Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Late 2020 Ironman as a possible 2021 KQ for M25-29
Quote | Reply
Hey all,
I'm debating on which late season Ironman I should do. Kona 2021 is a goal of mine so I'd like to at least make a first attempt late in the 2020 season.
My most important A race for 2020 will be Eagleman, The goal is to top 10 AG overall. Not interested in 70.3 WC that year. Mid season break, as I didn't take one last year, and got pretty burned out by the end of September.

I live in Virginia, so IM MD would be an obvious choice, but might be a little too early to be best prepared. So I'm thinking Loisville, Florida, or Arizona.
I see that last year Florida had 2 slots for my AG, but worried about conditions at this race. Arizona seems a little more safe in that regard.

Thoughts?

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Late 2020 Ironman as a possible 2021 KQ for M25-29 [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do Maryland or Louisville. Florida & Arizona are much more likely to have ringers show up to get their early KQ in as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Late 2020 Ironman as a possible 2021 KQ for M25-29 [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, you're right about that. Winner at MD was 9:13 on a pancake flat course. I'd have to do sub 9 at the other 2
The coach Cox site said there were a lot of DNFs on the run. I wonder why.

https://www.coachcox.co.uk/...-kona-qualification/

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Re: Late 2020 Ironman as a possible 2021 KQ for M25-29 [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prob because MD is known as an easy course so lots of fringe finishers go to that race. If the weather ends up being tough at all then those people might be hosed. My guess anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought Louisville would be the perfect race for a late season KQ attempt or even just a late season IM. Because of the unpredictability of the Ohio River there, I don’t think that anymore. Now, if you have a terrible swim, then it is perfect. The weather ended up being great this yr after a cold start but last yr it was freezing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you an AWA athlete? Louisville had something like 20 extra slots for those that were AWA this year. Not sure if that will apply again.

Plus, same weekend as Kona, so nobody that was in Kona would have been there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Willing to travel? Western Australia had 4 slots in your AG this year. 65 slots total, not a massive race and looks like very few women race it.
Last edited by: mgreer: Dec 6, 19 12:25
Quote Reply
Re: Late 2020 Ironman as a possible 2021 KQ for M25-29 [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
Are you an AWA athlete? Louisville had something like 20 extra slots for those that were AWA this year. Not sure if that will apply again.

Plus, same weekend as Kona, so nobody that was in Kona would have been there.

I just looked up what AWA is, and I think I am? My ranking shows 916 overall

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Re: Late 2020 Ironman as a possible 2021 KQ for M25-29 [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
Willing to travel? Western Australia had 4 slots in your AG this year. 65 slots total, not a massive race and looks like very few women race it.

Way too expensive for me to do 2 years in a row. Hell I was hoping I didn't have to pony up the entry fee so soon but it's going to sell out if I don't act soon. And I didn't have a great race at Nice last year. The travel was super stressful solo

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
Hey all,
I'm debating on which late season Ironman I should do. Kona 2021 is a goal of mine so I'd like to at least make a first attempt late in the 2020 season.
My most important A race for 2020 will be Eagleman, The goal is to top 10 AG overall. Not interested in 70.3 WC that year. Mid season break, as I didn't take one last year, and got pretty burned out by the end of September.

I live in Virginia, so IM MD would be an obvious choice, but might be a little too early to be best prepared. So I'm thinking Loisville, Florida, or Arizona.
I see that last year Florida had 2 slots for my AG, but worried about conditions at this race. Arizona seems a little more safe in that regard.

Thoughts?

I would choose a race that suits your strengths.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see above you mention not having the money to go to Australia, but not sure if one of the China 70.3's would be an option, may be something to consider. Before saying NO, I would look at flight costs, they might surprise you.......

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are your strengths and weaknesses. If you are good in the heat Choo has been hot the last few years.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chattanooga if you can endure the heat.

A little earlier than you want but the race favors the folks that race smart.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude who won this age group at Arizona ran an 8:42...probably time to go pro!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Late 2020 Ironman as a possible 2021 KQ for M25-29 [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea 0_0
I mean I have a sub 9 goal for a flat course but realistically don't think it's personally attainable until 2021. But hey "Proceed as if success is inevitable"

IM MD seems like the one to do, it's 2hrs away, pancake flat. I'm just worried about the time table for that one. (And side note I won't be able to defend my win at Waterman's half. 😆)

Strengths- I'm a strong cyclist usually. My power started disappearing late last season, but not too worried once I crank up the volume again I should be fine.
Obviously prefer cooler weather but handle heat pretty well.
My swimming is just getting better and better (last 70.3 was 1:25/100 wetsuit). Crushed that time in the pool recently at 1:20/100.
Running is just OK imo. Eagleman I was running a perfect 2/3 run at 6:30 feeling fantastic, then suddenly nearly literally shit myself and lost time.

Just how hilly is Chattanooga?

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike is pretty fast from what I understand.

The run is not fun.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Late 2020 Ironman as a possible 2021 KQ for M25-29 [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Dude who won this age group at Arizona ran an 8:42...probably time to go pro!

with that time on that day he would have been 20 minutes behind the top 6, probably.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
Yea 0_0
I mean I have a sub 9 goal for a flat course but realistically don't think it's personally attainable until 2021. But hey "Proceed as if success is inevitable"

IM MD seems like the one to do, it's 2hrs away, pancake flat. I'm just worried about the time table for that one. (And side note I won't be able to defend my win at Waterman's half. 😆)

Strengths- I'm a strong cyclist usually. My power started disappearing late last season, but not too worried once I crank up the volume again I should be fine.
Obviously prefer cooler weather but handle heat pretty well.
My swimming is just getting better and better (last 70.3 was 1:25/100 wetsuit). Crushed that time in the pool recently at 1:20/100.
Running is just OK imo. Eagleman I was running a perfect 2/3 run at 6:30 feeling fantastic, then suddenly nearly literally shit myself and lost time.

Just how hilly is Chattanooga?

The run importance is dramatically magnified when you "step up" to the Ironman distance. ST and people in general love to make the bike the most important but in reality the run is what determines your ability to place or not. The swim and bike just set up the run.

All that being said, I would recommend that you pick a race that fits your strengths and weaknesses and not your pre supposed timeline. Signing up for Louisville 2020 would give you 8+ months of focused work including a legit off season.
Quote Reply