Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Let's have a fun topic: silly bike ride "gymkhana" ride/route
Quote | Reply
So, I used to be into car tuning stuff before bike stuff. We'd always be waiting for the next year's "Hoonigan" or gymkhana video to come out.

The 2020 one came out the other day and was a fun watch. I'm not going to spam link it here and give them clicks, but basically police close off your hometown just for you to go race and do donuts and jumps around in your tuner car.

It got me thinking, if you could have any road/path/route closed off and setup to race around like damned fools just for you and your racing buddies..........what would it be.

It could be off-road, like a custom MTB setup at a farm. Could be a time trial or criterium route through a major city. Could include prior real life race routes now closed to public.

Doesn't have to be where you live either. What can you think of?

1. 2017 Tour de France stage 21 through the Grand Palais then around the Champs. Pretty unique thing to do going indoors through that thing.

2. Seems silly, but the loop of our beltline. It's exactly 25mi around it. Has shit pavement, so wouldn't work. But a 25mi TT around that.

3. A Manhattan road race or TT hitting up some major bridges and sights.

4. An active airforce base with cool planes and hangars open would be neat. Race around and through all that stuff.

5. Local variant of a BWR using some "no bikes allowed" stuff and bandit trails.

6. Chernobyl MTB ride. You know, the whole radiation problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's have a fun topic: silly bike ride "gymkhana" ride/route [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've hiked the grand canyon quite a few times, but we always stay on the main trails (SK, NK, BA). I'd enjoy riding my MTB out there so that i could get around faster and spend more time exploring other trails like Tonto, Clear Creek, etc. If if there as a little hike-a-bike, it would still be fun and beautiful. But, bikes aren't allowed there for many good reasons.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's have a fun topic: silly bike ride "gymkhana" ride/route [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
4. An active airforce base with cool planes and hangars open would be neat. Race around and through all that stuff.

Like this??

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Let's have a fun topic: silly bike ride "gymkhana" ride/route [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

Like this??

Is that you? If so, you suck! Just kidding, glad you got to do that if it was you. That's freaking cool!!! Where was that?

+3 points right there for you!

The other thing I've wanted to see a pro triathlete or pro cyclist do is one of those "car vs bike" races. The bike gets a closed course route across a busy city scape........the car has to do some shennanigans............who gets there first.

The other would be to do a TT like Top Gear has done the sports car vs. race car vs. F1 car races where they know the lap times and plan it so they all cross the line together within a second of each other. Have a B group rider start first. Minutes later a hobbyist TT guy. Last.........send Ganna after them.

There's a video of a club "motorway" time trial in Britain where Wiggins passes a slower guy. Admittedly the guy is only going 24mph, which even in a headwind seems slow to me.......but lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbP-kvNwYsc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
LAI wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

Like this??

Is that you? If so, you suck! Just kidding, glad you got to do that if it was you. That's freaking cool!!! Where was that?

+3 points right there for you!

The other thing I've wanted to see a pro triathlete or pro cyclist do is one of those "car vs bike" races. The bike gets a closed course route across a busy city scape........the car has to do some shennanigans............who gets there first.

The other would be to do a TT like Top Gear has done the sports car vs. race car vs. F1 car races where they know the lap times and plan it so they all cross the line together within a second of each other. Have a B group rider start first. Minutes later a hobbyist TT guy. Last.........send Ganna after them.

There's a video of a club "motorway" time trial in Britain where Wiggins passes a slower guy. Admittedly the guy is only going 24mph, which even in a headwind seems slow to me.......but lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbP-kvNwYsc

I guess that would be the ultimate in portable ramps that you were looking for: it can self transport to any AFB in the world... :)

While you don't get to really go "around and through all that stuff", there is the Race On The Base in SoCal, at the Los Alamitos Joint Forces Training Base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdCDBC58vpE

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's me with too high of a saddle.

This event was a run a few times, but as you can imagine in a post 9/11 world it is a difficult one to pull off. This was my one and only time having the pleasure of participating. I know of at least one other time the event was held, at least since I have been racing in MABRA. It's held on Dover Air Force Base in Delaware.

Pretty cool thing to be a part of and rolling out of the back of a C-130 for a Time Trial start is awesome. However, the majority of the race is out on a public road (out and back). Only a few hundred feet is spent in and around the planes before you roll off post to do the meat of the Time Trial. But it's a cool novelty nonetheless.

Here is the segment: https://www.strava.com/segments/1332605

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Dec 10, 20 10:52
Quote Reply
Re: Let's have a fun topic: silly bike ride "gymkhana" ride/route [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, yeah, the "mobile start ramp". That's the winner.

As for the saddle......, just do the TT bike shuffle. We literally have a local TT segment that's part of the longer TT route titled "my tai*& is on fire".

A good bet nowadays would be a civilian run airshow if you wanted to do the airstrip/plane time trial. Or the supercar 1/2 mile runs they do sometimes places.

They used to do a "Maxton Mile" land speed race in NC on an old long airstrip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
A good bet nowadays would be a civilian run airshow if you wanted to do the airstrip/plane time trial. Or the supercar 1/2 mile runs they do sometimes places.

That's one of the features of the Race On The Base, it's held entirely on the base. But it looks there won't be a 2021 race...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just looked up that video and didn't realize that's what why he was jumping Ego Alley a few months ago!! super cool to see since I've been on just about all those roads!

There usually is a tri in Annapolis where you swim around the dock, bike out of town, then run through the downtown dock area and the Naval Academy.

There's also Escape The Cape in Cape May, NJ where you get to jump off an aircraft carrier (or some large ship).

And Montreal Esprit lets you ride around the F1 track up there (granted it is normally open to the public, but they have to go the other way around..).

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Let's have a fun topic: silly bike ride "gymkhana" ride/route [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
There's also Escape The Cape in Cape May, NJ where you get to jump off an aircraft carrier (or some large ship).

It's a ferry

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done Alley Cat races and Poker Runs with bike messengers

Lots of pedaling and drinking

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply