Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Larsen should be embarrassed.
Quote | Reply
Steve Larsen racing as an age-grouper is a joke. He even beat Peter Reid that day! Any so called X-Pro who just recently 'retired' should not be racing with the age groupers... especially when he takes away someone else spot (ie: dream) of racing in Hawaii.

Clearly the rules need changing as it's really the WTC who should not allow this; but Larsen should be embarrassed! Greats like Scott Tinley continued to race pro well after he was no longer competitive at the highest level. Karen Smyers does it still. They just want to have fun, give it a go and see how they do knowing they will most likely not win. Larsen Peter Reid by several minutes! As an "age-grouper"?

Larsen should be humiliated to claim a 'win' and even worse to have taken that Hawaii spot from a true age-group triathlete. Worse yet, taken that joy away from someone.
Quote Reply
Re: Larsen should be embarrassed. [Ryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You wont win any popularity contests here with words like that...but I for one agree 100%

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Larsen should be embarrassed. [record10carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you agree. Not looking to win a popular vote though. I just find it very odd that the race and WTC rules even allow such a thing and that a 'pro'... oh sorry... he's an age-grouper now... would even take that spot in Kona from someone.

And no, I'm not the age-grouper who lost the spot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would NEVER had happened had the race been USAT sanctioned but then again this is the WTC and company..... USAT has specific rules against such.

Ironjack
Quote Reply
Re: Larsen should be embarrassed. [record10carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally agree with you on this as well. He should have competed as a PRO. Even though he has retired by his time he is still more than capable of competing with the big guys. I would be embarrassed if I was him and when he is the top AGE GROUPER in Hawaii. How sad will that be. After he did that I lost a lot of respect for him as a racer.
Last edited by: Bman: Aug 4, 05 19:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I dont agree with you ... do you really think that retired pro's shouldnt be able to race as age groupers ... what should they do? quit the sport they love because they have decided that the pro life is not for them or because they want to focus their energy on something else? should we ban all former pro's from Hawaii?

And are you serious ... did you really just use Karen Smyers as an example of a pro who is still racing even though she is not competitive ... when is the last time you checked out her results? maybe she isnt a top 3 pro but she has certainlty proved this year that she is still a threat!

Get over yourself and go train for that kona slot you seem to desperately need!
Quote Reply
Re: Larsen should be embarrassed. [Bman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly~ He's obviously still very fit if he's beating Reid and almost DeBoom. So what, is he going to show up in Kona and be the World Champion 30-34. Talk about really stealing another's dream!
Quote Reply
Re: Larsen should be embarrassed. [ironjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race was a USAT race in fact- just to straighten that out. What is the big deal- the guy is no longer a pro... period. His training is not that of a pro and he is now in a full time job with a family to care for... at what point can he race as an AGer? Or are we saying he must always be a pro...

What about the AGers who are clearly way above the norm? should they be pro? NOthing to b embaresed about here- the only folks who shoud be embaressed are the 2 pros who posted such shitty times, and especially Reid for being beaten by an ex pro/ AGer who has trained little in the previous year

Weeman
Quote Reply
Re: Larsen should be embarrassed. [2fast4u] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2Fast4U.... I don't even do Ironman, so I'm not after anything. You even made my point! Karen is awesome and still does very well. You're right, she gets 3rd's or 4ths still. She's amazing! One of the all time great's and arguably the nicest person in the sport. That's my point though, she's giving it her best even though she's got more on her plate than just being a pro these days.

No, they should not have to just leave the sport. They should continue to race pro. What, his ego is so big he has to win. He would have been 2nd, between DeBoom and Reid. I'm guessing he's still a pro!
Quote Reply
Re: Larsen should be embarrassed. [weeman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good Point WeeMan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GO Steve GO.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's been a couple years since he raced professionally. He has followed the rules. What if he had never raced professionally? He would be a famously good age grouper. Everybody begins an age grouper somewhere and can choose to end an age grouper. Since most PROs are between ages 25 and 39 you could consider those age groups weakened compared to the 20-24 and 40-44 age groups. That means less competition than there otherwise would be. Think of it as if the top 5 percent of a certain AG is missing. Vanished. Some of them will resurface! So what? In my way of thinking, they belong in their AG. They always have and they always will, as long as they choose to be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There should be mandatory upgrades. Just like the USCF forces people to upgrade at a certain point, USAT should make people upgrade if they are obviously better than 90% of PROs. They could develop some point system like the USCF and when you reach a certain level, you are made a PRO whether you like it or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really can't think of another sport where you can be a pro and then when you retire from pro competition, you can race/compete as an amateur. It would be nice to see an ex pro category. I think it is hard enough to qualify for Kona and if we will then have to compete against ex pro's to qualify it will only get harder if not impossible. Think about if this sport keeps growing as it is and the amount of pros double or triple in size. Then they all decide to rage age grouper once they are done their pro career. I think any age grouper might be hard pressed to qualify then. Especially in the 35-39 age group.
I just think for the sake of the "professionalism" of the sport, once you are a pro and you step up to that plate, that is where you should stay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So when Steve is 60 he should still be a pro? should we say that any former pro that races faster than a x:xx should have to race as a pro? how stupid would it be if we had a bunch of 60 year olds racing against guys like Luke Bell because once upon a time they were fast pro's. it just doesnt make sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Larsen should be embarrassed. [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, you guys would complain just as much if he broke the rules.

