Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lippert 2/2
Quote | Reply
So, per the article on the front page...and the hilarious instagram I follow. Justin Lippert went 2 for 2 at AG NATS.

I am wondering what the ST experts have to say about it. Does this guy have any ITU potential?

• He is still young 20-24
  • Was a pure runner in college
  • Morgan Pearson was adopted by the program after last years sprint
EDIT: He has done a few triathlons before this.

ame:Justin LippertAge:22Gender:MaleState:South Carolina
Triathlon Races

• RaceDateFinish TimeScore
    JerseyMan Triathlon[/url]5/19/201802:20:17.44104.604
    2018 Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas[/url]4/7/201804:03:11.00104.38
    2017 USA Triathlon Collegiate Club Nationals Olympic-Distance[/url]4/21/201701:59:40.70101.699
    Dare to Tri - Fort Gordon[/url]3/24/201700:49:25.0095.068

Last edited by: LifeTri: Aug 13, 18 10:43
Quote Reply
Re: Lippert 2/2 [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any one know what his swim background is?

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Last edited by: Brandes: Aug 13, 18 11:44
Quote Reply
Re: Lippert 2/2 [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know he was swimming with the Dudes of the DTE. Thats their instagram handle...they are hilarious.

At least one of them was an NCAA swimmer...if not more of them.

I started following one of them after the Philadelphia Escape Triathlon event in 2017. The kid was in the pro field there and was, of course, racing in a speedo. He kept proclaiming that he was the "First Place Speedo!!!" as he was doing the course. Pure joy.

Regardless...his swim cannot be that bad if he is winning back to back USAT Nats. It actually speaks to his upside one the swim if he doesn't have a formal background.

Additionally, he's only 22, went 4:03 in his first HIM, and scored over the pro level threshold on the USAT par score system enough that he could have taken his pro card already.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you think dudes of DTE is funny you should check out @wattslayer69. Definitely revolutionized triathlon humor[/reply]
Mark Kolding - Rookie Pro 2019 Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With what his coach just said, he really doesnt have a bright future in ITU. I sure hope he doesnt waste his time going that route as its a $ suck with no real reward. His strength is non draft and really doesnt have the background (apparently) to reach the swimming level required for ITU racing. Seems like a great talent but would be better off in the non draft sphere. Probably more fun for him also.

LifeTri wrote:
I know he was swimming with the Dudes of the DTE. Thats their instagram handle...they are hilarious.

At least one of them was an NCAA swimmer...if not more of them.

I started following one of them after the Philadelphia Escape Triathlon event in 2017. The kid was in the pro field there and was, of course, racing in a speedo. He kept proclaiming that he was the "First Place Speedo!!!" as he was doing the course. Pure joy.

Regardless...his swim cannot be that bad if he is winning back to back USAT Nats. It actually speaks to his upside one the swim if he doesn't have a formal background.

Additionally, he's only 22, went 4:03 in his first HIM, and scored over the pro level threshold on the USAT par score system enough that he could have taken his pro card already.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by jwpetersen3 [ In reply to ]
Re: Lippert 2/2 [jwpetersen3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While thats good to hear... I will respectfully disagree. We don't need anymore USA men "competing" on the ITU circuit. We need to put more stock into whats happening with Juniors to u23 at ASU with the podium project with proven results on the Jr level. Not 20+ year olds trying to make up lost time. With that, you've done a great job with him. 2x National Champion is very impressive.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair points to you both, and thank you both for your input.

His run is clearly making him a competitor on the HIM front and if his bike and swim are better this might be the path of least resistance. That and he cant wear a speedo in ITU.

I actually have another question for you guys.. Feel free to answer here or PM me.

As the parents of two young girls (5 & 3) my wife and I have been thinking about where we want to raise them when we make a move in the next few years. (We currently live in a big city with no youth multisport teams close by). What do you believe to be the 5 best places and 5 best youth programs for young children? Even if the answer is...move to Europe, we are open to it. We just want our kids leading happy and active lives.
Last edited by: LifeTri: Aug 14, 18 11:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Multisport Madness in Chicago Burbs. They have a youth group, youth elite, to junior elite. The youth team is very big and has a great synergy.

The kids also do high school sports which is essential that they dont get burned out of triathlon by age 8... which Ive seen too many times. Get your kid involved in many sports. Swimming, yes. Soccer= great sport for developing running speed that will be key for later development. But think of it like swimming, burns kids out early and they move to something else. Your kids are too young fully commit to tri. You dont want your kid to be the 13 year old champion and be gone by 16. See that year after year. It happens from over zealous parents who burn out their kids.

Happy to discuss this more privately as ive seen this happen constantly in the USAT youth/junior scene.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by jwpetersen3 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwpetersen3 wrote:
USAT Project Podium is great, however I don't believe there is a single answer to developing top ITU athletes. Just like we are another option, the CRP is a different option as well. We went up against athletes from both the PP and CRP this weekend. The more pathways and opportunities we have for athletes the better. You don't hear elite running, swimming, or cycling squads saying we don't need more athletes competing for spots. Sometimes the athletes that make it are the ones the governing bodies don't choose. With that said, I am also not limiting the squad to USA athletes either.

As far as your children, that is a little much to make a call on at those ages. They might not even like triathlon or any endurance sport for that matter. If they like swimming, let them swim. I wouldn't move children so young for a youth sports team. There are much more important things in life that will play a bigger role in their athletic and non-athletic success.

Then how do you suggest I build super human, halo master chief, kamikaze triathletes?

...you have taken the joy out of parenting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With kids triathlon, I'm going to echo Brandes comments.....you don't want 8 year "triathletes".....you want 6 and 8 and 11 year old athletes.....you want triathlon to be an addition sport, not "all in on triathlon" (I'll tell that to 8 year old baseball parents or softball parents too), imo would be a great summer only idea for kids that young. Let them play soccer, basketball, swim, etc. Triathlon has great cross over benefits for youth with learning coordination, team skills, and work ethic. Just never put them on a "training plan" at that young of an age. Tri is a great summer event for those age of athletes, it's when you get singular focused on triathlon at that young of age, just likely not going to turn out well. What Steve was saying about burn out is completely true.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Lippert 2/2 [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With that, you've done a great job with him. 2x National Champion is very impressive.

--------

This....well done James and to your squad.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Lippert 2/2 [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
With kids triathlon, I'm going to echo Brandes comments.....you don't want 8 year "triathletes".....you want 6 and 8 and 11 year old athletes.....you want triathlon to be an addition sport, not "all in on triathlon" (I'll tell that to 8 year old baseball parents or softball parents too), imo would be a great summer only idea for kids that young. Let them play soccer, basketball, swim, etc. Triathlon has great cross over benefits for youth with learning coordination, team skills, and work ethic. Just never put them on a "training plan" at that young of an age. Tri is a great summer event for those age of athletes, it's when you get singular focused on triathlon at that young of age, just likely not going to turn out well. What Steve was saying about burn out is completely true.

Noted, and sounds great!

We want the girls in basketball, soccer, and swimming. We have them in soccer shots and swimming lessons right now. We also have them riding their little kid Trek bikes around (off of which my 5 year old is voluntarily doing flying dismounts and bricks. She literally started to do flying dismounts on her own because she saw it on TV). She thinks triathletes are the coolest and I want to keep it that way. I will take the advice of having it as an add on sport to heart.
Quote Reply