Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lionel's Recap- 2021 St George 70.3
Quote | Reply

LS’s commentary.

Just love this being put out there. EPIC battle.
Last edited by: dtoce: May 5, 21 2:15
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's Recap- 2021 St George 70.3 [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Incredible insight. Continues to evolve into an exceptional athlete. And promoter of the sport.

We are lucky to have him and his team.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a great recap and video. Lionel understands what fans wants to hear and has a great partnership to propel his name and brand. Well done! Great recap!
Go Canada!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great to see this insight and hopefully more pros will do it, which would lead to more fans and more sponsorship

Tridad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't think I've seen that downhill pass by Sam Long when he blows by Lionel and Rudy in any other video before.
Holy smokes - was he trying to do something there or just getting a little to excited?
That pass is the running equivalent of the Kienle-move on the bike in Vegas (except for the fact that it didn't stick)

happening at 11:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZiYTGMBCHE&t=705

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Last edited by: flogazo: May 5, 21 1:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great video.

i know in the sam long thread some people have complained a bit about long's brashness, ego, maturity, whatever. (i second some of those complaints, actually - all respect to his performance but long in his videos comes across a bit poorly to me.)

anyway, lionel's video here makes a pretty stark contrast to that. he comes across as wise, mature, and generous. all to the good.

i've seen one video (can't remember where, now) that was speculating that lionel was sandbagging - that he held something back in reserve and in particular that he under-biked. i'm not sure. definitely his swim has improved! i'm not sure his run was heaps faster than previous visits to St George, but his bike was a bit slower. i keep thinking that this guy recently rode an hour on the velodrome faster than jens voight (!) - surely he's got lots of power left? but maybe he's backed right off to put more energy into the swim.

regardless, i keep thinking we're lucky to be living through a particularly exciting time in the sport - especially in middle distance, especially on the men's draw. and it happens to coincide with exploding quality and quantity of coverage. good times!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's Recap- 2021 St George 70.3 [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think Lionel was sandbagging. I think he is now racing smart. Actually racing, not just going as fast as he can for as long as he can and hoping it's enough.
His swim has definitely improved, and it helps to the bridge that gap on the bike.
He doesn't need to go out and power his way through to 1st place on the bike and then hold on for the run. He gets to where he needs to be to attack on the run.
Then executes a solid run for the win. Watching his last few races this is how I feel anyways.
I think in the past he felt he needed to be in 1st place off the bike to have a chance and not having the confidence on his run.
His run game has improved a lot over the past 14 months and now he knows he can run people down.
Those are my thoughts anyways. Only Lionel knows, but I think we all know he could absolutely bike harder and faster, but that's not smart racing.

Cheers!

Quinner
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's Recap- 2021 St George 70.3 [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quinny98 wrote:
I don't think Lionel was sandbagging. I think he is now racing smart. Actually racing, not just going as fast as he can for as long as he can and hoping it's enough.
His swim has definitely improved, and it helps to the bridge that gap on the bike.
He doesn't need to go out and power his way through to 1st place on the bike and then hold on for the run. He gets to where he needs to be to attack on the run.
Then executes a solid run for the win. Watching his last few races this is how I feel anyways.
I think in the past he felt he needed to be in 1st place off the bike to have a chance and not having the confidence on his run.
His run game has improved a lot over the past 14 months and now he knows he can run people down.
Those are my thoughts anyways. Only Lionel knows, but I think we all know he could absolutely bike harder and faster, but that's not smart racing.

Cheers!

Quinner

oh yeah, i think i agree with you. and i think an overall smarter approach has been the biggest change in his racing this year. (why'd you wait so long, lionel!)

but i did find the argument (found the link, here) interesting . . .

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's Recap- 2021 St George 70.3 [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent video from both Lionel and Sam. I bet they were both wondering what the other was thinking during those last 5 kms, I know Sam mentions that in his video. Now with these videos, they both now how deep in the well each of them went.
This race was EPIC!
I think Lionel continues to chip away at his swim, but he does mention time to start focusing on getting the bike fitness back up.

I think Sam and Lionel working together on the queen K, WOW that could be potent!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to 24:05 into the video. Baekkegard (DQ’d athlete) comes up to congratulate Lionel. Ditlev (3rd place) turns to shake hands with Baekkegard and he seems to refuse to shake his hand, says something and walks away. Is he mad at Ditlev, blame him for his penalty? I think Talbot is baiting/trolling us here, why put this clip in unless there’s more to the story?

Anyone else catch this? Am I reading it wrong?

Talbot, what’s the story here?
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's Recap- 2021 St George 70.3 [JDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not even notice that until you pointed it out. I do not it was not magnus on why he got the penalty it was another athlete. I wont name. at the end of the day the 10 meter draft rule needs to be changed.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's Recap- 2021 St George 70.3 [JDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JDJ wrote:
Go to 24:05 into the video. Baekkegard (DQ’d athlete) comes up to congratulate Lionel. Ditlev (3rd place) turns to shake hands with Baekkegard and he seems to refuse to shake his hand, says something and walks away. Is he mad at Ditlev, blame him for his penalty? I think Talbot is baiting/trolling us here, why put this clip in unless there’s more to the story?

Good catch. Yes, I'd like to know whats up too.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's Recap- 2021 St George 70.3 [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
JDJ wrote:

Good catch. Yes, I'd like to know whats up too.

I don't think its related to Ditlev at all. It looks like Lionel asks what happened with the DQ and Baekkegard's reacting to that with a "F if I know" and walks away.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's Recap- 2021 St George 70.3 [ADabs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also thought it was interesting hearing about the conversation LS had with Baekkegard on the run after he heard a spectator say Baekkegard was DQ'd. There was speculation elsewhere that Baekkegard may not have known he had gotten a penalty, but it sounds like he definitely knew (even if he disagreed with it, thought it was unfair, etc) but he kept racing anyway.

It still blows my mind that a sport exists where you can be assessed a penalty according to the rules of the sport, and just opt out.
Quote Reply