Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Less expensive bike tires - Canada?
Quote | Reply
So I haven't bought tires in about 6 years, been going through what I had laying about in my (much) reduced riding since... Last year some Pro Race 3s actually exploded in the garage after I installed them, turns out they were pretty brittle in the side walls, who knew? lol

Anyway, getting the bikes ready for Spring, anyone have a source for reasonably priced tires in Canada? Not looking for top-of-the-line, just good, durable tires for training rides, etc. One of the bikes will likely be sold. I might (not likely) buy one set of higher-end tires for the race wheels...

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Less expensive bike tires - Canada? [snoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best place to buy bike tires in Canada is the UK.

(A play on the old line "The best place to go for nightlife in Ottawa is Montreal.")

See:
probikekit.com
wiggle.com
chainreactionbikes.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use https://www.biketiresdirect.com
I stopped using the UK sites a year ago. They'll soon be fucked because of Brexit anyways.
Ciclo Mattio out of Italy is great.

Retail markup is brutal on tires. $90 for a tire I can get online for $50? Uhh... no.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Conti and Schwalbe from bike24.com in Germany.

Normally it's 20 euros for shipping but I buy 6-8 tires at a time and keep some on hand.
Quote Reply
Re: Less expensive bike tires - Canada? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
I stopped using the UK sites a year ago. They'll soon be fucked because of Brexit anyways.

Retail markup is brutal on tires. $90 for a tire I can get online for $50? Uhh... no.

Thanks!

I used to buy Hutchison tires from Nashbar for like $14.99 on special, when the CDN $$ was stronger it made sense, I also had inlaws that would drive them home from FL so I'd save shipping... For $45USD, I'm better off getting the Conti GP4000s II at MEC for $55CDN on sale... was hoping to find something around the $30 price point, especially for the bike that I'll be selling...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ebay. Some items are in Canada and most US sellers ship there for not much more than what they charge to ship to US. It's cheaper for me (MN) to ship to Canada than many parts of the US.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given the weak CAD and the current MEC sale, I'd say that's your best bet. We just replenished our stocks.
Quote Reply
Re: Less expensive bike tires - Canada? [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
Given the weak CAD and the current MEC sale, I'd say that's your best bet. We just replenished our stocks.

Me too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uh oh, I've still got some Pro3s mounted and 3 or 4 more in the bin...

The British sites listed above have all provided great prices in the past, but I've stopped using probikekit.com.
Quote Reply
Re: Less expensive bike tires - Canada? [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to say it will happen to all Pro 3s by any stretch, but mine just blew up in the garage the day after I installed them... I checked the 2 I have in the basement on other wheels and all are showing signs of sidewall cracking or splitting... Very happy it wasn't a blowout 50 km from home!

On a quest for new tires, going to buy a set of the Contis tomorrow and see how it goes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some bike shops have a pile of "take offs" that they sell for cheap. Though sometimes OEM tires use lower quality rubber.

CRC has been pretty reliable for me with quick shipping...if they have stuff in stock. PBK had a good price on tires, but they took ~3 weeks to come in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go with Chain Reaction. Used them for several years now without any issues. If you select regular shipping, you can normally avoid the duty also which is a win. Cdn $ Pricing also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
snoots wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Thanks!

I used to buy Hutchison tires from Nashbar for like $14.99 on special, when the CDN $$ was stronger it made sense, I also had inlaws that would drive them home from FL so I'd save shipping... For $45USD, I'm better off getting the Conti GP4000s II at MEC for $55CDN on sale... was hoping to find something around the $30 price point, especially for the bike that I'll be selling...
I just bought a pair of GP4000S II for about $35USD apiece through Wiggle, last week. But browse Bike Parts -> Tires to find them. Using their search came up with some that were priced higher for some reason.
Quote Reply