Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
LeBron's cramps
Quote | Reply
Interesting to watch the mainstream sports media debate LeBron's cramping issue last night. They all seem to be sticking to the traditional thinking about cramps, blaming it on the heat in the arena (as opposed to The Heat) and some level of dehydration. But I know a lot of more recent research on this issue discounts the role of dehydration in cramping, to the point where many believe there is no connection at all (fwiw, I subscribe to this thinking). So if that's the case, does anybody have any speculation on what other reason there may be for why he cramped up last night? Was it just that he was playing with a higher level of intensity than he normally would have, it being the Finals and all? Could the heat have contributed in other ways not related to dehydration?
Quote Reply
Re: LeBron's cramps [Sluglas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure what his reason might be (could be a million different things, honestly), but if you check @EnduranceCult on Twitter, they did have a funny picture about it. :)

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd suspect he was playing at the level of intensity he is used to playing at...it's just that a level that high, under hotter conditions, is probably too high for him...thus cramps. Really no different than if a triathlete tried to race at the same intensity in 60 degree weather with 40% humidity as they would in 85 degree weather with 80% humidity.

Also keep in mind that LeBron is a big dude. 6'8" and 250ish pounds of muscle. So he likely suffers the same ill effects that bigger guys deal with in triathlon as well.
Last edited by: Jason N: Jun 6, 14 12:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The mainstream sports media also do not think steroids have any big effect on athletes.
These guys are interested in rating, not facts and science.

But it can be good entertainment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe he drank too much Coke before the game?
Quote Reply
Re: LeBron's cramps [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But why is that? If its not dehydration or loss of electrolyte, why does the same level of intensity in a hotter environment lead to cramps?

Its not that I don't think hotter conditions impact performance, but are cramps really one of the impacts? And if so, what is the mechanism?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Occam's razor. Why would you discount the heat in the arena? He has played 1000's of games, this one no different except for the heat in the arena. I do not understand why so many just put their heads in the sand and ignore the obvious. Of course other things cause cramps, but of all the things that do, it seems apparent to anyone paying attention, that it happens more often in hot conditions. From there it is no great leap to figure out what happens to the body in hotter conditions.

It is very simple, but like global warming, just gonna be deniers no matter what the evidence and observations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sluglas wrote:
But why is that? If its not dehydration or loss of electrolyte, why does the same level of intensity in a hotter environment lead to cramps?

Its not that I don't think hotter conditions impact performance, but are cramps really one of the impacts? And if so, what is the mechanism?

My guess is the same level of intensity in a hotter environment isn't actually the same intensity, it's much higher and Lebron must have not been endurance to compete at the same level with a more challenging environment.
Quote Reply
Re: LeBron's cramps [Medieval Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My guess is the same level of intensity in a hotter environment isn't actually the same intensity, it's much higher

This makes sense to me, thanks. And he may have been hit with it while others weren't because he's (1) genetically predisposed and (2) may have been playing harder than them in the situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sheesh, this topic took much longer to appear on this board than I thought it would
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clearly, the king needs salt tabs!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: LeBron's cramps [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:

The new Gatorade commercials should quit bothering showing Paul George, Bryce Harper, etc...and just show LeBron being carried to the bench due to cramps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

The new Gatorade commercials should quit bothering showing Paul George, Bryce Harper, etc...and just show LeBron being carried to the bench due to cramps.

I heard on the radio this morning that Gatorade was tweeting during the game that LBJ wasn't drinking G but powerade......as if
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think i saw a tweet from gatorade on the news that said something like, sorry for his cramps, our athletes had no problems at all!! Apparently there was a falling out or non starter contract with gatorade awhile back, low blow..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He over biked!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Dwayne Wade should of given LeBron one of his blue Endura Cool Towels!

Wade is a spokesman for Endura Cool Towels and I did not see ANY on the Heat bench!

LJ sure could of used one or several last night! He looked half dead sitting on the bench!

Hook Em' Horns
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sluglas wrote:

A lot of your body's energy goes to cooling itself under hot conditions. This makes the same movement speeds even more intense when performed in a heated environment. Lebron is also very massive. He is probably tougher to cool than skinnier guys. The extra effort and intensity somehow impacts cramping. I've definitely see cramping as an intensity issue vis-a-vis a certain muscle group along with nutritional and training factors. In other words, yes, Lebron probably could have eaten and drank better before and during the game. He also would have benefited from training in 90+ heat (had he known that would be the conditions he was going to play in).
Quote Reply
Re: LeBron's cramps [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And for a long time the trainers used the Occam's Razor approach to explain this: Cramps in heat, must be the sweating, loss of salt, dehydration. When really, its just extra effort to do the same thing under hotter conditions that is causing it. This actually makes a lot of sense not just for basketball but for what we do as well.

Interestingly, it shows the opposite of what many of his critics are saying today. He isn't soft, he was actually playing harder than everybody else.
Quote Reply
Re: LeBron's cramps [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: LeBron's cramps [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I think i saw a tweet from gatorade on the news that said something like, sorry for his cramps, our athletes had no problems at all!! Apparently there was a falling out or non starter contract with gatorade awhile back, low blow..

It's not really a falling out when Lebron is a spokesperson for Powerade (hence the coke comment above is technically is right since they own them).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sluglas wrote:
.......So if that's the case, does anybody have any speculation on what other reason there may be for why he cramped up last night? Was it just that he was playing with a higher level of intensity than he normally would have, it being the Finals and all? Could the heat have contributed in other ways not related to dehydration?

He failed to consult ST on dealing with playing in warmer than normal conditions..... No speculation required.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I've got nothing bad to say about Lebron. A guy that plays so hard that his legs cramp up and simply stop? I'll take that guy on my team. I'm going for San Antonio this series, but I would gladly straight up trade any San Antonio player for Lebron.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>And for a long time the trainers used the Occam's Razor approach to explain this: Cramps in heat, must be the sweating, loss of salt, dehydration. When really, its just extra effort to do the same thing under hotter conditions that is causing it. This >actually makes a lot of sense not just for basketball but for what we do as well.

That's too simple of an explanation for me. Basketball players go hard. As hard as they can. NBA finals. Their bodies don't have "extra effort" to exert when it gets hotter. What happens when it gets hotter is they slow down. Just like triathletes slow down when it gets hot.
Quote Reply

Prev Next