Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Latex tube repair (at valve patch)
Quote | Reply
Had a few Vittoria's (have been laying around a year or so) - was going to install and one failed at the valve patch... started looking at the adhesive had started to lift on all of them.

What's everyone's go to fix for that? (the black section glued onto the pink latex tube)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tube repair (at valve patch) [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Profanity. Which I normally try to avoid, but latex tubes will ALWAYS fail at the seams eventually. I had a fairly new one fail just this week and swore off latex again forever. I'm so sick of latex construction failure I just gave in and decided no more.

You can try and patch it, but remember what I said about profanity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't try to fix the valve bit. I can't say that you won't find a fruitful method of repair, just failures in that bit are so damn insidious that it's not worth the risk for me.

I agree with the other poster about inconsistent latex tube build quality. My use of them has gotten very limited. TT race wheels that I use too infrequently for tubeless to make sense, or outdoor track use.

Silca tubes, so far, have treated me very well. Zero manufacturing issues experienced so far.

I went through a really bad patch with some other brands. (And I like to think I'm masterclass at installation, including making sure I have neutral pressure on the valve stem to take it easy on the valve patch).
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tube repair (at valve patch) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does silca still use the larger rubber patch? Vitoria made theirs smaller and I've had these failures since then. None before they made that change...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, in this case not install error (as they are all still in the box except the first one I opened) I've been running latex over a decade at this point

It's not the end of the world, but I certainly would prefer to not just throw away $75 worth of Latex tubes if I can re-bond the patch.

Quote Reply
Re: Latex tube repair (at valve patch) [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, the Silca patch is small. But, so far, durable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
What's everyone's go to fix for that? (the black section glued onto the pink latex tube)

Weird that I've never had that issue! Tubes never used? The black part is coming unglued from the latex at the outer edge? Seems like rubber cement should work...
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tube repair (at valve patch) [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my case, it wasn't visible. Installed a new tube, leaked down over night. Took it out, dipped it under water, and sure enough there was a tiny leak at the patch.

I wonder why they made the patch smaller. That amount of rubber costs less than a penny but made the durability noticeably worse. There was an old thread on here before on this topic. Seems more than several people are having this problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Morelock wrote:

Weird that I've never had that issue! Tubes never used? The black part is coming unglued from the latex at the outer edge? Seems like rubber cement should work...

Never have either... I've had some pierce eventually near the valve but never just one start lifting up from the latex. Now a bunch all doing it. I'll pick up some rubber cement tomorrow and see if that does it

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can use the vulcanizing glue from a traditional patch kit.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tube repair (at valve patch) [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried this approach after a TON of frustration. (profanity)

Finally decided it was time. Happened fast. Almost beyond my control. Didn't seem to work very well.

Purchasing new tubes and running them in more flat-proof tires (Conti Gators) in training so that I have fewer reinstalls from low/no pressures. We also run high enough tire pressure (>90psi) that with each daily inflation and reattachment of the pump head, there is less of a stretch on those valve rubber patches than if we were running wider tires at <70psi.

When we used to get flats more often while running GP 4000's and 5000's for all training, I'd also end up with more of these rubber valve patch failures, presumably because the stretching of the material with each pump head attachment. Totally guessing here. Hasn't been an issue for us since we started running more flat-resistant tires in training.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Morelock wrote:

Rubber cement worked a treat, just took up the whole rubber section, cleaned and re-glued it to the latex.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This leak at the valve thing is a bugger. At OH dark thirty pumping up my tires at CDA (half asleep), with a borrowed pump, I pushed the head harder than I would have with my pump, and that tube was done for. Not a low stress time. I raced to the on site mechanics and they swapped out a conventional tube in no time flat (BIG THANKS). I can't remember if it was a Bontrager or Vittoria tube.

I've tried repairs in that area with no success, however, repairs elsewhere have generally been quite durable.

Live long and prosper (I mean latex tubes!)

