Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomorrow is rejection day!

good luck! (as long as you aren't taking my spot)
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [AggieOO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AggieOO wrote:
tomorrow is rejection day!

good luck! (as long as you aren't taking my spot)

Yes, good luck to all!

With 8 tickets in each (4th year), my chances of being drawn:
Western States = 18.1%
Hardrock = 4.7%

Since those odds are pretty long, I already pulled the trigger on Tahoe 200
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
0 tickets for me for 2017 for either race but after Bandera 100K in January and Bighorn in June I'll start accumulating tickets for 2018. Good luck everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [JimK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck. I will put in for 2018. Do you have to run a qualifying race each year to keep trying?

I really thought about the LT 200, but couldn't pull the trigger. Good luck!

Brian

Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [cbritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cbritri wrote:
Good luck. I will put in for 2018. Do you have to run a qualifying race each year to keep trying?

Yes for Western States in order to keep your number of tickets, but if I read the complicated lottery procedure for Hardrock correctly I think you can miss a year (?)
Last edited by: JimK: Dec 2, 16 9:32
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [JimK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JimK wrote:
cbritri wrote:

Yes for Western States in order to keep your number of tickets, but if I read the complicated lottery procedure for Hardrock correctly I think you can miss a year (?)

For Hardrock, a qualifying race is good for 2 years. But you do have to apply both of those years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how long until I feel normal again? I completed my first 50miler 2 weeks ago. I took off a week and then got back to my usual mixed training trying to remember how to ride a bike and swim. 14 days post race my leg speed is awful which I expected, but don't like. Plus my legs are just tight. Today I ran my usual LSD route and it was a struggle.

Any advice on how long it'll take to come back to normal and suggested workouts ?

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Signed up for my first ultra, the Hallucination Hundred in September in Michigan. I have had absolutely no interest in getting on my bike since September but I have been slowly building my run mileage so I might as well set an audacious running goal for 2017.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [cbritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I attended the Western States Lottery in today with about 250 other ultra-runners hoping to see their name drawn. What an absolute electric atmosphere. I didn't get in but two of my buddies, the only other two I knew who entered, got their names pulled nearly back-to-back. There were 11,021 tickets for 250 slots with 4248 entrants. It was really cool to see how much of the World wants to run in our back-yard!! Chile, Argentina, France, Panama, UK, Czech Republic, Germany, United Arab Emirates, China, Australia, etc.

http://www.ultralive.net/lottery
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [camtdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lottery loser again. :(

registered for Bandera to check the box for 2018.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [AggieOO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rev3 is producing an Ultra on Oct 7, 2017 in Richmond, VA.
100-miles Richmond to Williamsburg to Richmond in conjunction with the 2d Anniversary of the Virginia Capital Trail.
50-mile, 50K and Relay options available.
There will be a press release soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [camtdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does the lottery work if you don't get picked? I am eligible for 2018 based on a race in Nov 2016. If I do not get picked do I need to do another race to be in the lottery with two chances for 2019?

Thanks,

Brian

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, if you don't get selected your ticket remains in the lottery in subsequent years but you do need to requalfy each year.

Quote:
Runners who are not accepted in the Lottery (and otherwise not admitted as an entrant) will remain in the “hat” for the next year’s Lottery and for each consecutive year that they apply but fail to be selected. Unaccepted lottery applicants must re-qualify and re-register for the lottery each year. If you are selected for the waitlist but decline the opportunity to register you will maintain your ticket counts in the next lottery. If you are entered in the race at any point your ticket counts will start over at the next lottery.[\quote]
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [jpeluso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpeluso wrote:
Rev3 is producing an Ultra on Oct 7, 2017 in Richmond, VA.
100-miles Richmond to Williamsburg to Richmond in conjunction with the 2d Anniversary of the Virginia Capital Trail.
50-mile, 50K and Relay options available.
There will be a press release soon.

It's a 4 or 6 person relay only, not an ultra, the 100 mile race anyway. I didn't see anything on their website about the shorter distances.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does one make transition from marathons/ LC racing to Ultras?
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [kitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kitch wrote:

Here's what I did in prep for my first 50k:

1. Stop swimming - Not a big deal for me. Even though I've been a swimmer since I was a kids I can take it or leave it.

2. Drastically reduce biking - I was probably down to about 50 miles a month at recovery pace.

3. Dramatically increase running - During my tri days I avg'd 30-40 miles per week. Over about 18 months I've built that up to my standard week is 50-55 miles and some weeks are in the 70-75 range. So far I've been able to handle it and withstand injury. In preparation for a 100k next Fall I plan to build my standard week to around 60 miles with occasional blips into the 70's and 80's.

Honestly I could have handled riding a bit more but time-wise work and family didn't allow for it. Part of the reason I switch to a single sport focus. Btw, I couldn't be happier. Even though I wasn't a runner as a kid it's my favorite of the three and I think about it all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shows how much time I spend in the main forum - just saw this thread today.

I've given up on tri entirely to play in the woods. Have already run a couple of races/events this year - an 8-hour indoor ultra on a 232m cement track (never again!), a 3-hour on trail and a 4-hour fatass a friend put on as a fundraiser. Real race season starts in April with the Pick Your Poison 50k (12.5k loop up and down ski hills) as a training race for Sulphur Springs 100k in late May, then The Limberlost Challenge 56k in July, Haliburton Forest 50mi in September, the brand new Sticks n'Stones 50k (put on by friends) and Horror Trail 6-hour in October.

Figure that ought to keep me busy for this year, but still allow some down time for a week each of backcountry canoeing and motorcycle touring, plus a couple of long weekend backpacking trips.

Quote | Reply
kitch wrote:

From marathons to ultras, there isn't much difference in training other than longer long runs. I have no idea what your current fitness level is or what your goals are but a few things I would recommend (I'll assume 50 miler is what you are looking at):

- back to back long runs, not every week if you are injury prone but still aim for 2 long runs per week (long is relative, obviously), I like to do 50 miles over 3 days on ocassion (5/25/20 or similar)
- I like to try and get a 50k long run for a 50 mile race
- try to run on a similar terrain as the race you are training for, at least once a week, preferably for one of the longer runs
- you don't need to do all your running on trails (if you are training for a trail race), mix it up and get some faster running in there
- core/strength exercises
- more mileage is not always better, consistency is key. undertrained is always better than overtrained/injured.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice. don't think I'll have a problem giving up the other two sports. Maybe I'll continue to swim
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [stickboy1125] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stick boy. Thanks for the advice. Have definitely been enjoying my marathon training especially when I take my long runs off road
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [kitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kitch wrote:
Thanks for the advice. don't think I'll have a problem giving up the other two sports. Maybe I'll continue to swim

Swimming is my recovery from running - my legs feel better when I make it to the pool once or twice a week when logging high mileage, especially since I go for a good stretch in the whirlpool afterward. If I'm short on time or it's the week of a race, though, I ditch it totally since the only lane swim times I can make are late evening and sleep is more important.

Quote | Reply
kitch wrote:

No need to overthink it. From a marathon background you're ready to step up to 50km, so just find a race and enter. Initial transition complete! :-)

From there you will be starting to mix with experienced ultra runners and you'll find that very helpful. The ultra scene is very friendly, welcoming and forthcoming.

As mentioned, just up your running mileage, the length of your long run and start incorporating back-to-back days if training for 50 mile/100km events.

And, yes, consistency and staying injury-free trumps all else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ran my first ever Ultra. I am a relatively new to running ( about 4 years) and really enjoy the sport.
Decided to run my first Ultra last weekend. The Inaugural Dunes 100 in Jupiter Florida. I got very lucky and had some incredible friends give me so much advice and also paced me after the 50 mile mark. The Dunes 100 course is about 40 miles of sugar sand with rolling dunes mixed in. Total of about 2600 ft gain up those freaking dunes. The remaining miles are mostly hard packed dirt with a good amount of roots. DTR ran the event and did a phenomenal job.

Race day temps reached 87 degrees with high humidity( Florida sucks). Around mile 26 I caught up to one of the lead runners (Matt ) and we would run the remainder of the race together. The heat and humidity did a number on us and after the 75 mile aid station it was very difficult to start running again. Without the wisdom of my crew chief/pacer(Nathan) I would of probably DNFd. Those dark miles suck. Me and Matt stuck together and crossed the finish line first and split the $1500 payout.

Even with the brutal course and conditions there were only 4 DNFs in the 50m and 100m and all the the female runners finished in time. Talk about some badass females!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [dualsport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dualsport wrote:
Ran my first ever Ultra....... Talk about some badass females!!!

Congrats! You know if you win your first one, there's only one way to go now unfortunately lol Impressive job with the heat and humidity, those can be a real killer.

dualsport wrote:
Total of about 2600 ft gain up those freaking dunes.

I don't know that I have ever run a 50K that was that flat :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TeamBarenaked wrote:
dualsport wrote:
Ran my first ever Ultra....... Talk about some badass females!!!

Congrats! You know if you win your first one, there's only one way to go now unfortunately lol Impressive job with the heat and humidity, those can be a real killer.

dualsport wrote:
Total of about 2600 ft gain up those freaking dunes.

I don't know that I have ever run a 50K that was that flat :)

Thanks. Might give the Keys100 a shot in 2018 and hope to do Badwater 135 before 2020.

Funest part of the Dunes 100 is watching your shoes disappear in the sand going down the Dunes. Kinda like skiing in deep fresh powder.
Quote Reply

Prev Next