Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Light, Inexpensive Wheelset
Quote | Reply
I am looking for a light, inexpensive wheelset for my Fuji Grand Fondo road bike. I want something light for my hilly group rides this season. I'm considering the Hunt Race Aeros - they get great reviews online and they're only around $550 with shipping from the UK. Any thoughts on these or other comparable options? Maybe the Ksyrium Elite?
Quote Reply
Re: Light, Inexpensive Wheelset [Gville] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar to Hunt in the UK are Scribe wheels. A little bit of depth, pretty light, wide enough, pretty cheap (maybe even a bit cheaper).

They also have a nifty freehub design which gives near-instant engagement, if that's a thing, and a different kind of freewheeling sound. Can't say I've ridden any, though. If you search Scribe a forum member on here bought some maybe 6 months ago and was pretty happy IIRC.

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cero do good light shallow rims, I've get the ard23 as my winter wheels and the rim brake ones are meant to be as good. lots of smaller brands in the UK with good cheap light alloy wheels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Head over to weightweenies.com, find the wheel forum and check out some info on farsport and lightbike wheelsets. I have two sets of lightbike wheels on cross and gravel bike. If you go with some novatec or bitrex hubs you cant beat the price. All kinds of rims heights/widths/hubs available. I'm going to buy another set soon, some really light shallow clincher disc wheels, probably 1300 grams or so, to lighten up my gravel a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look for a used set of HED Ardennes
Quote Reply
Re: Light, Inexpensive Wheelset [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Look for a used set of HED Ardennes
I used to have HED Jets for my tri bike. I really like those. Thanks I’ll check it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Light, Inexpensive Wheelset [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Similar to Hunt in the UK are Scribe wheels. A little bit of depth, pretty light, wide enough, pretty cheap (maybe even a bit cheaper).

They also have a nifty freehub design which gives near-instant engagement, if that's a thing, and a different kind of freewheeling sound. Can't say I've ridden any, though. If you search Scribe a forum member on here bought some maybe 6 months ago and was pretty happy IIRC.

Cheers, Rich.

That was probably me. Still very happy with them and will likely buy another set for my next road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Light, Inexpensive Wheelset [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JeffJ wrote:
Head over to weightweenies.com,.
Where has that been all my life??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gville wrote:
JeffJ wrote:

Careful. The world suffered enough in 2020 with covid, we aren't prepared yet for the b'stard offspring of a slowtwitch watt optimised bike to intersect with the weightweenie negative mass bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Light, Inexpensive Wheelset [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:

Careful. The world suffered enough in 2020 with covid, we aren't prepared yet for the b'stard offspring of a slowtwitch watt optimised bike to intersect with the weightweenie negative mass bike.

We've already had that - look at BMANX sig
Quote Reply
Re: Light, Inexpensive Wheelset [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
Gville wrote:
JeffJ wrote:

LOL! The universe would explode!
Quote Reply