Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

List great non-WTC ironman-distance races.
Quote | Reply
In another post we had a discussion about how overprized the WTC events are. You can go to Quelle Challenge Roth for 200$ but you have to put down 400$ to go to Lake Placid. I did those WTC races for about 10 years now but now it's getting too much, not anymore.

Anybody knows a well organized ironman-distance race with some character and a good product for the price (non-WTC only):

My favorite is Roth (200$): http://www4.challengeroth.com/
Quote Reply
Re: List great non-WTC ironman-distance races. [agret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great Floridian in Clermont, FL in October is a pretty good race. Not the fanfare of WTC Ironman's, but it's a very good race to do.
Quote Reply
Full Vineman [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.vineman.com/index_main.php3?l=f
race is Aug 23rd
still open for entry
beautifull course in the the Sonoma Wine Country
early reg $250 late reg up to $330

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about Ultramax in Missouri and Duke Blue Devil in North Carolina.

Bob Sigerson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I have not done the race, or any Ironman for that matter, I have heard good reviews from the inaugural Cascade Lakes Ironman in Oregon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sept 27, 2004, Tri-Columbia will be staging an IM distance race in Camgridge Md. If it's two laps of Eagleman (logical guess) it will be fast and fun!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: List great non-WTC ironman-distance races. [sig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
second vote for ultramax. best and classiest race i have ever participated in.

geoff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New to the game so I am passing on others recommendations here: Home De Ferro in Portugal and The Longest Day here in sunny England!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check it out. It has yet to be run, but it's gorgeous (gold) country, and a bit o' climbin' fer ya...

http://www.japroductions.com/cm/index.html

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: List great non-WTC ironman-distance races. [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duke Blue Devil

Go Big Red
Quote Reply
Re: List great non-WTC ironman-distance races. [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Sept 27, 2004, Tri-Columbia will be staging an IM distance race in Camgridge Md. If it's two laps of Eagleman (logical guess) it will be fast and fun!
Well, fast and boring anyway. Eagleman is a well run race but the course isn't exactly scenic and the area isn't what you would call paradise. Having said that I'll probably do the race! Is this official yet?
Quote Reply
Re: List great non-WTC ironman-distance races. [sevans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, riding through that swamp, er, nature preserve isn't exactly beautiful, but cranking along at 24mph for hours is. The first time I did Eagleman I thought is was a great race that needed a better spot. Now I think it is one of the best. Goig twice around, it will be twice as good!

I got an email comformation from Vigo, that the race is on for 2004!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Last edited by: Sweeney: Jul 14, 03 15:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You want scenic, great atmosphere, fabulous bike course, race with amazing history, won by the best in the world, go to Nice.

It may not be as well organized as a WTC event, but it is different and the course is just awesome, lots of spectators, great venue, tough bike course, flat run in City Centre (by the sea).

And for me at least it is long enough to feel the atmosphere of long distance triathlons, just as you said, a great long distance triathlon cheaper than WTC events, and with more history (except for Hawaii).

I don't understand why long distance champions (the ones contending at Hawaii) don't go to Nice anymore, like Mark Allen, Scott Molina and even Dave Scott used to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to add the Mountain Extreme Triathlon (MXT) to the list. (www.mxtri.com). Well run even in its first year, and will only get better...lots of nice little touches. Make no mistake, however, this race is TOUGH! Fastest bike split this year (by Xterra Pro, Scott Shumaker) was just over 9 hours, and I'm frankly stunned that he was able to ride it that fast. Cut off time to finish is 24 hours, and special finisher awards go to those who finish before midnight (18 hours). They ran a simultaneous Half (called it a "Mini") and the winner finished in just under 9 hours; third place in just under 11! Amazing course, truly beautiful setting, lots of kewl schwag; it's just going to get bigger and better. Most people I talked to can't wait to do it again.
Quote Reply