Lap swim in Poughkeepsie
Quote | Reply
anyone know the best locations?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Lap swim in Poughkeepsie [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New paltz has coached masters practice 5-630 AM, open swim swim 630-8am and 11:15-145, and 9-10 PM. Additional hours on the weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live local, I swim at a small lousy gym pool across the river bc it's close to work. I don't have much first hand knowledge of other things (only lived here 1 year). I hear there's masters group at the culinary institute of America. Vassar and Marist colleges have pools, not sure if they have masters groups or any other way for outsiders to swim but I've seen pics on Strava that make me think there are ways to do it.

New Paltz has 2 outdoor pools (moriello, Ulster county pool), and so does Poughkeepsie at spratt park, weather dependent obv. Spratt park pool doesn't open til June 23 so says the internet, the ones across the river are probably similar.
Last edited by: PBT_2009: Mar 31, 19 11:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fish masters swims at Vassar college a couple times a week. Mike Artega's Heath and Fitness in Pough. and Highland, about 10 min away over the bridge, have 20 yard pools. Not much around since the ywca and ymca closed and am lap swim was discontinued at the middle school. Best bet is probably Fish masters if you don't want to go too far from Pough.

What are you doing in the area?

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Re: Lap swim in Poughkeepsie [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks everyone. masters is not an option here. this is for my wife, visiting relatives. avid lap swimmer.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marist, Vassar, and the Culinary might have day passes for lap swim, but I'd call first, they're really the only game in town unless it's summer and some of the local lakes are open. There's always the Hudson River. It's not as bad as people say and there are a few races there. Just watch out for barges and the crew teams.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moriello pool in New Paltz generally has several lanes set aside for lap swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Lap Swim in Poughkeepise" sounds like a song title; a good start to one anyway

The guitar player in this one band I was in had a girlfriend that was going to school up there, and he'd drag us up from Philly to play in this pizza joint right off the New York State Thruway

I'm not 100% sure it was in Poughkeepise or New Platz

Anyway, carry on

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry if I wasn't clear. If it's summer, a lot of the local lakes have swim teams and multi lane 25 yd lap swim areas and bulkheads. It's not just jump in the lake and swim with no lane lines and guess the distance.

Taconic Sport and Racquet in Hopewell Junction and Tymor Park in LaGrange have outdoor lap pools in summer. Freedom lake in LaGrange, Town of Beekman Rec., Town of Stanfordville, and Red Wing Park in Hopewell Junction, all have multi lane 25 yd lap swim areas in lakes. I think Millbrook too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Despite my handle, I'm a native upstater.

When I'm home, I usually swim at Bard College or Beacon High School -- both are a bit of a drive from Poughkeepsie but more reliable than the pools at CIA or Marist. Vassar never lets me in :side_eye:

In the warm months, you can actually lap swim in the lakes at Tymor and Freedom Park and there's an open water swim group at White Pond.

Enjoy (and PM if you have other HV questions).

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: Lap swim in Poughkeepsie [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Memory lane for me, too ... I spent a lot of hours in the Kresge pool at Vassar, and earned my Red Cross Lifesaving certification there, too. Unfortunately I don't think Toni can get away with using my long-outdated "blue ID." ;)
Quote Reply