Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lionel is already in Kona
Quote | Reply
Cue the naysayers, he's an idiot, has no clue, yada yada yada. Let's hear It.
He seems dead set on nailing down his nutrition in the actual conditions. Not sure he is staying for the whole month.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is already in Kona [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does every Sanders super fan need his own thread on ST?
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is already in Kona [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:

I don't know...quickly scanning down the first page I see one hater thread and one fanboi thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is already in Kona [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:

Thank you, you proved my point, out come the haters and naysayers!!! Just waiting for Pubic Hair to chime in, rant this, jilted lover that, I hate LS this. blah blah blah!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you know this?
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is already in Kona [Flanny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Instagram post
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is already in Kona [Flanny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flanny wrote:
How do you know this?

https://www.instagram.com/...igshid=1whja2r37hqad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if he is going to ride outside? Last year
He said he only rode outside like 2 in Kona before the race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a terrible swing. The forward knee breaks a bit on the back swing and goes a bit valgus and the front foot rotates a bit through contact and follow through .

I would say it was a bit of a slice, but we may never know unfortunately
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is already in Kona [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 It’s a bad swing, but it’s not nearly as ugly as his running or bike form. That’ said, I hope he wins.
His swing looks like CP30.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JustTooFarr wrote:
Not a terrible swing. The forward knee breaks a bit on the back swing and goes a bit valgus and the front foot rotates a bit through contact and follow through .

I would say it was a bit of a slice, but we may never know unfortunately

Valgus huh? Lionel's knees will only go valgus if you break them! A potential concern if I were him, his varus knee alignment is likely hammering away at his medial compartment of his knees, hopefully no OA in the family tree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

He clearly has some talent in golf but is wasting it and that really ticks me off. He is so arrogant, thinking he can become a pro and has no clue what it takes. If he just got a coach, he could challenge for at least 2 of the majors next year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is already in Kona [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk, you’re on fire today! Love it.

Sanuk wrote:

He clearly has some talent in golf but is wasting it and that really ticks me off. He is so arrogant, thinking he can become a pro and has no clue what it takes. If he just got a coach, he could challenge for at least 2 of the majors next year.

Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is already in Kona [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

lmao
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CementBottle wrote:
Jackets wrote:

Thank you, you proved my point, out come the haters and naysayers!!! Just waiting for Pubic Hair to chime in, rant this, jilted lover that, I hate LS this. blah blah blah!!!!

I've lurked through these forums for about 18 months now, and I don't think Jackets is necessarily a Sanders-hater. I think he's like me and is a Sanders-fan boy hater. Big difference. I myself don't dislike him, but it is funny (and annoying) to see how everyone fawns over him. I remember one thread that was talking about how muscular he was, and that at some point turned into him becoming an MMA fighter! And the funny thing is that I don't think people were joking at all.

I liken this fan-boyism similar to Cub's fanboys and Batman fanboys. I have nothing against the Cub's but I can't stand the fans (especially when you live in the North Side of Chicago and they're everywhere). As for Batman fanboys, they are the worst (over in comicvine)!!!

Ok, maybe I do hate the Cubs themselves just a little :D
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is already in Kona [THRILLHO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THRILLHO wrote:
CementBottle wrote:
Jackets wrote:

I've lurked through these forums for about 18 months now, and I don't think Jackets is necessarily a Sanders-hater. I think he's like me and is a Sanders-fan boy hater. Big difference. I myself don't dislike him, but it is funny (and annoying) to see how everyone fawns over him. I remember one thread that was talking about how muscular he was, and that at some point turned into him becoming an MMA fighter! And the funny thing is that I don't think people were joking at all.

I liken this fan-boyism similar to Cub's fanboys and Batman fanboys. I have nothing against the Cub's but I can't stand the fans (especially when you live in the North Side of Chicago and they're everywhere). As for Batman fanboys, they are the worst (over in comicvine)!!!

Interesting, because I feel the exact same way about the Frodo fanboys. I don't even care much who wins Kona, but I have little patience for front-runner hanger-ons acting like attaching themselves to success causes that success to rub off on them. And I can hardly blame the Sanders fans when the Sanders haters post as many threads and talk as loudly, baiting the fans into stupid internet fights. Maybe there should just be one Kona super-thread for all this nonsense.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is already in Kona [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how much of the early arrival decision was JAN BEING INJURED OUT OF KONA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
THRILLHO wrote:
CementBottle wrote:
Jackets wrote:

Interesting, because I feel the exact same way about the Frodo fanboys. I don't even care much who wins Kona, but I have little patience for front-runner hanger-ons acting like attaching themselves to success causes that success to rub off on them. And I can hardly blame the Sanders fans when the Sanders haters post as many threads and talk as loudly, baiting the fans into stupid internet fights. Maybe there should just be one Kona super-thread for all this nonsense.

