Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Late October trip to Colorado. Biking recommendations
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Thanks in advance. My wife has a work trip to Aspen the last week in October and I think I will join her. I'm from Minnesota and would love to ride some mountains. The plan is to fly into Denver on a Thursday, then work our way to Aspen for her conference on Monday. I will then be in Aspen with not much to do while her conference is going on until Wednesday. I travel with my road bike frequently so I don't need advice on that front.

My questions relate to road biking in late October. I don't mind biking in the cold, down to about freezing, are the big mountains an option? I'd love to do Pike's Peak or Mt. Evans, and then whatever nice climbs there are around Aspen? Thoughts and ideas?

I understand the weather is always changing, but is it realistic to be biking at elevation the last week of October in Colorado?

Joe
Quote Reply
Re: Late October trip to Colorado. Biking recommendations [AboveGround] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of the big mountains like Evans and Pikes will be closed (usually close Labor Day weekend).

Could probably still do Copper Triangle, but it’s not exactly close to Aspen
Last edited by: Traphaus: Aug 24, 19 11:54
Quote Reply
Re: Late October trip to Colorado. Biking recommendations [AboveGround] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AboveGround wrote:
Hello,

Thanks in advance. My wife has a work trip to Aspen the last week in October and I think I will join her. I'm from Minnesota and would love to ride some mountains. The plan is to fly into Denver on a Thursday, then work our way to Aspen for her conference on Monday. I will then be in Aspen with not much to do while her conference is going on until Wednesday. I travel with my road bike frequently so I don't need advice on that front.

My questions relate to road biking in late October. I don't mind biking in the cold, down to about freezing, are the big mountains an option? I'd love to do Pike's Peak or Mt. Evans, and then whatever nice climbs there are around Aspen? Thoughts and ideas?

I understand the weather is always changing, but is it realistic to be biking at elevation the last week of October in Colorado?

Joe

It just seems that last week of October anywhere in the Northern Hemisphere above 30 degrees North above 6000 ft is going to be hit and miss with snow. Its just the way it is. Heck at IM Lake Tahoe at 6400 ft in the third week of September they have had snow. Last week of October is really pushing it. If you're talking Aspen you're up at 8000 ft. I'd plan for trail running or renting a mountain bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like several have replied, it will be hit or miss at that time of year. We've been skiing some years then ! Your question about biking at elevation at the end of October depends on how high you want to go. There are some rides out of southwest Denver that can take you up to about 9000 feet in a great loop. If you want to get above 10,000 ft, it will very much be weather dependent.

Check back in about 5 weeks, and we will know a bit better on what the weather is doing.

db
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's not closed for snow, you should definitely do Independence Pass, but that late in the year, you're likely to have missed the window. It's right there at Aspen, so you don't even have to drive to get to it. If you have the time and the energy, go up and over and down to Twin Lakes. It's a beautiful ride, and ascending/descending from both sides is will give you a completely different ride each way.

Edited to add: I just checked the CDOT website and it says Independence Pass usually closes on around November 7, so you should be good to go on that one. Go early; it can get trafficky.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Last edited by: Danno: Aug 24, 19 18:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vail Pass is pretty open and may be ridable at that time of the year. If you spend some time around the Boulder/Denver area I would try the rides up to Brainard Lake or at least up to the peak-to-peak highway. Getting all the way up to the lake may be dicey, but you climb from 5000 to about 11000, so you can go as high as the weather allows (assuming the road up to the lake is open).

Aspen is at 8000, but Glenwood Springs is 45 mile away and only at 5700 and there are some OK rides around there. It is much more arid around Glenwood, so that should be good unless it is snowing everywhere.

Probably the coolest ride would be to go down to Grand Junction and ride the Colorado National Monument, That is really cool and winter doesn't set in down there as early. Bring bike lights because they are required in the tunnels.
Quote Reply
Re: Late October trip to Colorado. Biking recommendations [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone for the info. I think I need to plan for some smaller mountains and keep an eye on the weather. Maybe start in Denver and do some stuff to the west. I also like the idea of doing Grand Masa if Aspen is bad. Looks like about a 2 hour drive and I'll have nothing else to do, so the drive won't be too bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AboveGround wrote:
I also like the idea of doing Grand Masa if Aspen is bad.

I think the previous poster said Colorado National Monument, which is a very pleasant experience, and not Grand Mesa đŸ™ƒ which is prone to weird weather and being cold AF with a summit over 10,000 feet. Check the weather in Mesa or Delta (but most people climb from the north, so Mesa) and then expect a 30 degree drop to the top.
Quote Reply
Re: Late October trip to Colorado. Biking recommendations [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm checking back in because it's the week of. We arrive on Friday and are staying in Broomfield. Saturday I'm going to try biking up to or near brainerd lake. Then we will drive across the state and hopefully bike Colorado National monument on Sunday. Both of those rides are based on the advice of slowtwitchers, so thanks. I'll be in Aspen Monday and Tuesday, but it's not looking like the weather will cooperate. Thoughts from the experts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AboveGround wrote:
I'm checking back in because it's the week of. We arrive on Friday and are staying in Broomfield. Saturday I'm going to try biking up to or near brainerd lake. Then we will drive across the state and hopefully bike Colorado National monument on Sunday. Both of those rides are based on the advice of slowtwitchers, so thanks. I'll be in Aspen Monday and Tuesday, but it's not looking like the weather will cooperate. Thoughts from the experts?

Snow rolling in tomorrow evening... may be a fair amount at altitude west of Denver and definitely south near CSprings. Friday not looking too warm, so IF it happens, good luck road riding near Brainerd. Sat in Denver area looks great, but again it depends on how much snow happens and how clear roads get higher up. Not sure about Aspen, but all the mountain towns are now going to be hit or miss. You may have to rent a fat bike somewhere :)

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
66 and sunny on sat and 32 snow on Sunday in boulder. Rain/ snow tomorrow night.
Last edited by: B.McMaster: Oct 22, 19 16:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there - I live in Basalt and work in Aspen. We've been getting snow, so you may be out of luck. If you can handle the chilly temps and have the gear, best bet IMO is to ride Maroon Bells as it doesn't go all that high and the views are classic. Take Main street west out of town, past the round-about, to Maroon Creek road and follow that up til you reach the Bells. Snap selfie, ride down, get beer at Hops Culture. Or as others have mentioned, Independence Pass is open until mid-November, but that goes up to 12,095 feet so bring your puffy jacket this time of year.

Note: If you want a cheese burger, best in town is at Ajax Tavern. It's called the 'dub'; skip the salad and upgrade to the truffle fries.

Have fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Late October trip to Colorado. Biking recommendations [JackArbor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I think biking in Aspen is out. What would you recommend for outdoor activities for my wife and I? What hikes are good this time of year? We're very active and are up for adventure and will be there Sunday afternoon through Wednesday morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Howdy and welcome! Despite shoulder season weather I hope you have an amazing trip!

https://forecast.weather.gov/...2971248#.XbCBVpNKjOQ
That's the pinpoint forecast for Brainard. While it's chilly that's not the main concern... i'd pay close attention to the wind. It says "breezy" which around here can sometimes mean hurricane gusts... especially up on Peak to Peak highway (how you get to Brainard). I could be completely wrong but yesterday was forecast at 6-8mph and when i went riding in the evening flags were ripping of their poles (hyperbole).
Also fairly accurate: https://www.wunderground.com/...erland/39.97,-105.49

Have fun at CO National Monument. I'd like to ride that someday.

I'd opt for hiking/running in aspen. Maroon Bells, Ashcroft, Independence Pass.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Late October trip to Colorado. Biking recommendations [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hell, the wind in Denver this AM was a cause for concern. Blew my hat off during my run. hah.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wanted to update everyone who gave me advice. I avoided everything in and around the Boulder area and we headed west. I was able to do Grand Mesa from the North on Sunday afternoon. It was an awesome uphill ride. Bottom was 67 degrees and top was in the mid 30's with some snow. Only met one guy who said there was ice on the road. It got me worried, but I didn't see much. Glad my wife picked me up or the ride down would have been brutal. I figured 5500 feet, 21 miles, and 2.5 hours was enough for the day. Altitude wasn't too bad, but I definitely lost power above 8000 feet.

On Sunday I did Colorado National Monument and it was simply amazing. Went in from the Grand Junction side and it was warm on the way up and cold on the way down. I highly recommend this ride. Take your time and enjoy the views. Seriously, you CO folks are blessed.

The next three days will involve no biking here in Aspen, but the last two have made bringing my bike well worth the $150 Southwest charges. Thanks again for all your recommendations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you could get some riding in. It was another Colorado Front Range weather weekend: Saturday in the high 60 - low 70's and Sunday Snow !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you got somewhat lucky on weather. It was 76 on Saturday and sat at the New Belgium brewery enjoying a beverage or three until about 5pm. About 5 inches of snow Sunday and expecting more snow and wind on Tuesday. Maybe it will be above freezing by Thursday.

I am not ready for winter.
Quote Reply