Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not as far as he and I see, the 3k TT was simply part of the 5k build, not in and of itself a goal.

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Fleck wrote:

Who is MTM??

Martin Toft Madsen. He is MTM here on ST. I think he posted in the thread. He has (or had) the Danish record and did at lease one attempt at the world record.

3rd fastest Hour (behind Campenaerts and Wiggins) set in Denmark last year at a hair under 54km. He mentioned another attempt this fall to have something to do...
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tilburs wrote:
Not as far as he and I see, the 3k TT was simply part of the 5k build, not in and of itself a goal.

Sorry, I meant if he tried to PB in a 5km on the track this week, would that impact his one hour record cycling attempt. I have no idea, just wondering.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Thanks for your detailed response. I would think that moving out of Covid19, track racing will fall into the same category as swim meets. Lots of people indoors with a few athletes racing. I think we will get there so you guys will be back on the track. We have had world wars get in the way of sport and then its all restarted later. Human spirit won't let all this die off. Our memories of misery are short on all fronts. Just give it time.

As for US record, your attempts, I assume wider pad width gives you more control in terms of traveling too far on each lap but an aero penalty. In terms of TTing and puttind down power and aero position, I think your weight is around the same as Chris Boardman's was and you're 15 cm taller? So someone like Chris would have a major aero advantage (shorter legs, shorter torso)? By the way, what crank length were you going to use. Shorter cranks to get more aero, or lengths like the former winners (I suppose 175 on you is like 165 on Boardman anyway). And what gearing and RPM would you have been targeting.

One more question, on the helmet front. Back in the day Boardman, Rominger and others just used fairings. I assume the helmets required for use today are normal aero helmets with more frontal than old school fairnings and more aero drag. What is the thinnest frontal helmet that current guys can get away with?

172.5. I've done a lot of testing and I think that's the right length for me. 172.5 was clearly better than 175. But 170 seemed pretty clearly worse. I'd target right around 100rpm, which is now fairly comfortable for me. So 100rpm targeting 53.1km. I'd have to do the math on that, but I think that's likely 108" or so? Maybe 106" (So 60x15 or 59x15). But yeah, being 6'3" is not "ideal" for track racing... Wink

On helmets, the POC Tempor seems the pretty clear champ on the track. It's got a ton of fairing. It doesn't have tiny FA, but it does do an amazing job of filling in the gaps.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Lionel is going with the Garneau helmet he's been using for triathlon according to some subtle social media posts on the Garneau IG feed showing an all black paint scheme.
Last edited by: WHITEJM74: Oct 20, 20 12:40
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Thanks for your detailed response. I would think that moving out of Covid19, track racing will fall into the same category as swim meets. Lots of people indoors with a few athletes racing. I think we will get there so you guys will be back on the track. We have had world wars get in the way of sport and then its all restarted later. Human spirit won't let all this die off. Our memories of misery are short on all fronts. Just give it time.

As for US record, your attempts, I assume wider pad width gives you more control in terms of traveling too far on each lap but an aero penalty. In terms of TTing and puttind down power and aero position, I think your weight is around the same as Chris Boardman's was and you're 15 cm taller? So someone like Chris would have a major aero advantage (shorter legs, shorter torso)? By the way, what crank length were you going to use. Shorter cranks to get more aero, or lengths like the former winners (I suppose 175 on you is like 165 on Boardman anyway). And what gearing and RPM would you have been targeting.

One more question, on the helmet front. Back in the day Boardman, Rominger and others just used fairings. I assume the helmets required for use today are normal aero helmets with more frontal than old school fairnings and more aero drag. What is the thinnest frontal helmet that current guys can get away with?

172.5. I've done a lot of testing and I think that's the right length for me. 172.5 was clearly better than 175. But 170 seemed pretty clearly worse. I'd target right around 100rpm, which is now fairly comfortable for me. So 100rpm targeting 53.1km. I'd have to do the math on that, but I think that's likely 108" or so? Maybe 106" (So 60x15 or 59x15). But yeah, being 6'3" is not "ideal" for track racing... Wink

On helmets, the POC Tempor seems the pretty clear champ on the track. It's got a ton of fairing. It doesn't have tiny FA, but it does do an amazing job of filling in the gaps.

