Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Let's chat Sufferfest...
Quote | Reply
Two weeks ago Sufferfest and Wahoo rolled out their ALL IN program offering free access to scratch your training itch while confined indoors. We wrote about it HERE.

I've used their cycling videos in the past to destroy the carpets in our house with the buckets of sweat generated BUT am using this ALL IN program more for the Strength and Yoga sessions on offer. Those tend to be areas I'd otherwise always neglect during a race build. They also just added a few swimming specific strength videos which have been useful as access to a pool, lake or ocean isn't currently available.

Who else is doing these Sufferfest workouts? Which ones are you finding most useful?
Quote Reply
Re: Let's chat Sufferfest... [VALHALLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty new to Sufferfest but I'm really liking it. I did one of the mash-up vids which absolutely destroyed me. I hadn't looked at any of the strength sessions but might try and force myself to do a swimming workout. At $130 bucks a year, this app is looking like the most cost effective tool I've ever used.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's chat Sufferfest... [alltom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not using it currently but have done the 2 week trial a couple times and I think the addition of the yoga,stretching, strength stuff makes for a solid product for a self coached athlete. I currently have a coach but she has always included some level of strength work in my plan all year round. More during the off-season but still one or two sessions a week in season. But when I eventually go back to self coaching sufferfest may be the route I choose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't know about this free offer... but I have some of the 'old' Sufferfest vids from when you bought videos vs. their new app. My experience is that the name is accurate... all of their workouts done with a close to accurate FTP will have you hanging on by a finger nail at the end. For a long ride, The Blender was a good one.

I haven't used them in a while since I have plenty of structure from my coach but when I do them I'm definitely not on carpet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used the SF for about three years. I'm currently in the final stages of the 100 mile gravel training plan. (alas, my gravel race and camp were both cancelled). Setting up your FTP by doing the 4DP test (and prep) is key. The videos kick my ass and that's rewarding. I've managed to increase my FTP 30% so I think they definitely work. The yoga is good (for a guy who doesn't do yoga). I've not tried their triathlon plans.

My only nit-pick is the calendar function is a bit clumsy. It doesn't sync with Garmin (perhaps it will soon with Wahoo) so outdoor rides in the training plans are not recorded (just 'completed' or not completed).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love them. I had the old videos when you could buy them individually, and thought those were great. Got a Peloton mostly for my wife and I got a Sufferfest subscription. I use Sufferfest videos on my TV with the Peloton in 'just ride' mode. Really love the workouts and the videos. Many of the Sufferfest videos are intense, but they are actually less intense than the Peloton workouts. I was lucky enough to do a race on the Liege-Baston-Liege course ten years ago - my favorite Sufferfest videos are the ones on that course to remind me. I also think their yoga workouts are great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still waiting for an Android app. That's something like 4 years and counting (ever since they stopped selling the videos separately and went subscriotion).
Quote Reply
Re: Let's chat Sufferfest... [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does the gravel plan differ from any of the cycling ones you've previously done with them?

Looks like prepping riders for Dirty Kanza is a big deal for them. Last year's race winner Amity Rockwell is leading a Q&A ride tomorrow. If it's half as good as Rohan's was on Friday there will be some solid takeaways.

Here's a link to their live stream:
Quote Reply
Re: Let's chat Sufferfest... [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another free promo code is floating out there from the folks over at AltRed. It's for 1-month free Sufferfest access. Code is: ALTREDSUF30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The (100 mile) gravel plan differs from other plans in a couple of ways:
1. Much longer endurance rides and they're back-to-back.
2. They will sometimes regulate the workout (tone it down) for me going into a long weekend or after tougher sessions. Perhaps this is because it's a 6-7 day/week training plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Yoga app quite a bit. The sessions are short enough that I can generally find time to do them 4 or 5 days a week. The strength program would be a nice feature, but it isn't incorporated into many of the training plans. A downside to the Sufferfestis that it always feels like a beta version product. Things like being able to cast to a Roku or ChromeStick are promised upgrades. Ramp test. android compatibility. Let's hope the investment by Wahoo gets these features added.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using Sufferfest since back in early February. I got a smart trainer over the holidays, been training with power for years. I think the workouts are super effective - and totally agree with others that your FTP needs to be accurate, if you estimate it too high you will not survive. If your FTP is accurate the workouts are perfectly constructed to have you hanging on by a thread. It took me a few sessions to get through the self-doubt (there's no way I can recover from this effort and do this next one...take a 30sec pause then get back to it) and realize that if my FTP was accurate I'd be able to make it.

