Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [cbritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done a 50 in Saucony Kinvaras without any problems (terrain wasn't rocky/rooty), which is what I had run on pavement with as well. Didn't change shoes at all during the race. Now I am using Hoka Claytons and so far (~31mi training runs again for a non rocky/rooty terrain) they have been superb and feet feel in good condition. I intend to use the Claytons in a 100 later this year and don't plan to change them during the race unless I crap myself or something...
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [cbritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cbritri wrote:
What do you guys do for shoes? My feet were beat to crap last year after the 50. Doing the 100 this year and debating changing shoes every 25, or at least halfway. Does it help? Last year I was in Hokas too. At some point I am wondering if it is not about the softness.

7 weeks to go and thinking this is going to really, really hurt.

Looking after your feet is more important than changing shoes.

Knowing how to prevent and, if necessary, treat blisters is Ultra 101. Prevention is usually easier than treatment.

Your long training runs and shorter races should give a strong indication of which shoes are most comfortable for a 100 miler.

Blisters are primarily caused by two things: pressure and friction. Plan to eliminate these.

Preventative taping of particular spots where you are susceptible to blistering may be useful. Lube over the top of tape.

If a "hot spot" develops mid-race, don't wait to treat it. It won't get better on it's own. 5 minutes of foot maintenance early can save hours in the back end of the race.

Tape and lube are your friends.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably a good idea to bring some foot-aid stuff. I take pretty good care of my feet though.

Next thing on my mind, what, if any, real food do you eat? Can you make it on energy drinks, gels, etc.? Somebody told me chicken, cheese, avocado quesadilla. That sounds like a lot. I know the usual stuff at the aid stations. I would rather keep it simple. Last year for my 50 I did GU Roctane drink and gels until my stomach shut down. That started before the race, so not really a result of my plan that day. I train doing a gel every 4 miles.

Brian

Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be doing the Rio Del Lago 100 miler, Nov 5-6 http://rio100mile.com/

I'll be doing the Birkie Trail Marathon this coming Saturday as a tune-up. I've only done a 50 miler previously so this will be my first attempt at 100 miles.
Last edited by: JimK: Sep 26, 16 12:47
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what kind of tape do you use for blister prevention?
lately i am getting an almost blister on the side of the ball of my foot. kinesio tape did not stay stuck.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [gogogo!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm interested here as well and about fueling. I get a under the callous blister on the long run and would love a tape solution. As for fuel, I'm still not sure what I'll in November. I'm trying different things but nothing is all that good right now.

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [gogogo!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gogogo! wrote:
what kind of tape do you use for blister prevention?
lately i am getting an almost blister on the side of the ball of my foot. kinesio tape did not stay stuck.

During the March 15 Science of Ultra podcast they had John VonHof who talked a lot about foot/inside shoe taping strategies

http://www.scienceofultra.com/...gory=Health+and+Care

Here's his book as well: https://www.amazon.com/...care#customerReviews
Last edited by: JimK: Sep 26, 16 16:49
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [TriBri00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBri00 wrote:
I'm interested here as well and about fueling. I get a under the callous blister on the long run and would love a tape solution. As for fuel, I'm still not sure what I'll in November. I'm trying different things but nothing is all that good right now.

I've used Gatorade and Skratch for my Ironman racing but recently tried Tailwind and I'm pretty sure I'll be using it for my 100 miler in November
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [JimK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is there enough calories in that ? no solid food for 24 hours? I've never done a 100 miler, but I would worry about getting the shits on only liquid nutrition. OTOH, if you did an Ironman I guess it'll work for you going a bit longer

Brian
Last edited by: TriBri00: Sep 26, 16 20:01
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [TriBri00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBri00 wrote:
is there enough calories in that ? no solid food for 24 hours? I've never done a 100 miler, one but would worries about getting the shits on only liquid nutrition. OTOH, if you did an Ironman I guess it'll work for you going a bit longer

I plan on taking a GuRoctane or just GU per 60 to 90 min, at least to start and will graze on aid station food (salty chips, etc) as the race wears on. Will probably have applesauce packs in drop bags as well. I've experimented with different solid foods on my long runs (up to 30 mi) and have tolerated everything well. Tailwind will be mixed 2 scoops per 24 oz bottle (200 cals).
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [JimK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heading to Sacramento in the morning to take on the Rio Del Lago 100 Mile Endurance Run this weekend. High of 71 on Saturday with lows Fri and Sat nights in low 50s with just a chance of showers Sat night. A little warm on Sat but I'll take it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JimK wrote:
Heading to Sacramento in the morning to take on the Rio Del Lago 100 Mile Endurance Run this weekend. High of 71 on Saturday with lows Fri and Sat nights in low 50s with just a chance of showers Sat night. A little warm on Sat but I'll take it.