Rules are rules in our sport. Either follow them, change them, or find another sport. Why put so much energy into bitching? Go out and train!!

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah would be cool to see a 50 year old cameron brown mixing it with the pros.
Quote Reply
Re: Larsen should be embarrassed. [2fast4u] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply] I dont agree with you ... do you really think that retired pro's shouldnt be able to race as age groupers ... what should they do? quit the sport they love because they have decided that the pro life is not for them or because they want to focus their energy on something else? should we ban all former pro's from Hawaii?
[/reply]

Why cant they continue to race as a pro, ya they wont be as competative, but once you go pro you should not be able to go back.

Come on. Ya Once you go pro you give up your Ameture or in this case AG status.

Think about this in any sport you like, if Pro's later in there carear could just go back to the ameture status its just becomes a joke.

Just for the record I wouldn't know Steve Larson from the Larson that writes the Sunday comic. Or for that matter from Mr. Tibbs.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Last edited by: DavHamm: Aug 4, 05 19:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Scott... The Man! Even at the age of what 45 plus he came back as a pro! Tinley still races Pro when he races. Paula Newby races Pro... rather well too!

If all Pro's do as Steve Larsen did then one day the future of our sport will read like this...

35-39 Age Group Devision:
1st Reid 2nd DeBoom 3rd Stadler
Quote Reply
Re: Larsen should be embarrassed. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Man, you guys would complain just as much if he broke the rules.

Rules are rules in our sport. Either follow them, change them, or find another sport. Why put so much energy into bitching? Go out and train!!

Dave[/reply]

First off, my post was hardly a bitch. And there is nothing wrong with discussing ways to improve the sport. I think a CAT system of some psort may be the way to go. I know roadies who are exstatic when they move up cats. It is almost like a job promotion.
I just think if you make the decision in your career to differentiate yourself from the age grouper, then you should stick to that decision. Maybe we wouldn't have so many fringe pros then?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone really needs to explain the problem to me.

Larsen is a human being, he is a male human being, and he is a certain age. Why is it that he has to be seperated from other male human beings of his age? Because he once called himself a professional and the others didn't - why is being a pro in the past some unfair advantage, especially in a sport like triathlon?? Or is the real reason because he is so damn good and the rest of you can't compete? You wouldn't catch me bellyaching if Molina or Scott toed it up in my age group - I'd try to beat their wrinkly asses. To the victor goes the spoils.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If all Pro's do as Steve Larsen did then one day the future of our sport will read like this...

35-39 Age Group Devision:
1st Reid 2nd DeBoom 3rd Stadler
If they are the fastest in that age range, the problem is......?
Quote Reply
Re: Larsen should be embarrassed. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, a lot of tension in here. First off, no other Pros were aloud to race in the pro field, it was only open to those to guys, which to me seems to be the problem. Those guys have the ability to race faster, but why? Tim, just has to beat Peter, then cruise. The last time 3 competitive fields there all went sub 3:56.
Also the rest of the age-groupers didn't go as fast as normal, so that made Steve's time look crazy fast. i can't remember the last time another age- grouper didn't go sub 4:15.
Steve can't help it, he is a great athlete who was used to putting in time to train as a pro, and now that he isn't probably expects not to be so dominant. I know for a fact that he trains less than 6 hours a week, and usually much less.

I don't much understand the whining about the spot either. Steve didn't take anyone elses spot. last time i checked they gave 2-3 spots in that age-group. So whoever got 3rd took your spot, not Steve. It is meant to be hard to qualify for a "World Championship", If whoever lost there spot had a better day, they could have beaten the athlete in front of them.

In the end, this is an individual sport, push yourself as hard as you can, have fun, and don't worry about what others are doing, they can worry about themselves.

-Matt Lieto
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
life isnt fair ... shit happens ... people do what they can to make themselves happy and sometimes that means pissing other people off ... maybe one day they will make a rule against it but until then looks like Steve will be making his way to Hawaii for years to come and im not going to think any less of him for it!
Quote Reply
Re: Larsen should be embarrassed. [justhavefun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"So whoever got 3rd took your spot, not Steve."

Actually - 5th place got a spot to Kona.
Quote Reply

Prev Next