Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Latex tubes with tribike transport
Quote | Reply
I am going to use tribike transport for st George 70.3. 1st time using the service. My race wheels have latex tubes. I have to drop off my bike 1 week before the event at lbs. With latex losing so much air and them transporting and transferring, has anyone had issues with flat tires on arrival? Also have a flo disc( aluminum/carbon)and they require full carbon discs in a separate bag. Anyone leave one of these on the bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes with tribike transport [transgress4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the new Silca tubes with aluminum valves and they hold air very well. I shipped my bike from FL to IMAZ and the tires still had pressure in them after 10 days.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
transgress4 wrote:
I am going to use tribike transport for st George 70.3. 1st time using the service. My race wheels have latex tubes. I have to drop off my bike 1 week before the event at lbs. With latex losing so much air and them transporting and transferring, has anyone had issues with flat tires on arrival? Also have a flo disc( aluminum/carbon)and they require full carbon discs in a separate bag. Anyone leave one of these on the bike?

If it flats, you just pump it back up. What is the issue?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used them multiple times and used both a disc and latex tubes. You need to place the disc in a wheel bag and they usually charge $25 for the extra wheel. When you go to pick up you bike they always have pump available.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes with tribike transport [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
transgress4 wrote:

^ This.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can understand the overall anxiety around latex, flatting, pinching, etc...so, likely your tubes will be a little flat after a week in transport. I'd suggest pumping them up a little bit, stop to check if there are any pinched areas (not that it'll be obvious), then starting pumping again. If they pop, then at least it wasn't during the race. I've just sent my bike and won't see if for 2 weeks, will likely be pretty flat, but I'll just aim to pump them up slowly.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes with tribike transport [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
transgress4 wrote:

but carefully

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In all the times I've used tbt (10+) I've always been running latex and never had an issue. Sure they will be flat, so you pump them up on arrival like you would anyway. You arent going to ride latex without having to air them up every day. No disc on the bike, put it in a wheel bag and pay the $25. I'm not sure if they use the rims to strap bikes down, but it would more than likely suffer some damage in transit if you left it on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used them several times and have latex tubes... no issues.

I also have a disc wheel.. I put a non disc wheel on the rear and ship the disc in a wheel bag per their instructions. It came in handy once when a RD decided the event was too windy for discs... I races with the wheel I had shipped the bike with.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes with tribike transport [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri@thlete wrote:
I can understand the overall anxiety around latex...
Really? I can't.

The amount of drama and anxiety that some people seem to make over latex tubes is nuts!
I've literally never had a problem with my latex tubes. Sure, they lose air a little quicker so I add a bit more before rides, but so what? Virtually irrelevant.

Your tyre will deflate somewhat as it does whenever you're not pumping it back up again. When you get there if it's completely flat, have a look and make sure nothing's moved during manhandling. Otherwise, so long as there's a little pressure left, top it off and away you go.

They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes with tribike transport [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:

They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin.

That quote is so good, I've adopted it as my signature. Your royalty fee of Fourteen Thousand One Hundred Six Indonesian Rupiah (Rp 14,106), less a $1 processing fee, has already been deposited to your main checking account account.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Apr 23, 19 10:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
transgress4 wrote:
I am going to use tribike transport for st George 70.3. 1With latex losing so much air and them transporting and transferring, has anyone had issues with flat tires on arrival?

If I had to guess...…..there will be pumps at St George you could use to fix this little problem
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your worried about tyres being flat and not providing a cushion for the rim during handling - don’t ... :-)

Sure they will be ‘flat’ after a week in the sense that you can’t ride them, but they won’t be ‘flat’. They will still be round and they will still keep your rims off the floor when moving the bike around, but they won’t have enough pressure to take the weight of a human on them. They seem to initially drop pressure quickly (when it’s high) but then the pressure drop tails off rapidly - which seems logical to me.

My experience is with challenge and Michelin latex.

WD :-)
Quote Reply