They do a great job of making the roadie style of training accessible to those of us without a Weekly World Championships type of group ride available. 2x20 is great, but 2x20 with a ton of surging and "racing" is more fun, more challenging, and more engaging.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: Let's chat Sufferfest... [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flexibility and stretching has always been tossed to the back burner but pleasantly surprised how manageable these Yoga sessions are. Feel considerably better when they've been banked hitting a run or bike workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's chat Sufferfest... [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried the swim strength sessions yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the Belgian Waffle Ride code for 3 months free for BWR participants.
Haven't been following it to closely, just picking and choosing a bunch of sessions and I did the 4DP test.

I only do the cycling sessions, but find them really fun and interesting.
Lately I've done:
- The Way Out
- Angels
- Butter
- Violator
- Blender
- Team Scream
- A Very Dark Place
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using Sufferfest since the guy was making them when he lived in Switzerland(?) He made and offered them as a video podcast and donation pay, then the UCI got him for copyright and he went for the payment way and getting licenses. I've always loved the videos and it's been fun to watch it grow to what it is today. I still have those first three he made, those are the best, awesome music.
Last edited by: pedalduck: Apr 13, 20 11:09
Quote Reply
Re: Let's chat Sufferfest... [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it a gravel cycling training plan with a specific race in mind - BWR or DK?

Or is it more about getting you into good shape to tackle any gravel race that pops up on your radar during that general time window?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not for a specific race. I had an 80-mile race in may and a week-long camp in June planned (cancelled) and figured the plan would be a good fit time-wise.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's chat Sufferfest... [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quite a few years back i used the Tour of Suf to smash my legs into submission and utterly tear apart my soul, all in an effort to get ready for the upcoming cycling season.

what it lacked in sheer "saddle time" and junk miles, it made up for in quality efforts.

thinking following one of their plans might be the way to go to prep for a late summer or fall gravel race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the final recovery week of their Volcano Climbing plan and the recovery couldn't have come sooner. That being said, the plan was awesome and I'm curious to test my FTP later this week. Like another poster said, Suf takes you to a place where you think you can't make it and yet somehow you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's chat Sufferfest... [alaska848] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you retest your FTP, do you do so through Sufferfest, using a standard FTP test or their 4DP?

The only thing harder than a FTP test might be the 3 minute test!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VALHALLA wrote:
When you retest your FTP, do you do so through Sufferfest, using a standard FTP test or their 4DP?

The only thing harder than a FTP test might be the 3 minute test!

You use 4DP. I'd say it's more accurate than a standard FTP test.
It pegged me as a rouleur... I suck equally at everything. HA!
Quote Reply
Re: Let's chat Sufferfest... [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put my pride on the shelf and underwent the Full Frontal yesterday. Hadn't done that in two years. Uff da. Ugly but needed as I'm looking to fill in the Fall with a gravel event or two and need to know where my starting place is.

Anyone else done their Full Frontal / 4DP?

What rider type did they peg you at?

I was classified as a Time Trialilist, not surprising as my baseline is not stellar in any of the other categories currently!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Attacker. Based on my weak numbers across the test, I think it must be the Sufferfest equivalent of the people who ride the short bus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi! Given that COVID-19 restrictions aren't going anywhere, I finally bought a smart trainer and signed up for the free Sufferfest two-week trial. We were using some of their videos at my gym, so I was generally familiar with them and 'enjoy' their videos. Did the 'Blender' this AM. Question: When I signed up for the App I plugged in what I thought my FTP was -- well the ride got so hard at times that I could barely turn the pedals, so I reduced the 4DPs across the board first to 80%,then to 70% ... made the hardest parts bearable ( my rpm was down to 10), but the time trials at the end were too easy. I had originally planned to do a couple of rides to get my bike legs back after a winter of mostly run training, but I think I need to do the 4DP test at the beginning to get an accurate read -- but, I have no power meter ... so will the 4DP test even be useful for me?
Quote Reply

Prev Next