Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Late changes to Ironman NZ
Quote | Reply
Just been announced via facebook (not email to competitors...) that:-
The 70.3 that they are running is now going first so that they get a clear course so as to make it fair for Worlds qualification (on the course in December). Ironman race therefore starting an hour later at 8am.
Also awards dinner (afterparty) now a lunchtime function.

So this means that the full distance won't get to swim at dawn - or get to face the traditional haka lakeside.
Will get to spend more time riding into the headwind that gets stronger as the day goes on most days.
The pros will get to fight with the BOP 70.3 swimmers.
The pros will get to fight with the MOP 70.3 cyclists.
Will need to go sub 11-11:30 to avoid having to carry a glowstick
If it's wet the BOP will be out in the cold/ dark another hour
Will be harder to keep awake for the now 1am finish.

Note that this is 4 weeks out, and only today have they for the first time said what the on course nutrition is - clif bars, but no mention of any gels...

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that there's some shortselling scam going on here attempting to obliterate the event for future.

Note to mods - please feel free to move this post to cry like a biatch thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Late changes to Ironman NZ [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But now the FOP 70.3 athletes won’t need to swim over BOP IM athletes.

Now FOP/MOP 70.3 athletes won’t be battling BOP IM athletes.

Assuming a 3-4:1 ratio of IM/70.3 athletes (as previous years) it doesn’t take a genius (or mathematical model) to work out the new way will lead to a sum of less speed disparities on the course. Fact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do your friends call you negative Duncan?

Or ND for short?

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Late changes to Ironman NZ [johovishta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johovishta wrote:
But now the FOP 70.3 athletes won’t need to swim over BOP IM athletes.

Now FOP/MOP 70.3 athletes won’t be battling BOP IM athletes.

Assuming a 3-4:1 ratio of IM/70.3 athletes (as previous years) it doesn’t take a genius (or mathematical model) to work out the new way will lead to a sum of less speed disparities on the course. Fact.

350 70.3 finishers last year vs 1300 IMNZ

But of course there is the actual 70.3 they ran in december for umm, well the 70.3 people. I'm thinking the easier way to avoid that disparity on course is not to run a 70.3 on the same day as the full when you already have a date / specific race for the 70.3.
Last edited by: Duncan74: Feb 4, 20 23:02
Quote Reply
Re: Late changes to Ironman NZ [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Do your friends call you negative Duncan?

Or ND for short?

Normally 'black hat' or just 'c$%t'. And of course by 'Friends' I'm extrapolating that a bit......
Quote Reply
Re: Late changes to Ironman NZ [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70.3 got an email this morning.

The race start times etc are exactly what they did for cairns when I did the Ironman there and it was good. There would be much more chaos starting the half after with all of the bop Ironman athletes. Some of them would just be getting to far turn around or just past when 70.3 was going to start. 70.3 is now rolling start also. No idea what time pros start the Ironman but they will be having to go pretty fast to catch bop 70.3 swimmers...
Last edited by: fulla: Feb 4, 20 23:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
Just been announced via facebook (not email to competitors...) that:-
The 70.3 that they are running is now going first so that they get a clear course so as to make it fair for Worlds qualification (on the course in December). Ironman race therefore starting an hour later at 8am.
Also awards dinner (afterparty) now a lunchtime function.

So this means that the full distance won't get to swim at dawn - or get to face the traditional haka lakeside.
Will get to spend more time riding into the headwind that gets stronger as the day goes on most days.
The pros will get to fight with the BOP 70.3 swimmers.
The pros will get to fight with the MOP 70.3 cyclists.
Will need to go sub 11-11:30 to avoid having to carry a glowstick
If it's wet the BOP will be out in the cold/ dark another hour
Will be harder to keep awake for the now 1am finish.

Note that this is 4 weeks out, and only today have they for the first time said what the on course nutrition is - clif bars, but no mention of any gels...

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that there's some shortselling scam going on here attempting to obliterate the event for future.

Note to mods - please feel free to move this post to cry like a biatch thread.

