Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Leveling an xlab torpedo bta bottle
Quote | Reply
I recently installed an xlab torpedo versa 500 bottle on the aero bars of my Cervelo P3. I currently have the bars at a slight upward angle - perhaps 5-10%. The flexible straw is in the forward hole and not long enough to reach the back of the bottle and with the slight tilt to the bottle I can’t drink the last 4 oz or so. My options are:

- retrofit a longer straw
- level the bottle
- live with it

What have others done?
I saw in another post that Candace from Xlab suggested using spacers that are available from them. Looking at them on their website they don’t appear to be wedge shaped as I expected. Perhaps they could be cut into a wedge shape. I assume they are installed between the cage and the carbon mounting plate.
Quote Reply
Re: Leveling an xlab torpedo bta bottle [Troutd0g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would replace the tubing with something longer. They say you can get tubing from any medical supply company. Maybe Home Depot or Lowe's might have tubing that size. I too have a P3 and the BTA sits at a slight angle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Troutd0g wrote:
I currently have the bars at a slight upward angle - perhaps 5-10%. The flexible straw is in the forward hole and not long enough to reach the back of the bottle
I fixed mine by just installing a longer tube. It works great. The tubing is 7/16" OD Silicone Tubing with 1/4" ID (3/32" wall). Neither Home Depot nor Lowes sells this kind of material in my area; I got it online. (The stuff HD & Lowes sell is thinner walled and not as flexible-- it easily kinks.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I bought mine at the same time as I bought my bike, it came with a thick washer on the rear bolt. It wasn’t used but I ended up tilting my bars a little and just used the thicker washer between the plate and the bottle holder by loosening both bolts repositioning the washer and then tightening down. The front bolt even though it is not flat on the plate still works fine. If you need more angle, you will need a longer bolt and the just purchase some plastic toilet bowl shims ( they are not just for leveling toilets ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more thought on this... The first thing I would do is research which orientation is most aerodynamic: bottle at the same angle with arms and bars, or bottle level. I would let that research guide the next decision-- what to do about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey! Yeah those spacers are not wedge-shaped, but you could place one under the back (between the cage and plate) to tilt the cage forward - and ultimately the bottle.

Personally for me - I would add some tubing to the end making it a tad longer.

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Re: Leveling an xlab torpedo bta bottle [Jgill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a heads up - the thick washer/spacer on the rear bolt is located there to raise the rear bolt head up and into the bottle chassis' groove. Essentially acting as the locking mechanism preventing the bottle from launching. I do not recommend removing this thick spacer (normally black, but recent models we changed to a natural nylon color).

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Re: Leveling an xlab torpedo bta bottle [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought this from Amazon, Silicone Tubing, 1/4"ID, 7/16"OD, 3/32" Wall - 5 Feet, It was FDA approved for food use. 5 feet was $10. Worked perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Leveling an xlab torpedo bta bottle [clydecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you - I'll order the tubing so the "straw" will reach closer to the rear of the bottle, allowing access even when climbing.
Meanwhile I successfully leveled the bottle by cutting a 5/8" piece of rubber cylinder I had leftover from some other project. I drilled a hole in the center, cut it into a wedge that matched the angle I needed, then stacked a plastic washer under it to reach the desired height. I also placed a rubber washer under the front mounting hole to absorb the angle introduced by raising the rear of the cage. The cage is tight to the plate and the rubber eliminates any vibration-induced chatter. Works well and was very easy to do.
Quote Reply