Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Little Things You'd Pay Large Sums of Money For
Quote | Reply
Of course, I'd pay to drop my 100yd swim by 30 seconds, or increase my speed on the bike to 25mph. I'm not talking about those things. I'm talking about those little annoying things...seemingly 20-cent, everyday things...that you would ridiculously overpay for.

For me, the list starts with goggles that don't fog up or leak.
Quote Reply
Re: Little Things You'd Pay Large Sums of Money For [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A way of actually keeping my feet dry when commuting - so I don't have to put wet shoes/socks on for the journey home.

(have you tried the soap thing with goggles - then rinsing them before a swim?)

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Little Things You'd Pay Large Sums of Money For [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
A way of actually keeping my feet dry when commuting - so I don't have to put wet shoes/socks on for the journey home.

I haven't tried them, but Chrome has a pair of cycling shoes for commuting that looks quite good. https://www.chromeindustries.com/...&cgid=bike_shoes

I however soled this problem by using rain pants over tall rubber boots. Somewhat uncomfortable to pedal in (and obviously only works with flat pedals) but at least I'll stay dry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flat-proof fast tires. I bike commute a few days a week on a highway with very rough shoulders and I get rashes of flats. Changing tires sucks but worrying about flatting sucks more. I would pay a stupid amount of money for that.
Quote Reply
Re: Little Things You'd Pay Large Sums of Money For [minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I had thought about that 'system' - much like what you'd do mountain walking The trade-off is definitely how well they articulate.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be able to bike to work in my work clothes and not show up sweaty

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Little Things You'd Pay Large Sums of Money For [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A back alley handy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A pill or a shot that would magically make me faster and/ or recover quicker...

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Little Things You'd Pay Large Sums of Money For [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the following, or both:

-a wet lube that doesn't permanently stain anything it touches

OR

-white cycling shoes that have the craziest Scotch guard ever on them or space age fabric to resist the devil of wet chain lube

Next:
More road races for entry level bike racing, and more time trial. There are a thousand crits and cx races for every one RR around here. I think this year there were 4 total remotely close to me. I raced one of them, two others certainly would have required an overnight stay and pissed off wife and kids. My own fault, out of town for the 4th.

I feel a solution to this for us low level nobody racers in 4/5 would be for USAC to partner with some of the fondo series and put the bike racers on the front start line with a lead out gap and let em race the timed course.

You've got the permit, you've got the timing........sooo......two for one. Same for time trial, partner up with a local sprint triathlon and let the time trial only folks go off from T1 as the swimmers enter the water.

Where the money comes.......just tack on another $20 on top of the fondo/sprint fee to be in the USAC race. I mean, if the front 10% are going balls out already anyway in a fondo..........what's the difference?
Quote Reply
Re: Little Things You'd Pay Large Sums of Money For [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
One of the following, or both:

-a wet lube that doesn't permanently stain anything it touches

OR

-white cycling shoes that have the craziest Scotch guard ever on them or space age fabric to resist the devil of wet chain lube

Next:
More road races for entry level bike racing, and more time trial. There are a thousand crits and cx races for every one RR around here. I think this year there were 4 total remotely close to me. I raced one of them, two others certainly would have required an overnight stay and pissed off wife and kids. My own fault, out of town for the 4th.

I feel a solution to this for us low level nobody racers in 4/5 would be for USAC to partner with some of the fondo series and put the bike racers on the front start line with a lead out gap and let em race the timed course.

You've got the permit, you've got the timing........sooo......two for one. Same for time trial, partner up with a local sprint triathlon and let the time trial only folks go off from T1 as the swimmers enter the water.

Where the money comes.......just tack on another $20 on top of the fondo/sprint fee to be in the USAC race. I mean, if the front 10% are going balls out already anyway in a fondo..........what's the difference?

You aren’t getting more races if you don’t show up and support the ones you do have. Soon there will be less. Of course you’ve gotta get a hotel, that’s the case with most road races.
Quote Reply
Re: Little Things You'd Pay Large Sums of Money For [Hammer Down] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hammer Down wrote:
You aren’t getting more races if you don’t show up and support the ones you do have. Soon there will be less. Of course you’ve gotta get a hotel, that’s the case with most road races.

I hear ya, but we lost local RR over the last year. Of which I'd have done if I was riding at the time. I just had not taken up bike racing yet. I can't be at fault if I wasn't even riding yet. Lol. This was my first season ever.

Next year I'm likely ditching any fondos for actual RR. I don't count any TT or fondo stuff I did in that count. I did the TT until the series went bankrupt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever it was Cervelo planned to do with the P3 center bolt that they still put there despite having no earthly purpose for!

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Little Things You'd Pay Large Sums of Money For"

Diamonds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:

What's wrong with goretex cycling gaiters?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sunglasses that can stay spotless on a very sweaty day
Quote Reply
Re: Little Things You'd Pay Large Sums of Money For [salty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
salty wrote:
Flat-proof fast tires. I bike commute a few days a week on a highway with very rough shoulders and I get rashes of flats. Changing tires sucks but worrying about flatting sucks more. I would pay a stupid amount of money for that.

This is probably as good as you can do for now:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...rathon-almotion-2016

Set up tubeless they should roll pretty fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To not get Runners Stomach ever again.

Would sacrifice first born child.
Quote Reply
Re: Little Things You'd Pay Large Sums of Money For [Helliquin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Helliquin wrote:

Do a lot of dietary experimentation. That's what cured it for me. This may include pulling out "healthy" items.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Little Things You'd Pay Large Sums of Money For [Helliquin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Helliquin wrote:

BUT that is the fun part! Especially in a race when you start hauling and you get that dreaded thought of "ok I might be pushing it too much and if I am then Im gonna have to sh*t real quick"

It is like shooting craps. You just never know!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:

I'm a 5-day-a-week swimmer most of the year. All I do to keep fog free is a quick squirt of whatever soap is in the shower or at the sink in the locker room, and and a quick, light rinse. The trick is not to over-rinse.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A way to reduce wind noise on the bike that doesn't look as dorky as Cat Ears.

A real industry-wide standard to tubeless tires.

The abolition of press-fit bottom brackets or at least the development of a simple, tool-free installing, creak-free press fit solution.

Inexpensive but more durable swimming jammers. They're better than they were 20 years ago but still not great.

The addition of a "lace garage" to all running shoes.

A rattle-free, simple and reliable way to attach needed water, tools, food and other supplies to mountain bikes.

A foolproof way to quickly identify and eliminate bike noises.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i notice triathletes and swimmers take terrible care of their goggles. Treat them with respect(put them back in the box after each use) extends the life and keeps them almost new looking.(easier said than done i know)

a pair of Swedish goggles can go along way...if you can handle the first week of pain around your eye socket. also Swedish goggles are made so you can look at the wall without having to lift your head up
Last edited by: rudygt88: Aug 17, 18 9:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saffron threads.

Laser hair removal so I don't have to shave my legs all the time. And my ass cheeks. Maybe my taint while we're at it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A Patek Philppe watch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:
A back alley handy

Really, i'm the first one to comment on this? Awesome, reply..lol. Except that you are implying you have a "little thing".
Quote Reply

Prev Next