Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Let's be honest - it's a fashion show
Quote | Reply
Enjoying Bunnyman's tongue in cheek posts about the equipment police, but let's be totally honest about - the latest most expensive equipment is no more faster than cheaper stuff that you can get secondhand.

Take CH Aero disc wheel covers. Wind tunnel proven to be just as fast as any thing else. $59.95 new, but I even did better and bought mine second hand off ebay for thirty bucks. Of course I could have bought a new Zipp but why stop there, for another grand more I could get a Campagnolo disc. But for the huge investment of thirty bucks my rear wheel is just as aero.

Nobody will oogle over my CH Aero covered rear wheel in the transition area but will go completely nuts over the guy's bike with the Campagnolo disc on the back, but IT'S DEFINATELY NOT because his rear wheel is any faster than mine. It's all about looking cool. ie FASHION.

Look at the Kona bike times. Not a post 1996 top ten despite all these new fangled aero improvements. With the women, Paula's 1993 time still holds.

Do you need any more proof that all these latest high tech gizmos won't make you any faster? How pray tell, can the latest gollygeewhiz carbon one piece bar be any faster than that old aluminium quill Vision Tech. Simple - it's not.

There's nothing wrong with spending $$$$$$ for all the latest keeno stuff. But realize that this is a fashion statement more than it is for performance. If a guy/gal wants to spend the money to look cool then that's great, but if they are spending it thinking that they're getting improved performance than they've been suckered big time and should have done more research.

My bikes aren't cheap, buy when I see a guy with the $$$$$$ bike I tend to think either he's got more money than I do to waste or his priorities are different but if he's faster on the bike than I am it's only because his engine is better. Not because he's got a Campagnolo disc and I've only got CH Aero covers.

That's my $.02.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's be honest - it's a fashion show [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never did I think that my tongue-in-cheek posts would be taken so bloody seriously!!!! My second thread on the subject was a culmination of what made me mad and how seriously my comment of "you'll look cool doing it" was taken.

It is a fashion show. I am going to the races this year to show off some of my wildest creations to date. I usually don't do things that outwardly visual, but the thin bike I am doing will get some looks. Do I want those looks? Of course, I do. I want enough interest drawn to my designs.

What do I really think of a lot of the new stuff? Not nearly as good as some of the older, proven things. Why has the Syntace C-2 gone unchanged forever and a day? Because it is perfect as it is. Vision Tech bar is probably one of the best bars made, even if it is the weight of some wheelsets (I am kidding). I am replacing my fork with a steel one made for my Fox, as I can't find a fork I like.

I will admit that I will oggle if a guy has something really unique, whether it be a home made disc cover, a home made bike frame, an old 700c X 600 (24") funnybike, or the latest cool whatever the heck it is. I even oggled a 75 year old guy's ancient Kestrel 4000 with original Specialized tri spokes, repleat with downtube shifting, Scott 100K bars, and a seven speed freewheel. I even saw a guy with brand new 1987 Look pedals he found in a bike shop's going out of business sale.

It is good that everyone has their steeds. It is good that some people can spend the money. It is good that a person can beat everyone on a $50 yard sale special bike. I have a funny feeling it is because he had more in the tank. But please hug the slow guy on the $$$$$ bike, as he helps make bike things cheaper in the long run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 word to sum it all up

GENETICS

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Let's be honest - it's a fashion show [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"1 word to sum it all up ....GENETICS "

And a little bit of effort on your training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hell yeah it's a fashion show, that's why i race in the smallest speedo i can wiggle into....the best $5 bulk-rack special i could find.

Back when i was poor i also used a laminated poster board wheel cover that i made while watching the super bowl 2 years ago. It was complete with a stenciled campy star. I enjoyed racing that thing, and it got more comments and attention than anyone elses wheels during pre/post race transition area banter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whether or not the posts have been of a serious or joking nature, the information has been beneficial to me. The idea of whether you have to "spend more to win more" seems to go in cycles. Today, people seem to be saying that it's more the engine than the vehicle, and then later on they'll be talking about all the necessary tech uprades you "just have to have".

