Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lionel for the win in Placid?
Quote | Reply
Was checking the Pro Start list for IM Lake Placid and saw Lionel is on the start list.
Hoping this comes to fruition.... Should be a great day in LP for the pro men and women.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel for the win in Placid? [LonesomeRiders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After the "battle" with Jan He said "no way" to starting Placid. Either he changed his mind, or (more likely) he signed up beforehand to keep his options open and just hasn't pulled out yet.

Edit: He said on Monday he's going to do IM Copenhagen (start at 0:40).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Jul 21, 21 16:12
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel for the win in Placid? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He said he was going home then travelling back to Copenhagen.

That race is on August 22nd so I understand not staying in Europe that whole time...but I seriously hope he comes out earlier than he did before the battle royal. It's one thing to do it once, but he'll be going back west and it will take time to acclimate again and then heading east again (which I found to be worse than west). If he's taking Copenhagen serious I hope he goes over at least a week early, even if not to Denmark but just to somewhere in the European continent to give his body more time to recover from the travel.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel for the win in Placid? [Vetratten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t get doing Copenhagen

Check the start list out for it.

He should jus focus on the 70.3 worlds and try and win a championship race.

No one is beating jan in kona and therefore trying to qualify at Copenhagen is pointless.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel for the win in Placid? [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:

No one is beating jan in kona and therefore trying to qualify at Copenhagen is pointless.

70.3 Worlds is his back-up school, errr race.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel for the win in Placid? [Vetratten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vetratten wrote:

That race is on August 22nd so I understand not staying in Europe that whole time...but I seriously hope he comes out earlier than he did before the battle royal. It's one thing to do it once, but he'll be going back west and it will take time to acclimate again and then heading east again (which I found to be worse than west). If he's taking Copenhagen serious I hope he goes over at least a week early, even if not to Denmark but just to somewhere in the European continent to give his body more time to recover from the travel.

I wonder if he could just come back to North America, swim 52+bike 4:25 in LP and then walk/ jog a 3:20 and be fast enough to KQ.

Doing the trip back to Europe 2x in one month with 2 IMs is going to hammer the body. Minimally in that short time span he has 2 nights of no sleep due to having to take two redeye flights. Assume over 35 days he loses 2 days of sleep, this almost 6% of aggregate sleep during that short period and that will hurt top performance 2x in that same 35 day window. He should have made a deal with Jan that if he came over, Jan puts him up for the pre Copenhagen training.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel for the win in Placid? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Vetratten wrote:

I wonder if he could just come back to North America, swim 52+bike 4:25 in LP and then walk/ jog a 3:20 and be fast enough to KQ.

Doing the trip back to Europe 2x in one month with 2 IMs is going to hammer the body. Minimally in that short time span he has 2 nights of no sleep due to having to take two redeye flights. Assume over 35 days he loses 2 days of sleep, this almost 6% of aggregate sleep during that short period and that will hurt top performance 2x in that same 35 day window. He should have made a deal with Jan that if he came over, Jan puts him up for the pre Copenhagen training.

He says he needs to relieve Erin's parents of their dog-sitting duties ;)

Honestly, I travel all the time (or used to) across the Atlantic from the West coast and it isn't that big of a deal IF he goes early. I hope he doesn't think Sunday was confirmation that he only needs 2-3 days to get ready to race. The field will be hungry to beat him in CPN.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel for the win in Placid? [mkq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also really like the idea of the Jan homestay. That probably doesn’t work well with kids in genera and covid restrictions though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:

-LS' sponsors want him at the big dance, win or not.

-Look at Ryf in '19, or Frodo in '17, '18. Nothing is guaranteed.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:

You should be Lionel's sport psych. I bet you would only add to his motivation. There's a reason they hold the race. And anyone who has followed this sport knows how many times a favorite has faltered, even heavy favorites. Some due to the race day circumstances, others due to their own preparation, and Jan has experienced this himself.

So just slow down on the crowning there. There's a race to be won, make them prove it.

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel for the win in Placid? [JimVance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JimVance wrote:
PJC wrote:

You should be Lionel's sport psych. I bet you would only add to his motivation. There's a reason they hold the race. And anyone who has followed this sport knows how many times a favorite has faltered, even heavy favorites. Some due to the race day circumstances, others due to their own preparation, and Jan has experienced this himself.

