Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Learning to climb.
Quote | Reply
I'm starting to train for my first hilly HIM in Panama City Panama. I'm assuming Lake Stevens HIM isnt considered hilly? If it is, I won't worry!
****forgot to mention that this course is a mofo and I already did Lake Stevens last year****
After loading in my course on the Computrainer, I realized that there are several 10 to 15% climbs. So here are my questions.

1). Is it ok to stay in areo for 10+ % grades? I'm training for a specific power output. So does this mean that it is ok to use the "other" chain ring up front?
1a) cadence... What do I do when I run out of gear on my 12/28 and have uber low cad?

2). Do I plan on ALWAYS staying at a constant power? Or for the nasty stuff do I want a higher temp out put?

3). Is there going to be much cross benefit for my A races, Antwerp flat and IMFL really flat?

4). How does " climbing" on the CT compare to the real thing? Do I need to get the climber attachment?

Ps ankle is golden. Going to hold off on running till I get the MRI in 8 days!

http://www.researchms.org/trifest/
Last edited by: 1fastbeaver: Dec 7, 11 14:30
Quote Reply
Re: Learning to climb. [1fastbeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would ride as many hills as you can get in your area, or joint a fast group ride that will really push you hard.
Cheers and happy climbing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try these tips:
http://www.cptips.com/climb.htm

The only way to learn to climb.. is to climb.. I try to hit a hill route (I try to hold to a 1000' of gain over each 10/15 miles of the course. Being in NW/NJ, we only have a limited number of real climbs) at least once a week during "in season" training and maybe a couple times a week during "base-off season" training.. I also do hill repeats..

Articles I've read show there is little aero advantage lost while coming off you bars on grades 8% or higher,as you tend to slow naturally as a result of the grade.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only way to learn how to climb is NOT to climb. Climbing itself can help sort out the details, but mostly you need to be aerobically fit with a high threshold, and as light as you can be. You also need appropriate gears on your bike. There is not a whole lot of difference between climbing hard and riding hard that makes the specific training very different.

I will put the flatness of my former home up against any pancake. Despite this perceived shortcoming I was able to excel at A du H level climbs with zero "climbing specific fitness"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to hijack your thread, but are you going off the bike course map on the Lake Stevens HIM website? There's a rumor about a one loop course, but the map on the website is a 2 loop course. Have you heard anything about the 1 loop course? I'm sure it will have many of the same hills, of course.
Quote Reply
Re: Learning to climb. [ericcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2011 was going to be the first year of the one loop. After a sink hole, it reverted to the two loop course. It was a fun, but I really wanted to do the one loop. If things get fixed, I'd imagine that 2012 will be one!

http://www.researchms.org/trifest/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, cool, thanks. I'm signed up for 2012. I'd prefer one loop. And, since I live relatively close to the course I plan to be doing some training on the route to gauge the hills myself.
Quote Reply
Re: Learning to climb. [ericcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
second what dave luscan said. its all power to weight ratio. which is why i obsess over my weight before a hilly event. Just head into the mountains and do a few really big days back to back climbing big mountain passes and those punchy hills in lake stevens will just be a bump in the road.

Call of Duty
Quote Reply