Yeah people are very polarized here, which might be a good thing for the sport? I do like a few thing about each pro: Sanders has the best TRS radio podcasts, and the best Cupcakes with Callum episode. It was very cool of Jan to finish out Kona last year despite having no chance to win. I wouldn't necessarily call myself a fan of either though.

I'll tell you who needs a fanboy club: Lange! He gets no love here it seems. Believe it or not, I actually had him for winning Kona last year ever since 2016 where he would've won (probably) had he not gotten that penalty. And yes, yes, I know we can do hypotheticals ad nauseum about who could've won if this or that happened. Anyway, I thought he would win until I heard that Macca podcast episode with the Grangers who wrote him off. I drank the Koolaid and wrote him off after that episode too. Not again!

I will add that I like Lange (and Gomez for that matter) because they are both runners, and running is my strongest discipline. Even thought it'd cost me a few bucks in my bet against Monty, I wouldn't mind Sanders coming in 3rd overall as long as Lange and Gomez come in first and second. Runners rule!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
THRILLHO wrote:
Toby wrote:
THRILLHO wrote:
CementBottle wrote:
Jackets wrote:

Yeah people are very polarized here, which might be a good thing for the sport? I do like a few thing about each pro: Sanders has the best TRS radio podcasts, and the best Cupcakes with Callum episode. It was very cool of Jan to finish out Kona last year despite having no chance to win. I wouldn't necessarily call myself a fan of either though.

I'll tell you who needs a fanboy club: Lange! He gets no love here it seems. Believe it or not, I actually had him for winning Kona last year ever since 2016 where he would've won (probably) had he not gotten that penalty. And yes, yes, I know we can do hypotheticals ad nauseum about who could've won if this or that happened. Anyway, I thought he would win until I heard that Macca podcast episode with the Grangers who wrote him off. I drank the Koolaid and wrote him off after that episode too. Not again!

I will add that I like Lange (and Gomez for that matter) because they are both runners, and running is my strongest discipline. Even thought it'd cost me a few bucks in my bet against Monty, I wouldn't mind Sanders coming in 3rd overall as long as Lange and Gomez come in first and second. Runners rule!

Exactly. Thanks for giving Lange some love!

Sander.....who cares.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
THRILLHO wrote:
CementBottle wrote:
Jackets wrote:

Well between being a Frodo fan and Sanders fan, I may as well hide under a rock around here. Add in my interest in Kienle+Starky+Wurf+Amberger and I may as well just step over to an alternate fast biker universe that a bunch of people around here love to hate. Maybe I should just go hang out in Britain with the team Sky fan club just to ensure that I meet all the checkmarks for the full on ST hate LOL! You know those silly Brits who just won the Giro + Tour de France and now Britain can claim the Vuelta too.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is already in Kona [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be great to see Amberger do well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I will add that I like Lange (and Gomez for that matter) because they are both runners, and running is my strongest discipline. Even thought it'd cost me a few bucks in my bet against Monty, I wouldn't mind Sanders coming in 3rd overall as long as Lange and Gomez come in first and second. Runners rule![/quote]
I like Lange, but he's one of those guys who gets a little close on the bike. Like...I would have been less surprised to see him get another penalty last year than worrying about the hypotheticals from the year before. But he's majestic on the run - you just never see him until then so it seems like he's not really putting it out there until the run. That said - when it works it's spectacular.

Plus - he seems like an awesome dude - but just also like a regular nice guy - not a super big persona or anything (I would say Lionel, Sebi, Frodo etc have bigger personalities - Ali Brownlee - where Gomez maybe not as much? - another discussion perhaps).

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is already in Kona [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That might be another reason I like Lange and Gomez; they don't have big personalities. Barry Greenstein and Scott Jurek are two of my favorite "celebrities," and I would argue that neither have big personas.

Speaking of Scott Jurek, this whole Lange thing reminds me a little about him. Have you read "Eat and Run"? Good book. Anyway, he talked about how no one believed he would win Western States when he first tried, but he did (this was after him already winning several other ultra marathons). And after he won, everyone thought it was a fluke, and that he wouldn't win again. But he won several more times. This sounds like some of the stuff I hear about Lange (see below for example). Now I'm not saying he'll be a six-time world champion or anything like that, but I'd say he's got at least another win (and a handful of more podiums).

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Is_there_any_stopping_Patrick_Lange_at_Kona_P6731853/?search_string=lange#p6731853
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is already in Kona [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To avoid creating a 7th thread on Lionel...

His latest post on Instagram shows that he ditched his TriRig cockpit for an ENVE bar with undermount extensions.
Furthermore, clicking over to Cycle Culture’s IG, it looks to me like Lionel will be running a Jet6 front wheel. I think that’s the smarter move.

Let the critiques continue....

Alex Arman

Strava
Last edited by: doublea334: Sep 17, 18 11:17
Quote Reply

Prev Next