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool,,, thanks for the info...
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tube repair (at valve patch) [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
I pushed the head harder than I would have with my pump, and that tube was done for.

In my early latex days, I realized that the base of the valve needs to be seated well against the inside of the rim for the first few pump strokes. If not then the tube will balloon to fill that space, and get stretched and weak... and possibly pop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does that work when you're just topping up? Let all the air out first? I don't have enough stem sticking out to hold on to while I push the head on
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tube repair (at valve patch) [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What sort of pump head and valve?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The type you push on and then swivel a lever. Topeak Joe Blow something.

I do have a travel Lezyne pump which screws on. Honestly what might be the best type for Latex, because it doesn't require any amount of pushing
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tube repair (at valve patch) [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

Purchasing new tubes and running them in more flat-proof tires (Conti Gators) in training so that I have fewer reinstalls from low/no pressures. We also run high enough tire pressure (>90psi) that with each daily inflation and reattachment of the pump head, there is less of a stretch on those valve rubber patches than if we were running wider tires at <70psi.

I'm curious why you aren't using butyl tubes then. They cost less, you can air them up less frequently, and you won't have to worry about the rubber patches at the valve. If you're running Gators, rolling resistance and supple feel don't seem high up on your priority list.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tube repair (at valve patch) [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

I'm curious why you aren't using butyl tubes then. They cost less, you can air them up less frequently, and you won't have to worry about the rubber patches at the valve. If you're running Gators, rolling resistance and supple feel don't seem high up on your priority list.

Why we use Gators and latex for training: Butyl tubes wouldn't solve any of our flat issues. Most our flats come from debris on the side of the road. Can't count the number of tire gashes we've had on GP 4000's & 5000's. Love their feel, and rode them for 3 yrs before finally deciding to take the 20W RR hit by moving to the Gators. Most of all, I was tired of driving out mid workday to pick up my wife who was stranded with a blown out tire and tube.

Why I brought up Gators in this discussion:
Mostly it was an ironic unintentional fix to that rubber-latex junction problem for us. It is definitely not the best solution if one's only problem is leaks at the rubber-latex junction! ha!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
rob_bell wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

Why we use Gators and latex for training: Butyl tubes wouldn't solve any of our flat issues. Most our flats come from debris on the side of the road. Can't count the number of tire gashes we've had on GP 4000's & 5000's. Love their feel, and rode them for 3 yrs before finally deciding to take the 20W RR hit by moving to the Gators. Most of all, I was tired of driving out mid workday to pick up my wife who was stranded with a blown out tire and tube.

Why I brought up Gators in this discussion:
Mostly it was an ironic unintentional fix to that rubber-latex junction problem for us. It is definitely not the best solution if one's only problem is leaks at the rubber-latex junction! ha!

Off topic, but if you want to get most of the speed back you could think about GP5000 TL. They have much better protected sidewalls than the non-TL GP5000 (which doesn't have the most sturdy sidewalls). They might be harder to install and change a tube in, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tube repair (at valve patch) [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great point. Have considered going tubeless for a while, but would require some new wheels in our lineup. For now, latex is the way. I do look forward to the day we make the jump to tubeless for road.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Great point. Have considered going tubeless for a while, but would require some new wheels in our lineup

You don't have to go tubeless to run the tubeless version of those tires. Just run 'em with the latex tubes and you get the GP tire with extra sidewall protection that it sounds like you want!

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tube repair (at valve patch) [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great point. Why I didn't think of that... not sure!

Any knowledge of how the sidewall and tread protection compares to the Gators? Goal: make darn sure Michelle doesn't need to be picked up 50 miles from the house during rush hour. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's absolutely not Gatorskin level, not even close. You just don't get that without making the tire ride like a brick. Frankly, though, I haven't ever seen the need for Gatorskin-level protection other than in the wet season... and I ride on the same roads as ya'all do!

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next