Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lemond drops bomb on Landis hearing
Quote | Reply
This is getting very strange, below is from cyclingnews.com
By Mark Zalewski in Malibu
The continuation of the Floyd Landis arbitration took a turn into the surreal Wednesday afternoon when Greg Lemond, the first American to ever win the Tour de France, took the stand as a witness for the USADA. While the questions started out cursory regarding his involement with Mr. Landis, USADA's lawyer Mr. Dunn moved the questioning into the territory of the exchanges between Mr. Landis and Mr. Lemond following Lemond's public comments for Mr. Landis to come clean following the 2006 Tour.
In those conversations Mr. Lemond admitted to Landis a very personal story in what he said was "to encourage him to help the sport and to help himself." That story, which Lemond divulged publicly for the first time today, was that he was sexually abused as a child before he began cycling. "I shared it with him to show him what keeping a secret would do," said Lemond.
The reason why this story was brought into the testimony is because of events that seem to have transpired last night while Lemond was preparing to testify today. As he was returning to his hotel with his wife he said he received a phone call from a man claiming to be his uncle. Mr. Lemond said the caller said many things including, "I am your uncle and if you want me to finish this... We can talk about how we used to hide your weenie."
The USADA lawyer linked this to earlier statements made by Mr. Landis on an internet message board in which Mr. Landis implied that this story, which Mr. Lemond told him in private, would be divulged as apparent retribution for Mr. Lemond's public "slander." On the message board in questions Mr. Landis had allegedly posted a message saying, "If he ever opens up his mouth again and the word Floyd comes out I will tell you all some things you wish you didn't know and I will have entered the race to the bottom and is now in progress."
Lemond said that he called the local police last night and filed a police report. When he called the number back the voice mail referred to the name, "Will." Lemond believed that it was possibly Will Geoghegan, a close friend of Mr. Landis that is always at his side during official events.
Upon investigation by the police, the number that was used to call Mr. Lemond was identified as that of Mr. Geoghegan, and he was asked to stand and identify himself in the hearing room. Mr. Geoghegan stood from his chair behind Landis.
The hearing continued with Howard Jacobs cross-examining Mr. Lemond, and beginning to ask him about his earlier law suit against Lance Armstrong. At this point the USADA side objected and Mr. Lemond said he would not answer any questions involving Mr. Armstrong under advice from his personal counsel present in the room.
To this Mr. Jacobs responded that this would go towards motivation for Mr. Lemond - and that if he would not be allowed to ask questions along this line that all of Mr. Lemond's testimony be stricken from the record. At this point the panel adjourned to confer about the disputed testimony.

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Lemond drops bomb on Landis hearing [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My word. Does anyone have ANY idea what the relevance of this, or anything Greg has to say, to whether or not Floyd used testosterone?

----------
"...it should be swim, bike, run, cage fight." - el fuser
"I noticed that I am in your sig line! Wow! That's s first for me. Thanks." - Fleck
Quote Reply
Re: Lemond drops bomb on Landis hearing [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh my!

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You just can't make this stuff up. I don't think anyone was expecting this?? And about the doping???

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't believe I just read it too. Is this a Monty Python skit?!?!?! What a circus this is turning into

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like Mr. Landis's chances just got a bit smaller to come out of this clean.

They should order "Will" to pee in a cup.

What a sharade....

Re: Lemond drops bomb on Landis hearing [bcreager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Circus. You are kidding right? :) High profile (TdF winner) legal case in a US court open to the public. I am just suprised we don't have web coverage with Paul Ligget and Bob Roll. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is sad to hear for so many reasons. I feel awful for Greg. It's incredible how much personal abuse he has faced for trying to talk openly about doping.

If this is true, I'm so glad that Landis has nearly bankrupted himself in his defense. Someone who would break that kind of confidence deserves no success in life and no sympathy.

-Marc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to go ahead and say "holy crap", because all the my goodness, my word, and oh mys are making this place sound like of forum for old ladies in a quilting bee.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: Lemond drops bomb on Landis hearing [tildenm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My word. Does anyone have ANY idea what the relevance of this, or anything Greg has to say, to whether or not Floyd used testosterone?

I'd say that it undermines, to at least some degree, the holier-than-WADA/USADA position that Landis' defense has adopted. OTOH, one would assume (or at least hope) the arbitrators are capable of not letting such theatrics unduly influence their ultimate decision, which should be based on the facts of the case.

So, does anybody know if it is a crime to tamper with a witness in an arbitration hearing? (I would assume not.)
Quote Reply
Re: Lemond drops bomb on Landis hearing [MarcK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I feel awful for Greg. It's incredible how much personal abuse he has faced for trying to talk openly about doping."
- - I think he deserves every bit of it. Like Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter, Greg Lemond had his day. Now it's time for him to STFD and STFU, because this is not about him and I guarantee he doesn't have one relevant word to offer as to Landis' guilt or innocence...