Yeah, being tall and thin doing all those G forces at each turn its literally harder to get all the blood pooling in your legs way back up to your heart (kind of like the tall fighter pilot's disadvantage in high G force turns) haha! Boardman would have an advantage on you. Same weight, less height, less frontal, easier to pump blood back to heart on 800+ high G turns in an hour (once per 9 seconds)!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Link for Friday - https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be

We will be going Live with the Stream at 12:30pm EDT

Lionel will start about 5 mins later, and then 60 minutes after that, be done! :-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Link for Friday - https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be

We will be going Live with the Stream at 12:30pm EDT

Lionel will start about 5 mins later, and then 60 minutes after that, be done! :-)

Cool!
I really hope his 5k on 2 days before does not hinder his.chances!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That attempt was on Saturday
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:
Ah stupid me! The premiere thing somehow made my brain think it was live, but that is perfect, nice confidence boost
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:

Wait, did we miss the biggests event in multisport all year and is Lionel tacking on a sub 9 min 3000m warmup job before and sub 15:30 5km jog after? OK all kidding aside, I assume the entire stream will be replayable?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Etiquette on doing a 5km PB paced by a bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vanchize wrote:

I don't know but Lionel runs so fast he needs the banking of the velodrome for his 20 laps 5km after his 200 laps 50km on the bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vanchize wrote:

I was wondering the same thing, he did his baseline fully solo and clocked sub 16 min. It would have been great if he would have done it with the bike behind as it would have been more comparable performances. At 21 kph, into a headwind at the track, some pacing in the form of bike or person does help.

Still, 14:34 is a solid performance, nowhere near the top triathlete runners but he has definitely improved. His technique has improved a bit too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You know we have had 5000m and 10000m World Record races on the track this year, using Pacing Lights!

This is a personal time trial training effort!! Does the pace bike matter?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

You know we have had 5000m and 10000m World Record races on the track this year, using Pacing Lights!

Of course it does matter! I only run high 16 and change 5 k. So like 18 kph, even at that speed, if I can tuck behind a rider or runner, specially into a headwind, you save a few seconds here and there.

Pacing lights is different as it does not give any drafting advantage.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Fleck wrote:

Of course it does matter! I only run high 16 and change 5 k. So like 18 kph, even at that speed, if I can tuck behind a rider or runner, specially into a headwind, you save a few seconds here and there.

Pacing lights is different as it does not give any drafting advantage.

I would say that the bike may make it slightly faster, but the pacing lights took all of the thought into pacing out of it.

Massive improvement. I fully suspect the swim isn't as bad or neglected as people speculate, and this is much more thought through than social media is leading some of ST to believe. Daytona should be massive...

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Those records also involved pacers (rabbits).

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes they even had pacers like Mo Farrah at the London marathon this year. The drafting advantage of the bike definitely is an advantage, as well as not having to check the watch. I wonder if he did his previous PB in 2013 behind a bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course it does matter!

OK - so, for you, there will be a UCI Commissaire at the Track on Friday measuring Sock Height (they actually have a device for that!!), just so we are all legal! :-)

Last edited by: Fleck: Oct 21, 20 16:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some people just cannot appreciate something for what it is. He went out for a PERSONAL best which means nothing to anyone but himself. Who cares if he used a pacer or not. Now for the Hour attempt if he wants to it be official then he needs to play by the rules, which I am assuming he is doing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:

Thanks Talbot.

So was it Erin that Lionel was referring to as setting a new 5k PB? I know his mom has been going to the track from time to time to train with him.
Cannot wait until Friday, GO LIONEL!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:

Of course it does matter!

This was just a fun run, not an official record or something...
Quote Reply

Prev Next