Why are they starting so late? IMWA starts with a 70.3 at about 5:30 in the morning (probably before daylight for Taupo) and then the 140.6 starts at 0700. Even then you don't get mixed up with the 70.3 athletes on a 2 loop bike course. I imagine you could start the 70.3 in Taupo at 0600 and keep the 140.6 at 0700....
Quote Reply
Re: Late changes to Ironman NZ [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:

Why are they starting so late? IMWA starts with a 70.3 at about 5:30 in the morning (probably before daylight for Taupo) and then the 140.6 starts at 0700. Even then you don't get mixed up with the 70.3 athletes on a 2 loop bike course. I imagine you could start the 70.3 in Taupo at 0600 and keep the 140.6 at 0700....

Can't start to 7am as it's not light until then. Part of the 'special' is the waka coming out the dark, laying down the challenge and then heading into the lake to start pretty much bang on first light.

Ok, as per the above, I suspect a good part of my pouting comes from removal of the pissup on the sunday and the real rsk this year if the weather is crap and I have a bad day I'll be finishing close to dusk and the glowsticks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Err no I meant what I wrote. The concurrent 70.3 has been going at least since 2018 (I did it) and there are results for 2017 as well on the IMsite although I don't recall this event.....

I imagine the concurrent 70.3 is a significant revenue spinner for the IMNZ event. 1300 is not a huge field so its probably important to have a concurrent 70.3 for financial reasons (and probably adds little to the cost)

The event couldn't start earlier due to daylight issues Taupo in March.

Another advantage this way for the Pros is that by the time they finish (~4pm) the 70.3 will be past cut-off so they will have the finish chute to themselves.
Pros are probably much better at navigating through traffic on the bike anyway.

And anyway at the end of the day if you are going >12 hours you are not racing the IM but are doing it. So if you are in it for the challenge so why all the b'arching ? Enjoy the extra sleep in :P
Quote Reply
Re: Late changes to Ironman NZ [johovishta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johovishta wrote:
Err no I meant what I wrote. The concurrent 70.3 has been going at least since 2018 (I did it) and there are results for 2017 as well on the IMsite although I don't recall this event.....

I imagine the concurrent 70.3 is a significant revenue spinner for the IMNZ event. 1300 is not a huge field so its probably important to have a concurrent 70.3 for financial reasons (and probably adds little to the cost)

Another advantage this way for the Pros is that by the time they finish (~4pm) the 70.3 will be past cut-off so they will have the finish chute to themselves.

And anyway at the end of the day if you are going >12 hours you are not racing the IM but are doing it. So if you are in it for the challenge so why all the b'arching ? Enjoy the extra sleep in :P

I editted as above as I had a brain fart. You're right, for some reason then I thought last year was the fist time - it wasn't was just my first time with the half as I'd been injured since 2015.

And ;-) - I'll take the last comment in the tongue in cheek spirit it's meant. Fair play, and as above then going well it won't be dark. Sure, I'm not going to podium, but it's not 12hrs now for dusk, it's 11 hours which puts a lot more people finishing in the dark.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tongue in cheek it was meant to be :D

Hope you have a great race and finish before dusk !!!
- J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
johovishta wrote:

I editted as above as I had a brain fart. You're right, for some reason then I thought last year was the fist time - it wasn't was just my first time with the half as I'd been injured since 2015.

And ;-) - I'll take the last comment in the tongue in cheek spirit it's meant. Fair play, and as above then going well it won't be dark. Sure, I'm not going to podium, but it's not 12hrs now for dusk, it's 11 hours which puts a lot more people finishing in the dark.

Looking online sunset is close to 8pm which gives you plenty of time to avoid the glow sticks...!!!!
I am keen to do IMNZ one of these days, have to say I would be a bit bummed by the 0800 start time as well (and I am a Kiwi), with the unpredictable weather and the potentially decent wind on the bike it makes a long day out feel even longer!
Have a great race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice to get a bit of sleep in though.

Chop Nutrition http://www.chopnutrition.com (UK only)
Quote Reply