Good luck out there. Have you done a 100M race before?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck! My first 100 is on the 12th. It will be much warmer than I planned on, but it was a pretty hot summer. Feeling ready. Now just need a little bit of luck myself. Let us know how it goes.

Brian

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JimK wrote:

How did the race go for you? The weather was outstanding. I was out there as well. It was by far, the toughest event I've every done! This tops the list over 2013 IMLT and the Death Ride by a long shot.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have my first Ultra coming up in February. The Dunes 100 miler on soft terrain which includes lots of sugar sand. Recently did my first full distance triathlon and trying to figure out how much harder the 100 miler would be.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [dualsport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a good base coming off IM Boulder in August (second full distance tri). RDL 100 was a different beast entirely for me. Prior to Saturday, I had never run more than 31 miles or climbed more than 9,000'. RDL was 100 miles with 13,000' of gain. My biggest mistake was my failure to properly train or plan. I assumed that I could get by on fitness from Boulder. I finished but I certainly learned a lot. I was a complete rookie out there.

A few takeaways.
  1. Take care of your feet as mentioned in an earlier post! A $20 pair of ultra gaiters would have saved me from 45 miles of sheer pain. Rocks and gravel were constantly in my shoes. Also, have the right socks!
  2. Have a plan for nutrition! I fell short on sodium intake and was unable to take in calories later in the race
  3. Light - Be sure to have a back-up battery or headlamp. I started losing my light at mile 97 and had to rely on a crappy little Energizer light. I deliberately left my back-up battery at mile 74 thinking I'd finish earlier than I did. Oops.
  4. Be sure to have good pacers and communicate your race plan and your needs ahead of time. I had good pacers and wouldn't have finished without them!
  5. Training: I averaged less than 40 miles per week during the 12 weeks leading up to RDL. This was not enough for me.

Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [dualsport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone interested in starting an Un-official 2017 Ultra running thread? I'm trying to get some motivation for next year's season as I totally took 2016 off completely.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I would. I'm doing IMNZ in March 17 and was really thinking about doing my first ultra in Sept 17. It's a 100km, longest I've ever run so far is 26km!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running my first 100+ in February in Jacksonville. The 110 with Donna. It's kind of a stage race with 84 on Saturday then join a marathon on Sunday morning. It's all asphalt, which sucks. Only doing it because of the cause, breast cancer research.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking forward to my first (JFK50), but doubt there will be a second. I'm done with the big weeks and tapering for the race on the 19th. The last few weeks I've been getting my mileage in and will run into cyclists (road and MTB). I'll see them and think, wow that looks like fun. I get all wistful for a nice day on the bike.

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would.

I'm returning to the Marathon des Sables (Morocco) in April. I did it last year and have delusions of cracking the top-50 this time. I am also going to try and raise a significant amount of money for a local charity as well.

The plan then is the North Face Endurance 50 Miler in July (Ontario, Canada). I'm then toying either with Ironman Mont-Tremblant in August or the Ultra-Trail Hurricana 125 KM in September (both in Quebec, Canada).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
masterslacker wrote:
Anyone interested in starting an Un-official 2017 Ultra running thread? I'm trying to get some motivation for next year's season as I totally took 2016 off completely.

You could start one, or we can wait until closer to the new year. I have two ultras planned for next year, so I am in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
masterslacker wrote:
I'm in! 2017 will be a transition year for me as I'll be moving the family somewhere at some point (thanks for the clarity, USAF...). Won't know if I'll be able to sign up for a 140.6, so I'll be focusing on getting into the Bull Run 50 or the North Face 50 in NoVA in April.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [camtdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
camtdc wrote:
JimK wrote:

How did the race go for you? The weather was outstanding. I was out there as well. It was by far, the toughest event I've every done! This tops the list over 2013 IMLT and the Death Ride by a long shot.
Congrats on your finish. This was my first attempt at the 100 mile distance. Unfortunately, I had to pull the plug at mile 67 (Hwy 49 aid station) due to severe nausea/vomiting. In hindsight I should have stayed at the aid station much longer to try to reset my stomach because I had plenty of time to get under 30 hours. But, in the moment I didn't think there was ANY way I could make it to the next aid station (3.5 miles away) where there was a medical staff present. I was moving very slowly and my balance was off, which on narrow trails in the dark just wasn't safe. I've already registered for the Bandera 100k (January 7) to get my 2018 WS100 qualifier under my belt and then I'll pick another 100 miler for later in the year.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]

Prev Next