even with you mentioning something was off. Very cool to be in the record books, putting out that power, in a very difficult position, on the track.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got to be the helmet ;)

MTM wrote:
Thanks guys!

Quote Reply
Re: Live Stream of my Danish Hour Record Attempt Tomorrow (January 11th) [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those base bars also look like they are way wider than 3:1. I thought UCI had rolled that back for frames but kept it for bars or am I totally clueless.
Quote Reply
Re: Live Stream of my Danish Hour Record Attempt Tomorrow (January 11th) [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pretty sure those are the stock pursuit bars on the Argon (I think Norm Alvis' were the same at least) so they must have met UCI approval.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations, and thanks for sharing!

For those of us who've followed you for some time, it's truly gratifying to see you reap the rewards of your hard work and dedication.
Quote Reply
Re: Live Stream of my Danish Hour Record Attempt Tomorrow (January 11th) [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For Norm, they did not do 3 to 1 measurements, just reach and pad to extension height.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Live Stream of my Danish Hour Record Attempt Tomorrow (January 11th) [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting...
It looked like they didn't check his saddle height relative to his extension height either (or it was right on the line)
Dang inconsistencies

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats!!!! But I want to know, how fast was your 10K run off the bike after that ride? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
Interesting...
It looked like they didn't check his saddle height relative to his extension height either (or it was right on the line)
Dang inconsistencies

I saw Norm's setup and thought WTF. Master's rule enforcement is all over the map. I have done road nationals and one year they show up with jigs and enforce saddle angle (less +/- 3 degree tilt) and total length, but not saddle/bar height. The next year they just weighed TT bikes, so anything goes. The year after it is total BB to extension length. Then I know last year they gave some people the 3rd degree for stupid things, like not enough water in the P4 bottle, but do whatever the hell you want with a P5. No measurements whatsoever at TTT nationals.

At some point I think they realize that old folks have enough health issues that aesthetic issues like saddle angle aren't worth enforcing (nobody cares what your bike looks like because you are lucky if your wife and kids even bother to show up). It would be nice if they would at least settle on a set of rules that were "reasonable" and stuck to those. Maybe the Brits and their CTT standards are onto something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Live Stream of my Danish Hour Record Attempt Tomorrow (January 11th) [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The ctt have their own set of unenforceable rules.
We have Graeme Obree to blame. His genius in pushing the limits during the 90s along with the UCI not liking him then rushing through some arbitrary rules that have been updated and played with have left us with the rules we have now.
In a way triathlon bike rules are nice and simple and allow for more innovation.
I digress.
Mtm did a great ride. Very intelligent too.
Quote Reply
Re: Live Stream of my Danish Hour Record Attempt Tomorrow (January 11th) [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
ilanias wrote:
New danish record and the fourth fastest time (ahead of Rohan Dennis) since the rule changes in 2014.

I would say hands down world record for a “hobbyist” who actually has a job.

Lost of respect for this effort, especially considering all of the behind the scenes technical work he has to do to get it right.

Well done, shame the pressure wasn’t in his favour to get him to 53. Looking forward to the report.

Maurice

He also took out one of Boardman's earlier times!!! This is what I get for not checking into ST and getting carried away at work. Is there a replay of this anywhere on the web???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
Thanks guys!

Super congrats. What would you think that the ideal barometric pressure and relative humidity needs to be for the most favourable attempt.
Quote Reply
Re: Live Stream of my Danish Hour Record Attempt Tomorrow (January 11th) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Super congrats. What would you think that the ideal barometric pressure and relative humidity needs to be for the most favourable attempt.

When you are at sea level you want the pressure as low as possible, and humid air has a lower viscosity than dry. Regarding the pressure, the highest fast tracks are in the 6-7k ft range, although higher would probably gain some speed for most riders. I don't know if a study has been done to determine if the viscosity lowering of humid air vs loss of oxygen content is a net gain, or if there is an optimum humidity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you got it by 13 meters? That's less than a second. Crazy awesome regardless of the record.
Quote Reply
Re: Live Stream of my Danish Hour Record Attempt Tomorrow (January 11th) [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hehe. I think I found the problem. I think the culprit was simply me forgetting to turn off auto-zero on the SRM - IMO they should get rid of that feature or at least make it off as standard as (IMO) anyone that doesn't know how to manually zero their powermeter is probably going to be at least as well of with something cheaper than an SRM. In training I used the Edge 1000 between my arms, but for the race you can't have a computer that you can look at, so I used my Ege 520 under the saddle for data collection. When you connect the SRM to a new computer the auto zero feature is on by default and I simply forgot to turn it off. Hate that "feature" on the SRM...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Those base bars also look like they are way wider than 3:1. I thought UCI had rolled that back for frames but kept it for bars or am I totally clueless.

It's the standard integrated stock pursuit bar from the Argon 18 Electron Pro track frame set. They were used by the Danish pursuit team in the Olympics in Rio (where they got bronze medal) and are actually quite thick, so I'm pretty sure they're within UCI regulations.
Quote Reply

Prev Next