Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lionel Sander....skinny!
Quote | Reply
The last few posts on IG his face/body has been looking very skinny. Is it just me or the notorious #drafting camera angle? Lol
He looks like... dare I say... a runner
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander....skinny! [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely agree. Never seen him this lean... He's apparently been training like mad. If you watch his latest YouTube video it's definitely legit lean.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander....skinny! [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks really lean. Still has a hitch in his run. Looks painful.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander....skinny! [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He indicated recently that he is really trying to work on his form in all 3 disciplines to become as efficient as possible, and not have to 'work' so hard or at least waste energy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enlighthen me. Is it good to be that skinny so far out from Kona? Just thinking if it is increasing his risk of illness/injury?
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander....skinny! [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no clue if it is/isn't for him. He's racing IMMT in a couple weeks so perhaps he is testing it out and will go from there.

I personally wish he wasn't doing a full so close to Kona, but that's another issue altogether! Lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Enlighthen me. Is it good to be that skinny so far out from Kona? Just thinking if it is increasing his risk of illness/injury?

Yep, not saying it will happen to him, but he could be toeing the line. However, he is going for a world title, so high risk, high reward.

Keeping those extra 2-3 pounds is more beneficial for AG'ers who want to go into a race healthy and not sick, versus a top pro who is risking getting sick/injured for the potential to win a "big" paycheck and get the chance to be world champion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember Frodo got super skinny prior to Kona last year. Maybe part of Lionelā€™s plan to do everything just like Jan?

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander....skinny! [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on that hitch in his run........

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if it's an N = 1 - is it good for HIM?
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander....skinny! [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frodo is ALWAYS very lean!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His approach to get lean should be to lose the upper body muscle mass that adds drag in the swim and on the bike and adds weight on the run. To do this, skip upper body gym work and let all the other training burn it off naturally and gradually for fuel.

A lot of guys have this problem - overly-built upper bodies that work against them in triathlon. It takes a few years to even out by changing habits. Sure you need to be strong, but not that strong up top.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander....skinny! [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did he even do upper body weights? I haven't for twenty years and I am naturally solid and carry upper body muscle I would love to lose. It seems diet is a big part with people going vegetarian makes a big difference. I saw a picture of him on my facebook feed tucking into two bowls of salad and he looks gaunt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me too, wish he wasn't racing a full IM so close but having said that he hasn't raced that much this year. In the past, he would have done 4 IMs!
Think Tremblant is a somewhat home race for him, not much travel? Other races would require him to fly to Europe unless he did Boulder
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander....skinny! [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried reverse curls? šŸ˜

Shambolic wrote:
Did he even do upper body weights? I haven't for twenty years and I am naturally solid and carry upper body muscle I would love to lose. It seems diet is a big part with people going vegetarian makes a big difference. I saw a picture of him on my facebook feed tucking into two bowls of salad and he looks gaunt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:

I'm pretty sure he did a bunch of weightlifting before triathlon, but I'm not 100% positive. I did a bunch when I was younger to be a better sprint freestyler and was also ROTC (push up hell) and still carry around a lot of extra pectoral mass at age 45 that is stupid-looking when running .

Kids, don't do drugs. And don't do tons of upper body work to impress the ladies if you want to go pro in tri. It's all about the bike-run, not the swim. ;)

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
The last few posts on IG his face/body has been looking very skinny. Is it just me or the notorious #drafting camera angle? Lol
He looks like... dare I say... a runner

I saw his post on FB and thought the same thing to myself. Then I also thought about posting it on slowtwtitch but figured someone would have already beaten me to the punch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
It's all about the run......

FTFY

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been noticing that the food he eats (that he posts) is vegan?!

I know he is on a mission to shadow Jan in all aspects, I wonder if that now includes diet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Shambolic wrote:

I'm pretty sure he did a bunch of weightlifting before triathlon, but I'm not 100% positive. I did a bunch when I was younger to be a better sprint freestyler and was also ROTC (push up hell) and still carry around a lot of extra pectoral mass at age 45 that is stupid-looking when running .

Kids, don't do drugs. And don't do tons of upper body work to impress the ladies if you want to go pro in tri. It's all about the bike-run, not the swim. ;)

It is correct to say that he did. His dad was a power lifter and he would do power lifting along with him.

I was like you, Brett. I played hockey at 175-180 and had a lot more mass in the upper body and inner thigh/glutes. Since I have started to take triathlon seriously I have cut a massive amount of fat and muscle from my frame and my body has really started to recompose itself.

I sit at 152lbs and 7% body fat today. I feel super weak in comparison...but I am racing much faster than when I started this journey. I am probably another year or two away from getting my body to where it needs to be overall to get as fast as I can.

But your point still stands. You need to be functionally strong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Shambolic wrote:

What lady will be impressed with a pro triathlete that exercises for continuous hours daily, doesn't give them attention, and their "job" doesn't pay enough to move out of their parents basement?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be honest, due to daily usage some of your muscle is retained even though you probably don't have the strength you used to have. This is purely anecdotal from my experience, but it seems to be the case with fat also, we gain fat in weird places and when you're lifting you can't necessarily target a muscle group to grow...it just sort of grows.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
got my money on Lionel for Kona 2018
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander....skinny! [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Shambolic wrote:

It is correct to say that he did. His dad was a power lifter and he would do power lifting along with him.

I was like you, Brett. I played hockey at 175-180 and had a lot more mass in the upper body and inner thigh/glutes. Since I have started to take triathlon seriously I have cut a massive amount of fat and muscle from my frame and my body has really started to recompose itself.

I sit at 152lbs and 7% body fat today. I feel super weak in comparison...but I am racing much faster than when I started this journey. I am probably another year or two away from getting my body to where it needs to be overall to get as fast as I can.

But your point still stands. You need to be functionally strong.

Yes I agree with you here as I am similar. Faster on swim no thanks to upper body mass loss, but rather training and technique. Going to pure swim races - getting my bit kicked by broad upper body folks and some fat slobs still
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander....skinny! [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it makes you feel better, I got destroyed by a 13 year old girl yesterday. . .

Motivation

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply

Prev Next