Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Last Rant Before I go...
Quote | Reply
I promised you guys that I would be gone for a bit... I do have this idle Sunday afternoon. I will ride after this, but I have a bit of food for thought:

In a flat TT, do we really need more than four gear ratios? I don't seem to remember that I ever used anything more than five, and it seems like I used four.

This is where I introduce the Bunnyman Institute Four Speed Block. This 106 gram beauty will give you every single gear needed for a flat TT. You can use a single chainring (with inner protection device) and further reduce the amount of weight on your flat TT bike. A small chainring will not really work too well on this block, anyhow (due to chainline issues); but if you want a small chainring, you don't want to use this set up, anyhow!

All that the Bunnyman Institute Four Speed Block consists of is: 1) Five spacers from any Shimano 8 speed cassette, 2) Four cogs from a cogset (I prefer 11-14, a straight shot), and 3) a Hyperglide lockring. Use a Shimano 8 or nine speed rear mech (limit screw in for the larger sprockets), a friction or indexed shifter, and you have one serious set up for the flat time trial enthusiast.

Bunnyman Institute Warning: This device is not intended for use on hilly areas, and definitely NOT for the mechanically or racing inexperienced. This device is also not for sale, and can be made using regular parts. Make modifications at your own risk, use at your own risk.
Quote Reply
Re: Last Rant Before I go... [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't that make it a frankenbike?

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: Last Rant Before I go... [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Last Rant Before I go... [TimeTrial.org] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am totally familiar with the product that you are showing...

Most of us are chronic upgraders and have a couple of old 8 speed blocks lying around...

I imagine I could do 6 if I wanted to, but four is enough for me...
Quote Reply
Re: Last Rant Before I go... [Yarf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have said that the Frankenbike is O.K., whether it be a alu/carbon mix or a bunch of old, obsolete, but not-quite used-up parts hung onto a frame...

This is the segue to what I am really up to in my garage: a no-frills, flat roads only TT bike that could prove very fast in it's execution. The four-cog cassette is just one of the details that this thing is going to have.

This thing I am making in the garage is going to be something that will be awe-inspiring in the means of operational simplicity, ingenuity, and a little bit of ugliness thrown in for good measure. The frame will be familiar enough, but what has been done to it will defy common sense and be only usable in a flat TT. No hills for this bike, and it is going to be almost silly in it's pursuit of aerodynamics.
Quote Reply