And yet he has somehow managed to thrust himself into the picture.

Go away Greg. You were a great cyclist who can't admit that it's over. THAT is what's sad.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Does anyone have ANY idea what the relevance of this, or anything Greg has to say, to whether or not Floyd used testosterone?"
- - Nope, and neither does Greg. Somehow he has taken it on himself to adjudicate the matter and he will advise the court on how they should proceed. If it weren't so disgusting, it would be sad. Does the man not know when to just go away?

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How stupid is Geoghegan?! Has that stupid f*ck never heard of caller id?!!!!!! They should throw his ass in jail for just being dumb.
Use a pay-phone next time, Einstein.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Last edited by: ShawnF: May 17, 07 14:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not one damn thing. My bet (and this is 100% pure speculation) is that FL's counsel objected to GL as a witness, but the panel permitted it as he has general insight into the world of cycling, albeit 20 years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Lemond drops bomb on Landis hearing [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering why Floyd's legal team is allowing him to hang out with a guy who'd be stupid enough to call and threaten a witness from his home phone.

In all seriousness, it wouldn't be hard for Floyd's team to say that Will did this (if he did it) out of some misguided attempt to help Floyd, and that neither Floyd nor his lawyers knew about it. Would that be convincing? I dunno, but the probative value of what has been reported as Greg's testimony is pretty low compared to how prejudicial it is against Floyd personally.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GL claims Floyd admitted to doping over the phone.........

http://velonews.com/news/fea/12271.0.html

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Lemond drops bomb on Landis hearing [Quo Vadimus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of Bob Rolls classic over-exuberant commentary would make a great addition to the proceedings....I'm not sure I want to know any of his "secrets" though.

Hell, the way things are going, the defense might call Roll and Merkx to the stand before its all over!

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, I can't wait to see this Law & Order episode...

Shawn

Quote Reply
Re: Lemond drops bomb on Landis hearing [Quo Vadimus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.floydlandis.com/case/

USADA v Floyd Landis
On-demand access to USADA v. Floyd Landis arbitration.
Made possible by Courtroom View Network and the Floyd Fairness Fund

Videos will be available following the conclusion of each day's proceedings.

Page: of 1
Displaying presentations 1 to 7 of 7

Presentation Title Status Air Date Length
USADA v Floyd Landis - 05/17/07 AM
Available 05/17/2007 3 Hours 43 Minutes 57 Seconds
USADA v Floyd Landis - 05/16/07 PM
Available 05/16/2007 3 Hours 34 Minutes 21 Seconds
USADA v Floyd Landis - 05/16/07 AM
Available 05/16/2007 3 Hours 16 Minutes 3 Seconds
USADA v Floyd Landis - 05/15/07 PM
Available 05/15/2007 5 Hours 6 Minutes 23 Seconds
USADA v Floyd Landis - 05/15/07 AM
Available 05/15/2007 1 Hour 55 Minutes 41 Seconds
USADA v Floyd Landis - 05/14/07 PM
Available 05/14/2007 3 Hours 23 Minutes 17 Seconds
USADA v Floyd Landis - 05/14/07 AM
Available 05/14/2007 3 Hours 15 Minutes 57 Seconds
Quote Reply
Re: Lemond drops bomb on Landis hearing [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I want to know is how did the french lab have access to Geoghegan's cell phone...
Quote Reply
Re: Lemond drops bomb on Landis hearing [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, I can't wait to see this Law & Order episode...

It's too crazy, they'd have to tone it down

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Re: Lemond drops bomb on Landis hearing [Bill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fantastic...we are half way there! :)

Quote Reply
Re: Lemond drops bomb on Landis hearing [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe the female lab technician who tesitified yesterday seduced Will in the hotel bar last night to gain access to his cell phone. Then she paid some homeless person to act like Uncle Ron. It's possisble ; )

Shawn

Quote Reply
Re: Lemond drops bomb on Landis hearing [MarcK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This is sad to hear for so many reasons. I feel awful for Greg. It's incredible how much personal abuse he has faced for trying to talk openly about doping.

-Marc
Oh, bullshit. What does admitting alleged abuse have to with talking about doping???? The abuse he has taken has been well deserved and it has nothing to do with this.

De-tri-mental- If they can prove that Will's call was known by any of Landis' team then it should have a negative affect, if not it shouldn't. Come on, nobody has had a loyal friend do something stupid to try and help them?

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply

Prev Next