Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lightweight running shoe of choice
Quote | Reply
Just curious...what is your lighter weight shoe of choice, and why?
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight running shoe of choice [runnerak47] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Next%, it's magic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skechers Razor 3. Very good cushion/bounce for how amazingly light it is. Price is very reasonable ($100 on amazon), uppers is very well ventilated. Design is ugly.
Every once in a while 4% (but they are expensive, so trying to preserve them)

Some people don't care about weight of training shoe; I think it makes a huge difference. When I am tired in long training blocks, when I do a long run, when I do speed workout - can't think of a scenario where shoe weight is not significant. Helps me keep higher cadence, train more and have more quality workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm current running in Altra Kayenta (5.9 oz) and ON Cloudflow (8.3 oz; feels lighter). Both have enough cushioning for me and great road feel. Neither are good for unpaved trails. I've been in Altra shoes for many years and love them. But I always rotate in another brand just for a different feel. The Cloudflow feels lighter than it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight running shoe of choice [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
Skechers Razor 3. Very good cushion/bounce for how amazingly light it is. Price is very reasonable ($100 on amazon), uppers is very well ventilated. Design is ugly.

Some people don't care about weight of training shoe; I think it makes a huge difference. When I am tired in long training blocks, when I do a long run, when I do speed workout - can't think of a scenario where shoe weight is not significant. Helps me keep higher cadence, train more and have more quality workouts.

Second vote for Razor 3, love that shoe minus the hideous design choices.
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight running shoe of choice [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoka Rincon. Very light yet they have good cushions. I use them for training. Only downside is light shoes don't last long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asics Hyper Tri. It's the only shoe I can run more than a 5K with no socks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reebok Floatride run fast. Underrated shoe IMO. The original was 6.6oz, I think version 2 is a little heavier now. Pebax midsole, plenty of cushion and good energy return. Reebok usually has a good discount periodically and can grab a pair on sale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Third vote for Razor 3. Much more affordable and available than VF Next. I feel that it rides better also. Skechers Hyperburst foam is really the bomb. Only thing holding them back is the shoe design, IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got to say I'm jealous that you don't get many Skechers models in the UK. I really like the Reebok Run Fast. The Peba foam in it isn't bouncy magic but it feels smoother and a bit more cushioned than you'd guess by looking at it. The grip is excellent so for a 5k race day shoe I can't fault it. It's an average price shoe but Reebok always seem to do deals so no need to pay full for it and then it's a bargain.
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight running shoe of choice [Terrordact] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terrordact wrote:
dgutstadt wrote:

Second vote for Razor 3, love that shoe minus the hideous design choices.

Agree on Razor 3, so light, but still plenty of cushion and stable through the stride.
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight running shoe of choice [Gilliga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another Skechers Razor advocate here. They are light and cushioned. Promotes fast turnover and foot speed especially when tiring.
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight running shoe of choice [YorktownTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YorktownTri wrote:
I'm current running in Altra Kayenta (5.9 oz) and ON Cloudflow (8.3 oz; feels lighter). Both have enough cushioning for me and great road feel. Neither are good for unpaved trails. I've been in Altra shoes for many years and love them. But I always rotate in another brand just for a different feel. The Cloudflow feels lighter than it is.

Sketchers Razor 3 for me too, and I also still have one pair of my favourite ever shoe, the Altra TheOne 2.5. Was discontinued, and me now being in Australia, I haven't been able to try the Kayentas yet (as they are not distributed here for some reason).

Did you have the One 2.5 before the Kayentas? How would you compare the two?
Thanks in advance, cheers,
Laurent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skechers Gorun Hyper 3 - 6.4 oz for racing.
Hokka Rincon - 7.7 oz for training, esp in the Ironman colorway

The Skechers have a similar feel to the awesome Nike Lunaracer 3. Damn, that was my favorite race shoe; pissed that Nike stopped making it.
The Rincon is the first Hokka I've tried that isn't too "dull". Most Hokkas, you can't feel the texture of the ground like curbs because there is just too much sole.With the Rincon, you can.
The Rincon is remarkable in that it feels light and very responsive. But it doesn't feel fragile. The only downside of the Rincon IMO is the tread isn't great for wet trails. Otherwise, incredible shoe.
Have had zero Achilles issues since wearing them for over 300 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For speedwork Im in the Adidas Boston.
For racing Im using the Adidas Adizero 4 at the moment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saucony Kinvara, fits my feet best and performes quiet good. Weights round about 210g (~7,5oz).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do love the Skechers Razor 3 (previously mentioned in this thread) - but just for racing.

A lightweight trainer I'm just getting into is the newest version of the Asics Gel DS trainer. It is fairly light with a narrow (very "grippy") tread, and both contribute to good speed. It is stiff and the cushioning isn't great for shock absorption, so I think this will be a 10 mile and under shoe for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight running shoe of choice [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Another Skechers Razor advocate here. They are light and cushioned. Promotes fast turnover and foot speed especially when tiring.

And another Skechers razor fan. Good price good cushioning good breathability (important here in the heat).

Just got some kinvaras too but skechers seem lighter and slightly softer. Both excellent. Anything on sale really.
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight running shoe of choice [Kipstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the Hoka Rincon. Light but still have great cushion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giving some love to my sponsor Newton. The Distance Elite, 7.3 ounces (my World Champion and Double European Championship shoes :)

Why? They put the rubber where I run, on the mid/front of the sole. They are light and the uppers NEVER wear out and look like new perpetually.
Last edited by: ChDoyle: May 28, 20 11:11
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight running shoe of choice [Passmore007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Passmore007 wrote:
Another vote for the Hoka Rincon. Light but still have great cushion.

Yep, absolutely agree.
I think this may be an under-rated shoe.
What I think is best about it is it is more responsive than other Hokkas while still providing amazing cushioning.
I also think that it is a completely neutral shoe; no arch support. Lets your feet be completely natural. Like barefoot with cushion and protection.

It is interesting here how the Skechers Razor 3 is pretty much unanimous and the Rincon is also in the running (pun intended).

I've also tried the Salomon S/Lab Sense 7 and Reebok Float Ride Run Fast.
- The Salomon was just too minimalist. Like a race flat for trail running.
- The Reebok was initially impressive but the sole material is sort of dull and dead feeling. Almost like it's absorbing energy vs propelling it, if that makes sense.
- And why aren't there more Nike % folks speaking up here? Odd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The two loves of my life right now is the Hoka Ricon and the Nike Pegasus Turbo 2, with the Turbo 2 as my favorite. I find my faster runs are always in the Turbo 2.
Last edited by: Ann Arbor Jeff: May 29, 20 6:06
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight running shoe of choice [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:

Did you have the One 2.5 before the Kayentas? How would you compare the two?
Laurent

Yes. LOVE the One 2.5. The Kayentas is a great next step from the One 2.5. Very similar feel and ride. But they added drain holes, which I like. And the Kayentas have what I would call a sock liner. I really like those.

I've been looking for a shoe with the same ride as the One 2.5 since I bought those. And the Kayentas are it. I hope you can get them where you are soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight running shoe of choice [marcrie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big Saucony advocate. I would recommend the Kinvara's, Freedom's or new Endorphin Pro (carbon racing shoe) for neutral shoes. Liberties if you need some support.
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight running shoe of choice [lukas_will] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got a pair of Altra Vanish Xc's, and really liking them. They're pretty minimal, but weigh 5.8 Oz for an 11.5,and have a full rubber xc outsole that is pretty versatile for road and trail. With the memorial day sales I got a pair for $60, so figured it was worth a shot, but even the regular price of $80 is very competitive.
Quote Reply

Prev Next