Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Little Injury Getting to me Mentally ahead of HIM
Quote | Reply
I am 2 weeks out from my 1st HIM... hopefully. I trained up for NOLA last year and it was cancelled the morning of the race :)

Two weeks ago I got a little foot injury (little inflammation that comes and goes). I took that week off from running and focused on bike and swim. Last week I was able to run about 16 miles, but the injury came back on Friday.

Now... I have 2 weeks until the HIM and probably shouldnt run for a few days. That gives me about 16 to maybe 30 miles running in 4 weeks. It also has me scared to hop on the bike. I decided not to bike this morning since it was still tender.

Anyway, mentally Im a bit freaked out for the HIM with limited running over 4 weeks, and maybe limited biking this week.

Any thoughts from anyone who has been in this situation? Im also exactly 5 months out from my 1st full IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Little Injury Getting to me Mentally ahead of HIM [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember my state of mind and body just before my first HIM - I was dog tired and also jumpy and pretty mental and stressed. Then i badly stubbed my big toe and nearly ripped off my toenail. It all worked out well in the end. I have turned out to be very run injury prone so manage on very little running - i even did an IM on basically 15-20 miles per week and it was fine.

If you've done the months of training and you manage to turn up at the start line at the right time and don't do anything stupid with pre-race food then you'll be fine. It's a long way, but it's definitely doable. Just really resist the urge to cram some last minute training in, that doesn't tend to work well....

As someone once said to me the day before a race when i was debating going to run intervals: "Nothing you can do now will make you faster, but it might well make you a lot slower"
Quote Reply
Re: Little Injury Getting to me Mentally ahead of HIM [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah! I am super nervous of every step I take, or every movement of my body. I dont want to miss out on the 2nd HIM I have paid in full.
Quote Reply
Re: Little Injury Getting to me Mentally ahead of HIM [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha. Just get ready to enjoy it. It is awesome fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whenever I get close to race week, and think "Dammit! I should've done more! What can I do now?" I tell myself, "Any drastic changes now - under a panic/crunch situation - would probably do more harm than good. Just stick to the plan"

YMMV

#trustyrbase

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not exactly, but similar. I got a foot injury in December that led to surgery in late January. I did not start running again until mid March, but then 2 weeks of travel and vacation boxed me out from all activity. I resumed training the 2nd week of April. I could do some biking and swimming around the surgery, but not much. I lost a ton of fitness.

My HIM is in 10 days.

So far I have just 95 miles of running for all of 2018. So far, I have just 4 full weeks of training this year (where I was doing all three disciplines). I have a few weeks earlier in the year when I was able to bike or swim. I know I am deeply under-prepared. I will just to to enjoy the event.

You are way better off than me. Missing these few weeks of training are a hiccup. They burn your confidence a little, but your race will be good.
Quote Reply