Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lezyne macro gps - anybody using?
Quote | Reply
Anybody using the lezyne macro gps? Do you like it? Looks like a good budget option. Getting tired of edge 520 battery life
Quote Reply
Re: Lezyne macro gps - anybody using? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one and its ok as a simple head unit for my power meter but its a bit lacking as a full bike computer for a couple of reasons.

The navigation is heavily dependent on your phone and the software is all a bit clunky. It is usable but certainly not ideal if you are actually depending on the unit to guide you. Furthermore you can't display navigation and ride data on the same page. So if you need to look at the map no power, spd, distance etc.

Also keep in mind that the stated battery life is extremely optimistic. To see the screen well you will want to turn on some level of back light and that drains the battery much quicker than the stated max. If you have it talking to your phone for notification or directions the battery life will go quicker still.

Having said all that I don't dislike the unit as a budget option.
Quote Reply
Re: Lezyne macro gps - anybody using? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
I have one and its ok as a simple head unit for my power meter but its a bit lacking as a full bike computer for a couple of reasons.

The navigation is heavily dependent on your phone and the software is all a bit clunky. It is usable but certainly not ideal if you are actually depending on the unit to guide you. Furthermore you can't display navigation and ride data on the same page. So if you need to look at the map no power, spd, distance etc.

Also keep in mind that the stated battery life is extremely optimistic. To see the screen well you will want to turn on some level of back light and that drains the battery much quicker than the stated max. If you have it talking to your phone for notification or directions the battery life will go quicker still.

Thanks for the input. My edge 520 chewed up 85% of its battery life on a 2 hour ride which is annoying especially considering I have Glonass turned off, backlight off. I forgot to turn off Bluetooth but can’t believe that would chew up that much battery. I have a polar m450 which is fine except it doesn’t have navigation which is something I currently use a lot as I’m in a new area. I might have to do factory reset and see if that does anything. Otherwise I’ll bug Garmin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the super GPS. Makes a good head unit and for $99 the fact that it picks up my di2 gearing and has strava live support is great.

Definitely clunky compared to a garmin. I actually record my ride on my garmin watch, and just use the lezyne as an easy to view display. If I have my phone I use the wahoo app for recording. I did a 2hr ride yesterday with 50% backlight and the battery is still at 85%, ymmv (it was recording, using gps, and had my hrm, speed/cad sensor, and di2 wirelessly connected).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got the Micro C. It's a solid computer for the price. I thought the screen would be hard to read outside, but it is fine. As others have said, the software is a little iffy, but it gets the job done. My main complaint is I don't think there is a way to turn off the GPS and is kind of useless for indoor riding, but I use a computer app for the trainer, so all is good.
Quote Reply
Re: Lezyne macro gps - anybody using? [D_Sapp17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
new firmware updates have improved the indoor riding capabilities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
Thanks for the input. My edge 520 chewed up 85% of its battery life on a 2 hour ride which is annoying especially considering I have Glonass turned off, backlight off. I forgot to turn off Bluetooth but can’t believe that would chew up that much battery. I have a polar m450 which is fine except it doesn’t have navigation which is something I currently use a lot as I’m in a new area. I might have to do factory reset and see if that does anything. Otherwise I’ll bug Garmin

The latest firmware updates for the Edge 520 seem to be causing battery drain issues for a lot of users, see https://forums.garmin.com/...battery-drain-issues
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
scott8888 wrote:

Dang, I have heard of issue. Had not noticed any yet, not sure what my screen backlight is set to, and I have Glonass turned on, but I usually have bluetooth turned off (sometimes I forget, but I ride with a different phone than it is paired with so there is not phone communication either way). I also never use navigation, so I guess that could be something.
Quote Reply