Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Last minute speed work...yes or no?
Quote | Reply
I have a half iron in 6 weeks. My training is not where I would like for lots of reasons and I am ok with that. This will not be a the best ever but I would still like to do the best I can based on what time I have left. My run base is ok but I would like to up the pace if possible.

Is it simply to late or if not what should I do for workouts and how many times per week?
Quote Reply
Re: Last minute speed work...yes or no? [yikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't risk it, whats your running history look like? If you don't have much of a base I would just continue to run as much as you can in these next 6 weeks, at the end of the day more volume would probably help you out more.

When your legs get tired, run with your heart
http://tritofinishchris.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going fast means absolutely if you cannot finish the run without walking. So, when in doubt, increase your base.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Last minute speed work...yes or no? [chris-alfonso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My base is fine. I just have not done anything specific I am just wondering if iw ould see any benefit at this point or am too late ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forget speedwork and do run strength work instead.Hill reps,hill runs and increase your bike fitness to offset the lack of run fitness.You have less chance of hurting yourself doing that.

Speedwork is something that isn't really required for long corse racing for most as,contrary to popular belief,very few people actually run "fast".

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you've got 6 weeks, that means you've got about 4 weeks left for improvement of fitness and 2 weeks to not mess it up. 4 weeks is actually a lot of time.

What has your training been like, mileage? how fast have you been running? are you talking only about your running? do you have a history of injuries?

My general thought without answers to the above would be don't focus on "speed" necessarily, focus on half iron specific running:
1. Its never too late to add some threshold running; where threshold is somewhere slower than 10k pace and close to around your best 1 hour pace - start with maybe 6-10 minutes this week, then 2 x 6-8 min next week, then 3 x 6-8 or 2x10 min the following week and try a 20-30 minute threshold run where you work into it slowly the 4th week
2. strides never hurt - run 50-100 meters, starting slow, build up to a sprint and hold for about 5-7 seconds and then slow down again; turn around and repeat 4 to 6 times
3. Specificity should be your key - one or two days a week, try running the last half of your runs at half marathon pace(slightly slower than threshold)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
base is pretty specific to ironman.
if you are doing lots of miles at something similar to race pace, boom. done.

yikes wrote:
My base is fine. I just have not done anything specific I am just wondering if iw ould see any benefit at this point or am too late ?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Work on your bike fitness and do some longer intervals on the run.

Quote | Reply
yikes wrote:

You would see benefit with 6 weeks to go. But you should define what you mean by "fine".
Quote Reply