Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Let's Talk Fueling & Training with WFPB, LCHF, IF
Quote | Reply
I really appreciated a couple of the posters in the "School Me on IF" thread and am interested in a discussion in which folks can share their personal routines and preferred products related to fueling our bodies for longer training efforts and on race days.

I thought about simply posting this to that thread, but it's not specific to IF. Also that thread sort of turned into a protestants vs. catholics sort of thing.

I was particularly interested in hearing more on this topic from "IntenseOne" who posted about their experience in fat-adapted training and racing.

I used to religiously consume Gu packets on long run days and on marathons but still occasionally found myself bonking on longer efforts. Then I spent just over a decade getting fat and injured and sick and fat and injured, etc. I followed a strict ketogenic diet along with daily spin workouts to shed 35 pounds over a couple of months, which got me to the point I could start to (slowly) run without fear of injury. With this success, I continued in ketosis and added 16:8 Intermittent Fasting to my routine during the work week (M-F). This helped me shed another 30 pounds and returned me to the weight and body shape haven't had since college. Also, I've discovered that I feel fantastic when I train/race in a fasted state. Admittedly, the maximum effort time I've put in while fasted thus far is 2.5 hours.

Due to reservations about the long term health effects of consuming as much meat and fat as I was, I've transitioned away from LCHF, for the most part. I'm a fan of David Sinclair's work, and also listen to the Rich Roll podcast when he/his guest aren't getting too woo-woo with the TM stuff. I share this to give a sense of my influences on the topics of nutrition, longevity, fitness.

This is my current feeding and training "schedule" (the sequence changes from week to week as far as Feast/Feed days):
1 Day/Week Feeding: 6 hour feeding window. I will consume meat on this day, but only from a high quality locally sourced producer
5 Days/Week Fasting: Whole Food Plant Based meal(s) on either a 18:6 Fasting:Feeding schedule or a OMAD dinner only schedule (depends on activity level)
1 Day/Week Feasting: I eat and drink all of the things.

I'm currently putting in just 60 - 180 minute sessions of training each day. This is typically 6 days per week, but there are weeks that I have 2 rest days (like after a longer run day).

I've been maintaining my current body weight for the past 4 weeks, and plan to do so going forward.

As my fitness levels continue to improve and I plan to increase my training I'm starting to experiment with how long I can go in a fasted state without consequences. I've learned that if I don't attend carefully to my electrolyte intake, I feel horrible (very similar to "keto flu") about an hour after a longer run/ride. I'm wanting to explore mid-run and mid-ride fueling possibilities for athletes who are fat-adapted.
Last edited by: OlyHawkfan: May 21, 20 8:03
Quote Reply