Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
List of things to make you/your bike faster
Quote | Reply
I am just thinking of all the things you can do for optimum "aeroness", apart from the obvious buy X bike and Y wheels. Coming from the position that you have a bike and are not looking at replacing it outright. Feel free to tell me where I am wrong, right & what I am missing

Tyres
Aero & low rolling resistance.
Tubeless has the lowest rolling resistance
Latex tubes
Wider is better - Depending on rim width
Lower pressure

Chain
Clean it, ideally in an ultrasonic clear, treat it to remove cleaning fluid & dry it.
Lubes matter - Hot melt wax is the gold standard. Drip wax like squirt might be a bit easier

Position
Wind tunnel time & track testing is now available at a cost. Might be cheaper than a new bike
Lower isn't always the most aero
You can test yourself on the road for position, Chung method
Angling of tri bars seems to work better for most
All body shapes are individual
Older bike might be worth replacing the front end

Helmets
Need to test to see which works best for your body shape/position on the bike
With/without visor?

Skewers
Aero skewers might be a cheap aero gain

Brakes
Older frames a TriRig brake could be more aero

Derailleur
Oversized pulleys and ceramic bearings. Are very expensive and very marginally benefit

Bearings
Ceramic bearings in hubs and bottom brackets. Are very expensive and very marginal benefit.

Clothing
A lot of innovation here. Look at the material & fit of the skinsuit, are looking for no wrinkles and longsleeves. Looking at overshoes, aero socks, airflow over socks
Aero shoes are in development

Pedals
Speedplay pedals have the lowest stack and are the most aero
Last edited by: LCD: Jan 28, 21 5:50
Quote Reply
Re: Complete list of aeroness [LCD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've got lots of stuff mixed in there that's not aerodynamic drag related (all of the chain, derailleur and bearing sections and most of the tyre section!)
I'd remove them, or change the thread title and intro to say you're talking about all loss reduction opportunities.

As you've written it, it seemed to me that you reckon the bike frame and wheels are the big gains that might not be affordable, and the rest are the cheaper options that might help compensate. In reality, the bike frame and wheels are probably much less important than position and clothing for most people, unless the frame is needed to facilitate the position. Apologies it I infered incorrectly.
Quote Reply
Re: Complete list of aeroness [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. You are correct they are not all aero. i suppose I am looking at ways to go faster without buying a new bike or wheels. Looking for the gains that might not be obvious
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe the title could be "ways to reduce drag".
You could add bottles or drinking systems. Include storage for gels/tools.
The one on my mind is how to attach a number that is withing the rules for tri without it flapping. Nopinz pocket?
Quote Reply
Re: List of things to make you/your bike faster [LCD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LCD wrote:
I am just thinking of all the things you can do for optimum "aeroness", apart from the obvious buy X bike and Y wheels. Coming from the position that you have a bike and are not looking at replacing it outright. Feel free to tell me where I am wrong, right & what I am missing

Tyres
Aero & low rolling resistance.
Tubeless has the lowest rolling resistance
Latex tubes
Wider is better - Depending on rim width
Lower pressure

Chain
Clean it, ideally in an ultrasonic clear, treat it to remove cleaning fluid & dry it.
Lubes matter - Hot melt wax is the gold standard. Drip wax like squirt might be a bit easier

Position
Wind tunnel time & track testing is now available at a cost. Might be cheaper than a new bike
Lower isn't always the most aero
You can test yourself on the road for position, Chung method
All body shapes are individual
Older bike might be worth replacing the front end

Helmets
Need to test to see which works best for your body shape/position on the bike
With/without visor?

Skewers
Aero skewers might be a cheap aero gain

Brakes
Older frames a TriRig brake could be more aero

Derailleur
Oversized pulleys and ceramic bearings. Are very expensive and very marginally benefit

Bearings
Ceramic bearings in hubs and bottom brackets. Are very expensive and very marginal benefit.

Clothing
A lot of innovation here. Look at the material & fit of the skinsuit, are looking for no wrinkles and longsleeves. Looking at overshoes, aero socks, airflow over socks
Aero shoes are in development

Pedals
Speedplay pedals have the lowest stack and are the most aero

Wider isn't necessarily better.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: List of things to make you/your bike faster [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

shhhhhhhhhhh

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With all due respect to Ashley Horner: Squats

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: List of things to make you/your bike faster [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

shhhhhhhhhhh

sorry mate...

Yes, wider is always faster. I recommend 50mm tires, especially if you are in the M50-54 AG.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With regards to 'make you' - lose weight.

When your ribs poke through and your family stages an intervention, you are at race weight.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Jan 28, 21 7:07
Quote Reply
Re: List of things to make you/your bike faster [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
With all due respect to Ashley Horner: Squats

It's what my body craves.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
List of things to make you/your bike faster

I did not see, "Ride (a lot) More" on your list! :-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Things that will make my bike faster: Another rider.

Things that will make me faster: Turning the clock back a couple decades.

Things that will make me *and* my bike faster: Being chased by Eddie.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: List of things to make you/your bike faster [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahem:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Don%E2%80%99t_Overthink:_Just_Buy_These_Products_P6558249/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LCD wrote:

Position

And there have been times when you've been able to combine a bike fit + tunnel time in 1 stop. We're working on another one of these sessions in fact.

Angling of tri bars does not seem to work better for most, at least not from an aerodynamics standpoint. 15% to at most 20% of the time a yaw it's more aero. IDK if I'm not testing if I'm betting against a 4 out of 5 times it's going to be slower.

With helmets there is a clear consensus what to use if you're not going to test, at least right now. The meta may change in a year or two. But for now it's clear which helmet to use.

The 3 biggest things would be:
1. more training time and/or doing some 7-10d camps strategically placed in your season
2. more recovery time - sleep is the #1 underutilized training tool
3. better body composition - The best way to weight weenie your bike is lose a pound of BF

I agree, you should run 50mm wide tires and angle the F out of those extensions if you're in the M50-54 AG!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jan 28, 21 11:04
Quote Reply
Re: List of things to make you/your bike faster [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
LCD wrote:

Position

And there have been times when you've been able to combine a bike fit + tunnel time in 1 stop. We're working on another one of these sessions in fact.

Angling of tri bars does not seem to work better for most, at least not from an aerodynamics standpoint. 15% to at most 20% of the time a yaw it's more aero. IDK if I'm not testing if I'm betting against a 4 out of 5 times it's going to be slower.

With helmets there is a clear consensus what to use if you're not going to test, at least right now. The meta may change in a year or two. But for now it's clear which helmet to use.

The 3 biggest things would be:
1. more training time and/or doing some 7-10d camps strategically placed in your season
2. more recovery time - sleep is the #1 underutilized training tool
3. better body composition - The best way to weight weenie your bike is lose a pound of BF

I agree, you should run 50mm wide tires and angle the F out of those extensions if you're in the M50-54 AG!

X100 to the better sleep.

I'm a terrible sleeper, chronic insomnia. So if I try to go to bed at a reasonable time, I either wake up at 3 am or can't sleep at all. I've started taking melotonin at bedtime (I still go to bed later than I should, although earlier than I was), and it's made a big difference to both wattage and my general mood.

I'll add to the list - fuel the workouts. Don't try to lose weight by cutting calories on the bike. (ironically, and probably no surprise to the coaches here, I was gaining weight by underfueling the workouts).

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jan 28, 21 12:05
Quote Reply
Re: List of things to make you/your bike faster [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is probably one of the best podcast episodes on any topic I've ever listened to. So much so, that I took notes, relevant to my poor wife who is both suffering from insomnia, and has to deal with long emails from me.
Sleep Podcast by Revive Stronger DM or request here if you want the sparknotes. TLDR: this is a sleep hygiene masterclass.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LCD wrote:
what I am missing

Chain

Premier bike optimized chain if you are doing 10 or 11 speed. Also, Ice friction (or the like) on chain. Not sure how it compares to wax in term of speed gained, but it should help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Common sense bike inspection. I'm always amazed at the condition of some folks bikes. Things I've seen when folks are having a bad (slow) day: Tires rubbing frame. Brake shoes rubbing. Untrue wheels hitting brake pads. Dry chain. Gunk chain. BB so tight you could measure resistance with a torque wrench. Low air pressure. Old/dry/shot/miss adjusted bearings. Gunked up freehub. Dry squealing jockey rollers. Rattling rubbing misadjusted derailleurs. Etc. I'm sure there's more but you get the point. I still ride a 12 year old aluminum (P1) bike with tubes, and still use old style chain oil, and have mechanical everything... but on race day, it's all serviced and adjusted perfectly, and I kick the shit out of a lot of miss adjusted and un-cared for carbon.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: List of things to make you/your bike faster [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
This is probably one of the best podcast episodes on any topic I've ever listened to. So much so, that I took notes, relevant to my poor wife who is both suffering from insomnia, and has to deal with long emails from me.
Sleep Podcast by Revive Stronger DM or request here if you want the sparknotes. TLDR: this is a sleep hygiene masterclass.

You’d think that the long emails would take care of that insomnia ;-)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

You’d think that the long emails would take care of that insomnia ;-)

I'll give it a more concerted effort! ha!

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I'll say it. Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.
Quote Reply
Re: List of things to make you/your bike faster [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
Ok, I'll say it. Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.
Ok, I'll say it. Do both.
;)

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To make my bike go faster i push on the pedals harder. Seems simple enough

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Work on the engine and body mass index.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO a ceramic bearing is great if you stay on top of it maintenance wise and replace frequently (say like a pro tour team). Since the ceramic balls are harder than their housing, there's a higher probability of the bearings micro denting their track (race) & ruining the whole 'faster' system.

A steel system won't impress anyone, but it will perform consistently throughout time. Especially if your race bike is also the day to day bike, indoor trainer bike, days when its raining but I gotta train anyway bike. Just get some solid grease in the BB and you'll be good.

Also, I have a hard time justifying over sized pulley wheels. IMO just get rid of the god awful stock pulleys and replace with something that has a bearing system. Put the saved $$ in doge coin or whatever.
Quote Reply

Prev Next