Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lauf True Grit
Quote | Reply
I saw just this week that Lauf is now selling direct to consumer. That now puts a bike like the True Grit directly in the running for my do everything bike against the Exploro and Aspero.

It has features that really appeal to me. The ease of cabling, threaded BB and of course, suspension. They also come with a fairly wide ID wheelset.

Any thoughts on the True Grit as an 80% road bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Lauf True Grit [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve ridden a Grit fork. It does a really good job of soaking up vibration. It won’t absorb washboard-type hits though. Also, if you ride/corner somewhat aggressively you will notice the lack of lateral stiffness in the fork.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you’re riding 80% road, then why not consider the Lauf Anywhere? It has a standard (“Just A Fork”) and it’s a great bike. I got one in March and love how it feels both on and off road. The long wheelbase soaks up road chatter and small bumps nicely.
Quote Reply
Re: Lauf True Grit [vccross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vccross wrote:
If you’re riding 80% road, then why not consider the Lauf Anywhere? It has a standard (“Just A Fork”) and it’s a great bike. I got one in March and love how it feels both on and off road. The long wheelbase soaks up road chatter and small bumps nicely.

I'd say the Anywhere makes more sense as an 80% road bike. How do you like bar? Does it really smooth things out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Lauf Smoothie bar felt good on the tops and in the drops but I didn’t like how it angled out the shifters. So I went back to my Zipp Contour bars. The relatively long wheelbase, in combination with some 38mm graveling SKs running tubeless at low pressure are, IMO, primarily responsible for keeping the ride smooth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
going back to this old thread as i have been thinking of updating my gravel/all road bike and the new Lauf Seigla is one of those i looked at.

Anyone have a true grit or Seigla?

Whatever i get will be used for everything i do when i don't want to ride my aggressively set up road bike.

- gravel paths
- crappy roads i won't ride on my road bike
- recovery rides on the road (once a week i like to noodle around on the roads on my cross bike rather than ride on my road bike - just a nice change to have the comfort).
- riding on roads in winter

Next year i plan to retire or at least work part time - and do some long distance gravel rides so having a bit of extra comfort front and rear from the fork and whatever Lauf have done to the seat stays has some appeal. I've never ridden a bike and wished it passed on more of the bumps and vibrations.

My cross bike is old and cheap ($800 new) with canti brakes. it's ok to ride for an hour but not something i want to ride all day. i could make it better - but there is a limit to how much i want to keep investing knowing it isn't a long term solution.

in an ideal world i would try a mid-range revolt or topstone - but so hard to find in stock bikes these days. According to their site website Lauf have stock.

so if anyone has a Lauf - do you recommend them?
Quote Reply
Re: Lauf True Grit [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have several friends who have the True Grit and rave about it. When I was shopping for a gravel bike, it was on my short list but I opted in favor of a bike with clearance for larger tires (Open U.P.). Now that the Seigle has addressed that issue, it would be at the top of my list if I were buying a gravel bike today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife got a "Lauf Anywhere" earlier this year. Great bike for the price. Hers came with the Force eTap XLPR with dual sided Quarq. It was hard to find any other bikes in stock at any price, so we were happy to find this one so cheap. The rest of the components (wheels, bars, seatpost, saddle, etc) are all pretty nice. We didn't replace anything but the tires and rim tape (the stock tape on the eThirteen carbon wheels is terrible). I've read about people having issues with the alloy eThirteen wheels that come on the lower level bikes. I do wish the stock bars were a little more narrow, but that's very minor feedback. The bike was almost completely put together upon arrival. I had to bolt on the handlebar, insert the seatpost, and put a wheel on. That was about it. Brakes were completely adjusted. Derailleurs were completely adjusted. Really easy.

One of the tires had a hole in it when the bike arrived. I reached out to the Support team on their website and somebody dropped a replacement tire in the mail that same day and i had it a few days later. I was impressed.

The Anywhere just has a regular rigid fork.

If i had to replace my 3T with something that isn't a 3T, the Seigla would be one of my top choices right now. My friend Mat Stephens has one and he's been raving about it. My other friend Kae either just got one or will have it very soon. Both are sponsored riders for Lauf, so i expect them to rave about it, but the stats don't lie. That tire clearance and geometry look really promising.
Quote Reply
Re: Lauf True Grit [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is great feedback Rob and Cholla. Some recommendations from top level riders.

Will have to think about whether the weekend warrior with Rival AXS and alu wheels or the Race - with Force and carbon wheels is the best fit. Will probably be the latter but if i had a completely free choice would prefer a 42T crank that the Rival bike has ..but realistically am not going to be spinning out a 40/10 and wanting to go faster very often on the rides i will use this for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
going back to this old thread as i have been thinking of updating my gravel/all road bike and the new Lauf Seigla is one of those i looked at.

Anyone have a true grit or Seigla?

Whatever i get will be used for everything i do when i don't want to ride my aggressively set up road bike.

- gravel paths
- crappy roads i won't ride on my road bike
- recovery rides on the road (once a week i like to noodle around on the roads on my cross bike rather than ride on my road bike - just a nice change to have the comfort).
- riding on roads in winter

Next year i plan to retire or at least work part time - and do some long distance gravel rides so having a bit of extra comfort front and rear from the fork and whatever Lauf have done to the seat stays has some appeal. I've never ridden a bike and wished it passed on more of the bumps and vibrations.

My cross bike is old and cheap ($800 new) with canti brakes. it's ok to ride for an hour but not something i want to ride all day. i could make it better - but there is a limit to how much i want to keep investing knowing it isn't a long term solution.

in an ideal world i would try a mid-range revolt or topstone - but so hard to find in stock bikes these days. According to their site website Lauf have stock.

so if anyone has a Lauf - do you recommend them?

I just came across the Lauf Seigla in my search for a new gravel bike. It definitely checks a lot of boxes at a great price value. It’s at the top of my list at the moment.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply