Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Let's talk IM Maryland
Quote | Reply
With roughly 18 wks till Maryland several of us are starting to get ready for our first full. So what do we need to get in order? I have so many questions....Let's start with wheels.
Can I run a disc?
60 or a 90 front?

Help us out please.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk IM Maryland [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Deep front and disc is fine. You might catch some wind as the weather is somewhat unpredictable. Bigger concern is your position, be able to hold aero for 112, from my experience you’ll see a lot and pass a lot of people sitting up from mile 80 on if you can maintain your position. Anything else ?

Big Sexy Racing 2018
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk IM Maryland [Diehl78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Any thing u can offer is appreciated.

What's parking like?
Aid stations?

Anything.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Course is completely flat and very windy (two times I did it), so as mentioned being able to maintain aero is super important
There is no parking on the streets next to transition, but there is a guy that has a lot that will let you park there for the day for $20. Its right where transition is on the main road.
Aid stations are just like any other IM race and there is a lot of local support when you run through the town. It does get quite lonely when you are riding out there.

Biggest thing to note is the weather. First time I did it they shortened the swim. Second time they cancelled the swim, bike was 100 miles and run around transition area was through a foot or two of water. Search the forum, there are plenty of threads about it.

I gave up on it and did Florida last year which was just perfect weather (albeit hot). Just too risky for me given I only do one full race a year
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk IM Maryland [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t give away the parking secrets ! Lol
Yes, use the 20 dollar parking on the guys front lawn for the weekend!
Choptank can live up to its name and be a little choppy, be prepared for that.
I never remember any issues with the aid stations that could be problematic, it’s a well run race.

Big Sexy Racing 2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode with 808s with no issues. I would suggest doing your long rides and runs later in the day when it is hotter and there is a lot more wind than those early morning rides and runs.

Watch out for the HILL

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally agree with deep front and disc back. There are probably very few races where it would be as helpful as this one since there is zero elevation g/l. Only warning I'd have is if it floods like it did in 2016 in which case watch out for the puddles - my disc partially filled with water in one and made for a awkward few miles
Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went with a 60 front and back, felt like a 80 or 90 might have been better but a disc would have been a mistake. There were some pretty heavy winds that I learned later are pretty standard. I got blown around for a while and was happy I didn’t fly off the road! Winds changed direction a few times, plenty of tailwinds for all the headwinds. Just stay low and focused and you’ll have a great split, it ain’t the wheels it’s the rider!

Swim was standard stuff, be ready for the current on the way in to the turn and exit, it’s disheartening how much it slows you down when you realize it’s pushing back that hard, otherwise it’s a nice swim. Don’t think twice about the jellies, total non factor. I got stung on the nose on a test swim the day before, felt like a pinch, nothing bad at all.

Very well organized, no issues with the aid stations, nice run course, along the water and through the town for the chute. Last years weather was a stunner, perfect, but there were some obviously bad times past couple years.

Plenty of parking, get there early enough to park on the side streets. Leave yer tires a little under inflated over night, gets colder than you’d think, plenty of pumps around in the morning. Great post race food. Super locals to cheer on.

Make a plan and stick to it. Enjoy! I’d love to come back this year but can’t, hopefully next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said position is huge for that race. Have to be able to hold it entire race. I got out of aero to pee 6-8x and for one flat change. Its a race that's like sitting on trainer. If you get some wind consider that lucky since it will help to be able to push into something.

Run is mentally taxing as not a lot of crowd support for a good portion.

Run a disc 100% and the biggest front wheel you can, even if its windy F it its flat you wont get blown off the road. Big deep wheels all day at Maryland. Big time position race, have a good position and be able to hold it.

Its a race you just have to be mentally strong and disciplined.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also raced in 2016. I'll agree with the comment about being able to stay aero. If you can stay in a good position for the whole ride you'll save a lot of time.

And pay for parking on site. I parked at the school where the shuttle runs to. I would have paid anyone a lot of money to get me and my bike from the race site back to my race after the race. It wasn't fun trying to get myself and my bike onto a school bus after the race to be shuttled back to the parking area.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk IM Maryland [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys! Is Maryland typically wetsuit legal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it’s near Church Creek make sure to bring both front wheels. In a 40k getting knocked around by the wind when using a 90 mm front wheel isn’t a big deal, but it would have to suck doing 112 miles. I’ve done CC 4 times and it’s always been windy.....and hotter than the surface of the sun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, wetsuit legal but that’s not with a lot of history. As pointed out, swim was cancelled once, race date moved 3 times...if the date holds it’ll juuust be wetsuit legal, but you’ll want it. Eagleman is the same course and hot as balls...swimming naked wouldn’t even help...but it becomes bearable later in the season. Look, no lies, heat management is part of your day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you are m35-39, definitely no disc or deep front. you want to use training wheels on this course because it's so windy. ;)

This will be my first full IM as well, (kinda - raced IMTX when bike was 18 miles short), but this is definitely the first time I'm going to try and race one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am planning on 90 front and rear, what sort of gearing did you use? I seems pancake flat.....
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk IM Maryland [SlowAmericano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
12-21 in 10 speed I used. 52 front. You won’t change gears much at all.

Big Sexy Racing 2018
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk IM Maryland [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesnt look like the high temperature could be a problem during the race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bingo, I have a brand new 11x21 setting on the workbench. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk IM Maryland [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I'm in your age group 35 to 39 but this will be my first full so don't worry I'll be at the back of the pack. I'm going to run a 60 front in a disc rear I think. I know we're 18 weeks out but I'm kind of sweating it already as I still don't have my new TT bike finished up
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk IM Maryland [pag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was sunny and warm last year during the run (nowhere near Eagleman heat/humidity). I don't recall the temp, but perhaps someone here does. I just remember throwing a lot of water on myself during the run. The thing is, during that time of the year and in that neck of the woods, you could run into any kind of temp. It could be crazy cold or hot.

pag wrote:
It doesnt look like the high temperature could be a problem during the race?

Quote | Reply
Did this race just have a couple of years of terrible luck? Or is it that we just shouldn't be trying to do an Ironman swim in that area at that time of year? Looking at the swim times from last year, they seem pretty slow. I'm wondering if the cancelled swim was really an aberration or not.

I know this isn't cool to admit, but if I trained hard and flew across the country for an IM and the swim was cancelled, I would have trouble 'rolling with it'.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
60 Front - Disc in back. That course is windy. I've ridden 808s and 60s there a lot and 60s are the way to go, but always have a disc in back... it feels stable. I weigh 163lbs. If you can bring more wheels to select from on race day, that would be best. Cya there!
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk IM Maryland [tridave101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode that combination at the Outer Banks 70.3 last year which was windy as hell super stable Flo 60 in the front disc in the rear
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd been having a look at this, I'm over for Chicago marathon and this is a week before or there are a couple of 70.3's but I've got a few questions if anyone can answer. But, it all depends on my IT Band which has been giving me grief for about 8 weeks, although improving.

What are the road surfaces like, is it slow coarse tarmac and full of potholes? It looks very flat but I'm reasonably used to being in a low TT position and I'm planning on doing a couple of 100M TT's this year.

What about getting there and accommodation, I'd probably have to go to Washington, what's the transport like between the two locations, would I need to hire a car?

There doesn't look to be much accommodation close by, or it is very expensive and it looks likely I'll need to stay for 4 nights as they won't let you register on the Friday. I've even looked on Airbnb and not much is coming up unless you want to rent a full house, or am I missing something?

Jeff
Quote Reply