Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Leg Length Discrepency
Quote | Reply
Does anyone out there know where I can get a pedal shim for my above mentioned problem. Preferably thru someone I can send my details to. Cos I'm living on the other side of the planet. thanks a million

Eug, Singapore
Quote Reply
Re: Leg Length Discrepency [elly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elly,

My wife has the same problem. Used to get one sore knee (shorter leg) until we found "Big Meat Wedges". She has had no problems since, uses 4 together to change her foot angle. They could also be used to increase height without using them to change the angle of the foot (alternate them).

We bought them from the internet - can't remember the site. Try a search....

Kind of expensive for little bits of plastic - but they did the job.

DaveH
Quote Reply
Re: Leg Length Discrepency [DaveH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big Meat was developed by Paul Swift, now with LeMond Fitness. Try them.

However, I think, if the problem is a simple leg length discrepancy, a better solution is two different size cranks, rather than a wedge, which will make your legs the "same" on the down position, but force the short leg even higher on the up which could be bad on the knees.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Leg Length Discrepency [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I never thought about that. but its so hard to get length of different cranks...you know what I mean?

I actually raced to Ironmans with this biomechanical problem, and never realised it until IM OZ...hahaha
Quote Reply
Re: Leg Length Discrepency [elly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know for sure that your leg discrepancy is actually caused by shorter bones in one leg? If so, which bone or bones? If your femur is short, than a shorter crank would be better suggested. But if your lower leg is the problem, a lift would probably be more ideal.

Or... is the discrepancy caused my muscles (with discrepancies of 1/2" or less, this is most often the case)? Example: If your Psoas (low back)muscle is tight on one side, this causes the hip to tilt up and makes one leg appear shorter than the other. Other muscles will cause a "miss-alignment" of similar situations. Lengthening out the muscles will do more to keep you "injury-free" than a lift, because it keeps your entire body aligned.

Knowing the answers to these questions will make a big difference in either doing the right thing, or possibly making your situation worse.

A good website to check out in respect to this is the Julstro site (sports injury site). They do a good job of explaining what goes on with triathlete's bodies. www.julstro.com
Quote Reply