I remember the latter, and the thread on vacation/race spending and sometimes it very much seems like a "who can spend the most money" contest. It is very refreshing that a lot of it still comes down to "DNA and Balls" (balls = fortitude, dedication, consistency, etc).

We see the same thing in triathlons that other sports see all the time ... there is a very small group of people that understand each other. That small group spends more time trying to break itself into smaller, more isolated groups, rather than enjoy the commonality of the large group.

Every group has its factions, it's old-schoolers, it's anti-tech groups, it's buy the latest equip groups, etc ... but let's not forget just how many people in the world understand us ... not many.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sometimes I buy things to make me "feel" better. if that golly/gee/whiz component makes me happy enough to get out and train a little more, then it actually may psychologically improve my ability to physiologically improve. After all, getting out the door is half the battle and having the mental state to grab the door handle is half of the initial battle. we all beat to a different drum and while I agree that the lastest 1 piece carbon bar will not make you fast in a direct comparison, however, if that neato carbon bar made me "happy" enough to train more then I am faster as a direct result of that new bar.
Quote Reply
Proof it's all a fashion show . . .[cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is from the airointernational.com site under the "Carbon Bits and Pieces" heading:

Carbon Fiber Chainrings
Reduces rotating weight. Beautifully CNC machined. Shimano or Campagnolo. Not as durable as aluminium alloy but very cool looking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"There's nothing wrong with spending $$$$$$ for all the latest keeno stuff. But realize that this is a fashion statement more than it is for performance."

Very interesting.
Quote Reply
Dude! What have I been saying since I joined the Board? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-It's not how fast you are, It's how fast you look.
Quote Reply
Re: Dude! What have I been saying since I joined the Board? [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
-It's not how fast you are, It's how fast you look.

Do you think that in the end of a race they should publish a list of the competitors ranked in terms of their cool factor? With your shaved arse it seems like you may win some soponsors and perhaps be ranked as an elite.

Do you set your goals for the race season on the basis of "how cool I was last year", and "how cool do I plan to be for the next season"?

Do you have a PB (i.e. the coolest you have ever been in a race)?

Do you buy new gear hoping that you might be able to break your most cool record?

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Dude! What have I been saying since I joined the Board? [Pluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya know your idea might not be that bad. Here is my reason. Lets say you have no speed but lots of fashion sense. Why not a pose off at the award cermony. Might be funny and a great chance to oggle at tri-babes.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Dude! What have I been saying since I joined the Board? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Ya know your idea might not be that bad.

I know, I think it is a bloody excellent idea. If race organisers are going to go this way I think I am going to have a really good chance to get qualified for Hawaii.

Hawaii will become the host for the International Poseurs Championships. In some ways Slowtwtich has already started this trend – If you look at the Kona surveys you can have an idea of what is more or less cool and what are the fashion trends like Cannondale and Trek are out, Cervelo in, which frames are more sexy and so on. Unfortunately, no statistics is available regarding lycra, spandex, waxing, which haricuts and so on.

In your case, Mr Tibbs, you will be using second hand equipment. This can be extremely cool, might even start a new retro wave.

Pluto

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Dude! What have I been saying since I joined the Board? [Pluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Mr. Tibbs is going to ride an old red, white, and blue road bike celebrating the 84 Olympics ... then I'm wearing tube socks. I haven't decided if I should go with the reb/blue striped or gree/yellow striped either ... either way tube socks rock. I might even wear em with boat shoes for extra retro.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Dude! What have I been saying since I joined the Board? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"and a great chance to oggle at Tri-Babes."

EXACTLY!

I'm not saying that you shouldn't train and race hard, but once you've done that, what have you got left?. Just try and look really cool while you're doing it.
Quote Reply
Re: Dude! What have I been saying since I joined the Board? [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If Mr. Tibbs is going to ride an old red, white, and blue road bike celebrating the 84 Olympics ... then I'm wearing tube socks. I haven't decided if I should go with the reb/blue striped or gree/yellow striped either ... either way tube socks rock. I might even wear em with boat shoes for extra retro.
Tube socks rock. I need to get a pair to wear for training. Because you never race with new equipment.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Re: Dude! What have I been saying since I joined the Board? [Styk33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to quit my job and freelance as a fashion consultant for triathletes.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply