Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lets put the weight training debate in the grave
Quote | Reply
Unless of course you are currently in the M35-39 or will be in the 40-44AG next year. If that is you, read and do the exact opposite.

From Bompa himself (and if you don't know who he is, you should hide in the corner and say 9 hail marys in arabic)

""Finally, for endurance-dominant sports, one needs to develop muscle-endurance [tens and even hundreds of reps]. If this isn't achieved, a good adaptation to such training won't occur.

Here is the article, worth the read, especially if you are in the I'm going to lift to crush dreams in triathlon camp. hahaha suckers.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler18.htm

And yes I browse strength training websites

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Lets put the weight training debate in the grave [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dude- there has never been any doubt in my mind that strength training is absolutely key to performance on many levels.

I'll even raise you one-

Bike fit and position.

A lot of issues with peoples' positions eminates from various muscular imbalances and weaknesses. They have saddle discomfort issues, lower back problems, excessive neck strain, etc. I've long thought a big part of it is laxity in certain muscle groups, often the core. They aren't "strong" enough to support maintaining a good cycling posture. As a result they treat the problem symptomatically- new saddle, bike fit, etc. All they need is a TRX, some kettlebells and a trainer to show them how to make their body more stable.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lets put the weight training debate in the grave [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strength training is basically universally accepted as being beneficial for endurance sports.
Tudor has his own thoughts, but even the opposite methods (eg high load and low reps) have been correlated with improvements in endurance performance.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lets put the weight training debate in the grave [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh no, here we go again.

I am sure I beat Desertdude at Wildflower because I lift weights and puncture gods looked on my more favourably, because the puncture god is actually a godess and she prefers guys with a bit more bulk than pencil neck tri geeks :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
season is over

do 12oz curls count?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Lets put the weight training debate in the grave [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Strength training is basically universally accepted as being beneficial for endurance sports.
Tudor has his own thoughts, but even the opposite methods (eg high load and low reps) have been correlated with improvements in endurance performance.

::bangs head on desk::

No its not universally accepted try again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"oh no you didn't", Brian.

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
""Finally, for endurance-dominant sports, one needs to develop muscle-endurance [tens and even hundreds of reps]. If this isn't achieved, a good adaptation to such training won't occur.

just spend more time climbing hills ...

"Muscle endurance is defined as the muscle's ability to sustain work for a prolonged period"

"endurance, strength and speed are keys to good performance, but the combination of muscular endurance and strength allow an athlete to perform multiple repetitions against resistance for a long period of time. Specifically, sports like distance running, rowing, cycling and cross country skiing have greater requirements of muscular endurance."

(Bompa, 2003)

Quote Reply
Re: Lets put the weight training debate in the grave [draketriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's universally accepted by a bunch of personal trainers at fitness centers accross the USA

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Lets put the weight training debate in the grave [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dude- there has never been any doubt in my mind that strength training is absolutely key to performance on many levels.

"Many levels"? How many? Which ones?
Quote Reply
Re: Lets put the weight training debate in the grave [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It's universally accepted by a bunch of personal trainers at fitness centers accross the USA

jaretj

Why the pink? That sounds accurate.

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. -Enzo Ferrari
Quote Reply
Re: Lets put the weight training debate in the grave [Bah Humbug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because we all know that the local personal trainer is the best source of fitness advice you can get.

Their job depends on it.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
its amazing that anyone ever went pro before CORE work was such a fad.

In Reply To:
All they need is a TRX, some kettlebells and a trainer to show them how to make their body more stable.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Lets put the weight training debate in the grave [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Because we all know that the local personal trainer is the best source of fitness advice you can get.

Their job depends on it.

jaretj

Just for dead clarity, I meant the fact that it was personal trainers pushing lifting that sounded accurate, not that weight training sounded accurate.

Best thing I ever did was give up the gym and SBR more.

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. -Enzo Ferrari
Quote Reply
Re: Lets put the weight training debate in the grave [Bah Humbug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I knew exactly what you meant :) I agree.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Lets put the weight training debate in the grave [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Just thought that required repeating.

Debate done.

Steve

http://www.PeaksCoachingGroup.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lets put the weight training debate in the grave [c.dan.jog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

"Many levels"? How many? Which ones?

It's all about level 11.
Quote Reply
Re: Lets put the weight training debate in the grave [c.dan.jog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These levels:

Injury prevention: Increased musculature may aid in distirbuting work load over muscles, soft tissues and skeleton in a more equitable manner, thus reducing the reliance and resulting exposure to damage on any one system: skeletal, muscular or connective. I have no study to cite. SWAG.

Stability: Specifically, when the muscles that stabilize the spine (erector spinae?) and torso are in relative development (i.e, sufficiently developed/adapted to resist opposing counter forces) to the "working" muscles such as the semi-membranosis (I don't know how to spell that), gluteal, vastus lateralus, rectus femoris, vastus medialis then you don;t see as much "sympathetic" or resultant movement in the torso under hard pedalling efforts. again- no handy study here- just my opinon.

Now, clearly, there has to be a corresponding vascular development and the ability to get the (increased) oxygen required to these larger, more developed muscles and get rid of the the extra CO2, but, I still think it helps.

Additionally, the shopping list of stuff I've been through is boggling- and I can still train and race. When I left the stroke wing at Oakwood hospital they told me I was the only person who ever walked off the wing. I know it is myopic to credit any one thing with all of that, but I'll suggest that a balanced approach to fitness may have been a contirbuting factor. Since I lived through it, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Weight training = good.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But now we wont have anything to "discuss"!!

--------------------------

Team Timex 2014
@ajhodges
Quote Reply
Re: Lets put the weight training debate in the grave [draketriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

BAHAHAHHAAAAAAA

yes, that is me laughing at your ignorance.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will help you in a fight. Like the one you just started.
Quote Reply
Re: Lets put the weight training debate in the grave [Johnny99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I won that fight a long time ago. I just needed to eat some popcorn tonight!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

BAHAHAHHAAAAAAA

yes, that is me laughing at your ignorance.

Let me guess I also need to work on my core strength to be a better triathlete right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to spend the time that I was tempted to spend posting the dozens of research studies on the benefits of strength training for endurance sports on my aforementioned book instead. Then you can have at it.

Ben Greenfield

Ben Greenfield

Nutrition & Human Performance Advice
http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next