Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lisa Bentley Rumour?
Quote | Reply
Popped into a non-LBS that I happened to drive by, but had heard decent things about (Racer Sportif). Nice store, friendly sales guy.

While talking tri, he mentioned that Lisa Bentley was in a very untraditional cycling accident. While getting fitted at a local tri store for her new bike, she was up in the bike on a trainer. For whatever reason, the trainer is on top of a table. Bike is poorly secured, and the whole thing (with her clipped in) tumbles off the table.

Apparently, she's broken some fingers, her arm, and cracked a few ribs. Goodbye, 2004 season. Goodbye, Kona.

Met her a few weeks back, and she is incedibly nice, and unbelievable tiny. If the rumour is true, I'm surprised this is all the damage she sustained, given her size.

Anyone know if this is true?
Quote Reply
Re: Lisa Bentley Rumour? [mfreeman72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear it. Saw her at Kingston and am also surprised how small in stature she is.

BTW, do you mean Racer Sportif in Toronto, the same guys who make Aqulia road and tri bikes? (my wife has an Aquila ti road bike).
Quote Reply
Re: Lisa Bentley Rumour? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, that's the one. Didn't know they make Aquila; might explain why 80% of the frames in there are Aquila.

Duh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They also sponsor Bulldog Racing, a roadie team, all on Aquila's.

Len Gushe is now on an Aquila, actually a road bike set up for tris with a forward seat post. Last year he won the half in Muskoka on a Cervelo P3 and this year won it again this past year on the Aquilla (faster bike split this year, go figure).

We were watching the race on TV and all of a sudden my wife says "that guy is on my bike". She also has a P2K so I responded "Yeah, he rides a Cervelo". She then responded "no, he's on my road bike". Sure enough he was and also set the fastest bike split.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>pparently, she's broken some fingers, her arm, and cracked a few ribs. Goodbye, 2004 season. Goodbye, Kona.<<

OK, let's nip this rumor in the bud. According to someone who knows and has talked to Lisa, here is the real story:

"Yes, she fell off her bike while on a trainer - but not on a table - what is that a new idea of "table dancing " <g>.

She is not as injured as described and she is definitely not saying goodbye to 2004 at all - she will be out there kicking butt and taking names!!"

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The listed injuries are grossly exagerated, but that does not surprise me at all given the source you mention. The truth seems elusive in that shop. Just like they put second-hand Cervelos in the window to lure people in, even though they are not a Cervelo dealer (yet customers tell me frequently they claim they are).

Anyway, Lisa was in an unfortunate accident where there was a miscommunication between the fitter and her, each thinking the other had secured the bike (normally obviously the fitter's job except that the fitter had a broken collarbone at the time - hockey can be a dangerous game).

It's not my place to go into detail about her condition, but she still hasn't even ruled out racing Santos at the end of this month. So to suggest 2004 is shot and Kona is out is just absurd, although again not too surprising given the source.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: Lisa Bentley Rumour? [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"they put second-hand Cervelos in the window to lure people in, even though they are not a Cervelo dealer "

Wow. Gerard, that shouldn't be on, but I'd better stay out of this one. Only been there once and don't recall seeing Cervelos, although there could have been. Could it have been second hand trade ins? Lots of Aquilla's though. We are very impressed with my wife's titanium Aquilla road bike. But we're also very impressed with our Cervelos also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now now. No need to sling mud. Racer Sportif and Endurosport both have their merits. Kris and Dennis are pretty stand up guys in my experience, and any LBS is going to pass on rumours - that's half the reason we visit them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gerard,

Thanks for clearing that up. I was genuinely worried, as she is such an ubelievably nice, approachable person. When I approached her at the Endurosport open house, she was incredibly personable, and actually asked me questions, and listened!

While it'd be a shame for that to happen to anyone, it'd be a real shame for it to happen to her.
Hope she heals quickly.

Interesting point about Racer Sportif. There was a Cervelo frame hanging just as you got in the shop (or in the window), but few others to be found in the store. I didn't ask, but I should have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just visited the Racer Sportif website the other day, and they're advertising a Cervelo DEMO Clearance Sale -- framesets and complete bikes for P3, P2K, Eyre, and ?. Hmmmm.
Quote Reply