So just slow down on the crowning there. There's
a race to be won, make them prove it.

+1

And…There are also others in race who have already qualified and are gearing up for Kona without 3 IMs under their belt this year.
Last edited by: mkq: Jul 21, 21 23:26
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel for the win in Placid? [mkq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mkq wrote:
JimVance wrote:
PJC wrote:

+1

And…There are also others in race who have already qualified and are gearing up for Kona without 3 IMs under their belt this year.

Yes, I wasn't meaning LS only. More to the point that crowning Jan as World Champ another time is presumptive. Hell, he's only won once in the previous 4 years. It's like crowning the winner based on the prelims. I remember when everyone thought Kanute was just a swim leader for the 70.3 WC in Chattanooga. Everyone thought Lionel would roll at IMCdA his year. There's a reason they run the race.

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mean like when they give someone an honorable doctorate when the person hasn't studied at that university yet?

I think Lionel was planning to do placid a week later until the beer party after the Battle...13 kilo steins!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Macca is so sure that,given his huge race schedule, Lionel can't win Kona this year that he will match the prize money if he does.
Gotta love Macca!
https://www.tri247.com/...2021-chris-mccormack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JimVance wrote:
mkq wrote:
JimVance wrote:
PJC wrote:

+1

Yes, I wasn't meaning LS only. More to the point that crowning Jan as World Champ another time is presumptive. Hell, he's only won once in the previous 4 years. It's like crowning the winner based on the prelims. I remember when everyone thought Kanute was just a swim leader for the 70.3 WC in Chattanooga. Everyone thought Lionel would roll at IMCdA his year. There's a reason they run the race.

Hi Jim what's your thoughts on this year's races?

I have a feeling there might be some surprises on both the men's and women's sides. Definitely don't have Jan as odds on, and last years women's race didn't exactly go to form.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JimVance wrote:
PJC wrote:

So just slow down on the crowning there. There's a race to be won, make them prove it.

What Jan proved to himself at the showdown is that he can keep the pace really really high on the bike and spit out everyone, especially Lange.

But it looks like Jan also showed that when he bikes that high a bike pace, he will run 2:45. Was the 2:45 from the hard bike, or from the fall, I don''t really know but Lange can look at this and say, "OK, I can let Jan go and he can hammer the bike, then Jan runs 2:45. If Jan bikes easy he runs 2:42, but I am closer off the bike".

I think the big WINNER here was Lange. Because in a pure TT Jan showed his phyiological limit and the balance between bike and run.

Lionel, we already roughly knew what he can do in a TT (ex IM Arizona).

Lionels advantage is he will have Cam Wurf and Sebi to work with. If Jan wants to ride that fast, he will have no one to work with unless Alistair partakes (he likely will). Or he rides with slower riders and allows Cam and other back into the bike race, but that allows Lange into the bike race. The race in Kona is not over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uh, you take that fall out of the picture and we're looking at a 2:38 marathon. Maybe even faster.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who's Lionel?

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel for the win in Placid? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right! The fall and the rain...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

He should attempt this as good chance Copenhagen is canceled given the trajectory of the Covid numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he is not racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wherever he race's it'll be extremely conservative to try and get that slot. Much like he did in Tremblant 2019.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel for the win in Placid? [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
Who's Lionel?

Your dada
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel for the win in Placid? [WHITEJM74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That must be why I look like a handicapped person when I run!

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel for the win in Placid? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Uh, you take that fall out of the picture and we're looking at a 2:38 marathon. Maybe even faster.

Serious question. How bad was this fall? There is a world of difference between 2:45 and 2:38. I don't recall when the fall was, but even if he fell immediately out of T2 this would be 10 seconds per km slower, if it was halfway it is 20 seconds per km slower, if it was at 3/4 it would be 40 seconds per km slower between a 2:45 split and 2:38 split.

In any case the results are the results. If Jan plucked own a 2:38 marathon off a sub 4 bike Lange would be shitting his pants that he has to "stay in contact" on the bike in Kona. With the 2:45, Lange has more options for letting go on the bike and making it back on the run. Jan has never run sub 2:42 in Kona and Lange has done 2:40 twice, so he already has a 2 min buffer to play with even if Jan has a perfect Kona race. But Lange may have a 4-5 min buffer to play with. Hopefully Jan did not damage himself for Kona. I want to see him perform there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next