Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Late summer/early fall midwest 70.3
Quote | Reply
I am in Chicago and looking to do my first 70.3 toward the end of next summer (mid-August to end of September). I would prefer a race without a wetsuit but that may not be an option given the time of year. I am not tied to doing an IM branded event. Am I missing any options?

So far I have found:
Michigan Titanium
IM 70.3 Traverse City
IM Santa Cruz (my family is in San Jose)
Quote Reply
Re: Late summer/early fall midwest 70.3 [MBaier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MBaier wrote:
I am in Chicago and looking to do my first 70.3 toward the end of next summer (mid-August to end of September). I would prefer a race without a wetsuit but that may not be an option given the time of year. I am not tied to doing an IM branded event. Am I missing any options?

So far I have found:
Michigan Titanium
IM 70.3 Traverse City
IM Santa Cruz (my family is in San Jose)

Superiorman in Duluth MN late August is a great event. Plan on COLD water though. You are likely to die a painful death if you attempt it w/o wetsuit. Duluth and the north shore is a wonderful and unique place. Square Lake in Stillwater MN early Sept is another great race. It is tiny and local but I love it. Stillwater is also a dope spot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you consider the Barrelman Triathlon? It was just this past weekend in Welland/Niagara Falls, ON. See thread on front page now or go here for more information - http://niagarafallstriathlon.com/

Over 250 Americans came north of the border to race. 1000 participants in total make it the largest non-IM brand 1/2-iron distance race in North America.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You easily could have swam TC this year without a wetsuit. Just bring warm clothes for the morning. The swim start is a bit of a walk from transition and with the cooler 40-50 air temps in the am, it would be a cold morning in just a trisuit. I swam many miles wetsuit free in the days before the race and was never cold.

It’s a terrific race and beautiful venue. If it’s the race you choose, be prepared to register as soon as you can. AWA and 2019 racers/volunteers opened today with tri clubs on Thursday. Once it goes to general registration, it will likely sell out fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Late summer/early fall midwest 70.3 [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathLou 70.3 in Litchfield, IL in early September. I haven't done this one yet, but it's about 45 minutes from me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found this spreadsheet of non-WTC halfs by Ryan Waddington in another thread that is quite helpful and contains the info I was looking for. https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ent;postatt_id=16785[/url]
Quote Reply
Re: Late summer/early fall midwest 70.3 [triguy1984] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy1984 wrote:
TriathLou 70.3 in Litchfield, IL in early September. I haven't done this one yet, but it's about 45 minutes from me.
Has anyone out there done TriathLou? That is an intriguing option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM Muncie in July, don’t think it’s been wetsuit legal for awhile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about Route 66 half, usually last Saturday in July? Springfield, IL. Historically, non-wetsuit.

https://triharderpromotions.com/route-66-half-iron/
Last edited by: abrowntd: Sep 24, 19 13:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced Triathlou in Litchfield in 2018. IMO if it was my first 70.3 I would choose a different race - the course itself is extremely boring (and I am from flat Florida). I honestly only did this race as it was a perfect timing for a tune-up before IMLOU and also was in St. Louis for work quite (and continue to be).

It was an ok race management wise - not enough aid stations, the course was 2 loops across the board. Small field overall.

It is a bit of a drive (or flight) - but Lake Logan 70.3 is the first week in August and an absolutely stunning race. This is just west of Asheville, NC. The swim is in lake - as far as I know has always been wetsuit legal, bike has some climbing to it (without looking at my past data I want to say near 3000ft of gain), and the run is a slight up hill out and slight down hill back for 2 loops. Plenty of aid stations. It is not a WTC style event by any means with the big production, but quite honestly the post race food is better than the pizza they typically give out, and the background is awesome.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply