Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lionel's encore?!
Quote | Reply
Why is he doing this?!
Just to get another experience in hot weather, or to get another chance against Frodo?

https://www.youtube.com/...hannel=LionelSanders
Last edited by: 42under240: Oct 13, 21 8:34
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [42under240] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42under240 wrote:
Why is he doing this?!
Just to get another experience in hot weather, or to get another chance against Frodo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3shYDSorMU&ab_channel=LionelSanders

I like it!! Will this be Iden's coming out party, or will Frodo continue to assert himself as the Best in the sport right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess is to practice pacing once more and too race two of the top guys in a non Kona race to see what he needs to work on for the actual Kona race.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
42under240 wrote:
Why is he doing this?!

Don't forget he's a professional athlete. You gotta race to make money. This is same as asking 'Why do you go to work?' to people like me.

I love it. Another race I can tune in and enjoy. In his last video, he said he felt pretty good after the workout, so I knew this was coming.
Watched the encore video and he does bring good entertainment to this somewhat can be boring sports.
He's such a bad ass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is Lionel being Lionel! Do the opposite of what you said a week ago! He is entertaining 😂

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He needs to practice championship race pacing. He cannot just go his own pace all day in Kona like he did at Chattanooga. He's got to try to get to the front of the race as fast as possible on the bike (like 2017) or he never will. Needs to try and ride with Wurf. He's already got his Kona slot so can just give it a go and if he blows up, nbd it was a learning experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
42under240 wrote:
Why is he doing this?!

https://www.youtube.com/...hannel=LionelSanders

Hot weather??? Was that supposed to be pink? This is for IM California next weekend, in Sacramento, right? The water temp is 63 currently, and the forecast is currently for high of 63 and low of 49 degrees. And its notoriously windy. Most of us are planning for how to stay warm on the first part of the bike.

That said, the men's pro field should put on a great show. Its a river swim which should help with LS's weakest element, but from what I hear the river is nearly stagnant currently so won't drop times very much.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
He needs to practice championship race pacing. He cannot just go his own pace all day in Kona like he did at Chattanooga. He's got to try to get to the front of the race as fast as possible on the bike (like 2017) or he never will. Needs to try and ride with Wurf. He's already got his Kona slot so can just give it a go and if he blows up, nbd it was a learning experience.

Good points. I think you are right
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And he wonders why people on ST are critical. He says one thing one week and does the opposite the next week. Sure it's entertaining but also confusing. I hope he lightens up regarding his angst towards ST. He gives people a lot of reasons to question his decisions.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [Plantlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if his coach looked at his training and recovery and thought it was a great idea to test himself? And California was on the schedule from the beginning - he changed that based upon being pretty toasted immediately after Chattanooga. I think based upon some of the training changes it's getting interesting to see how his body is adapting to what seems to be the intensities that he needed to be training at for IM.

I think it's great for the sport - great experience for LS, and I can't wait to see how he goes about this race based upon the last three. He's opening himself up for criticism, for sure - but the same things will come out of the same people's posts (mine included - I recognize this) because we have all established where we sit on the LS scale. I applaud putting Cali back on the schedule and I hope that he tries to rip this one and it will be a great indicator of where he is v Jan with respect to 3 months ago.

Bring on Cali!!!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He also just posted on IG that he just went to see Jim@ERO with Ivan so he should be pretty dialed for this race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean...I see the guy committing to evolving as an athlete - but that's me and I am a fan.

I think he learned from the Tri Battle and how Frodeno worked and we are going to see how he does with committing to a coach and turning his brain off and doing the work. It was velodrome today then wind tunnel after Cali and more velodrome time. Apparently. ;)

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HIs favorite rapper clearly has to be Eminem.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [Plantlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plantlete wrote:
And he wonders why people on ST are critical. He says one thing one week and does the opposite the next week. Sure it's entertaining but also confusing. I hope he lightens up regarding his angst towards ST. He gives people a lot of reasons to question his decisions.

pump the brakes, sport. first, "people" aren't critical of him on this forum. "you" are. second, he has no angst toward slowtwitch. third, notwithstanding the legion of mistakes (according to you) he has made, is making, and will continue to make, he has somehow managed to generate one of the best race resumes in the sport over the past decade. the only person here who needs to lighten up is you.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
He also just posted on IG that he just went to see Jim@ERO with Ivan so he should be pretty dialed for this race.

this is not his first visit to see him manton. he was there maybe, i don't know, 3 years ago? (my memory for chronology isn't very good.) jim saw him twice over 2 days, first at the carson velodrome, and second on a closed field trial course. he was there with the canyon folks, and the primary mission was to see which size speedmax he should ride (S or M).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Plantlete wrote:

pump the brakes, sport. first, "people" aren't critical of him on this forum. "you" are. second, he has no angst toward slowtwitch. third, notwithstanding the legion of mistakes (according to you) he has made, is making, and will continue to make, he has somehow managed to generate one of the best race resumes in the sport over the past decade. the only person here who needs to lighten up is you.

I mean, that's a better way to put it.

Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
It is Lionel being Lionel! Do the opposite of what you said a week ago! He is entertaining 😂

Very much so - for a while!

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quinny98
Oct 5, 21 10:12
Post #33 of 71 (1883 views)
ADabs wrote:
beachedbeluga wrote:
Sanders has said that his season was done after chatt. Is there another update?

On "the other server which shall not be named", Sanders stated he is still mulling it over. He will be there as him mom is racing, debating whether he will race or be on the sidelines.
Interesting given his youtube video last week stating he was done for the year.
Lionel will be there on the start line come race day. He is too much of a competitor to let this opportunity pass by. Not to mention the coverage this race will be getting from all avenues.
You have to remember he's more than just a triathlete. He has a business and creating these scenarios drives up his views etc. There will be a video released within 2 weeks stating that he will be racing and it will get well over 100K views driving up even more business.
I predict it won't be his next video but the one after that.
Time will tell.
Regardless, it'll be an awesome race and I can't wait to stream it.

Cheers,

Quinner

I wish I could predict football like this!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100% there will be pizza and coke for breakfast in Lionel’s next video 😂
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did anyone see Jan's Q+A session 2 days ago in his insta-stories? Was photo was of him eating a slice of euro pizza at a finishline ..... Surely that can't be coincidence right!?

I hope he will bring some if the super Sonic speed from 3 months ago!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To save up enough for the RV of course!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is Lionel being Lionel. He is a great athlete who tries to see how close to self-destruction he can get to. Unfortunately, going against Jan again is a bad venue to test out his Lifelong Working Theory.

Jimmy S.
Last edited by: fireluv: Oct 13, 21 18:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am surprised that anyone believed he was done for the year. No bloody way that his personality was going to allow him to sit on the sidelines and only train for the next seven months,and lets be honest ,WTF was Talbot going to do without his number one YouTube star until next year?
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [fireluv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get it. I do. His track record shows he changes things.

BUT, what if his coach is on board, or better yet, suggested it. What if Lionel is actually closer to Frodeno than last time?

What if 3 sub 8 IMs with increasingly good runs is actually showing a change? What if the fact his training is changed A LOT, in a good way, shows benefit.

He's got maybe 2 more IMs against Jan before he hangs it up - I wouldn't be surprised if it's CA to go REALLY fast, a IMWC in StG and Roth to end it. Lionel wants to race him.

I mean... are you saying Lionel shouldn't race Jan?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
I get it. I do. His track record shows he changes things.

BUT, what if his coach is on board, or better yet, suggested it. What if Lionel is actually closer to Frodeno than last time?

What if 3 sub 8 IMs with increasingly good runs is actually showing a change? What if the fact his training is changed A LOT, in a good way, shows benefit.

He's got maybe 2 more IMs against Jan before he hangs it up - I wouldn't be surprised if it's CA to go REALLY fast, a IMWC in StG and Roth to end it. Lionel wants to race him.

I mean... are you saying Lionel shouldn't race Jan?

With a downriver wetsuit swim this is Lionel's best chance to have the tiniest gap he will ever have to Jan at T1. So there is that aspect
Quote Reply

Prev Next