Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lap feature in Zwift
Quote | Reply
I know that this topic has been brought up before, but any idea if Zwift is considering adding a simple 'lap' button? Jordan, are you listening?

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Quote Reply
Re: Lap feature in Zwift [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just gonna bump this. Been on Zwift since Jarvis and wanting it since then.
Quote Reply
Re: Lap feature in Zwift [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A specific lap button would be nice. The only place I have routinely seen the lap sign appear is on the volcano. It would be nice to have it in other places as well.

edited-it's also on the crit course, but usually I'm blind and delirious after a lap or two in crit city...
Last edited by: dtoce: Sep 7, 20 11:21
Quote Reply
Re: Lap feature in Zwift [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This has been requested for years in various places, especially in the zwift forums. Long story short, zwift doesn’t seem to actually care what the paying users want. However Minn seems to at least give a half assed attempt at gaslighting when he says features will be here soon or they are ready and then doesn’t deliver. This is how terms like Zoon and Zwiftly came about on the Zwift FB groups.
Quote Reply
Re: Lap feature in Zwift [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
This has been requested for years in various places, especially in the zwift forums. Long story short, zwift doesn’t seem to actually care what the paying users want. However Minn seems to at least give a half assed attempt at gaslighting when he says features will be here soon or they are ready and then doesn’t deliver. This is how terms like Zoon and Zwiftly came about on the Zwift FB groups.

Love it :)

Speaking as someone who has paid continuous for almost three years, this is just really shoddy customer support, and serious level of gaslighting...
Quote Reply
Re: Lap feature in Zwift [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do you need a lap button on zwift? I’m trying to think of scenarios where I would need one and I can’t think of any.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Lap feature in Zwift [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Why do you need a lap button on zwift? I’m trying to think of scenarios where I would need one and I can’t think of any.

Intervals

I use the lap button all the time, whether riding indoors or outdoors.
Quote Reply
Re: Lap feature in Zwift [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
stevej wrote:
Why do you need a lap button on zwift? I’m trying to think of scenarios where I would need one and I can’t think of any.

Intervals

I use the lap button all the time, whether riding indoors or outdoors.

Isn’t that what workout mode is for?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Lap feature in Zwift [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Came here to say the same thing.

Import custom workout, either turn ERG mode on or off, and voila. Not rocket surgery.

----------------------------------
Managing Editor, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Lap feature in Zwift [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
echappist wrote:
stevej wrote:
Why do you need a lap button on zwift? I’m trying to think of scenarios where I would need one and I can’t think of any.


Intervals

I use the lap button all the time, whether riding indoors or outdoors.


Isn’t that what workout mode is for?

Even in workout mode, one doesn't see how one is doing for that particular interval

Furthermore, workout mode in general stinks, as the trainer seeks to adjust difficulty even if I momentarily go 2-3% above target. In real life, this happens, and one reacts by throttling the effort just a tad for the next few seconds. On zwift, it's a constant changing of gear and cadence.

Much easier to do intervals on Free-rides
Quote Reply
Re: Lap feature in Zwift [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are plenty of features that have been requested forever, and seem easy enough to implement, but will apparently never happen. Another pet peeve of mine is the lack of running power being displayed when running with a Stryd footpod. Zwift gets the data from Stryd, and passes it through to Training Peaks and Strava when a WO is uploaded, so you would think it would be trivially simple to just show power on the screen the same way it's shown when cycling. For those that pace by power it would save the hassle of having to run a separate device to see power when running in Zwift.
Quote Reply
Re: Lap feature in Zwift [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just want a progress bar for each course to show how far I have left before I pick up the XPs. I don't like having to open the zwift hub website and approximate where I am compared to the end of the course. This is especially helpful for newbies and first-time course wanderers and those who may not know about the zwift hub website. It is done for events but not for open, free riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Lap feature in Zwift [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
stevej wrote:
echappist wrote:
stevej wrote:
Why do you need a lap button on zwift? I’m trying to think of scenarios where I would need one and I can’t think of any.


Intervals

I use the lap button all the time, whether riding indoors or outdoors.


Isn’t that what workout mode is for?

Even in workout mode, one doesn't see how one is doing for that particular interval

Furthermore, workout mode in general stinks, as the trainer seeks to adjust difficulty even if I momentarily go 2-3% above target. In real life, this happens, and one reacts by throttling the effort just a tad for the next few seconds. On zwift, it's a constant changing of gear and cadence.

Much easier to do intervals on Free-rides

So you want to see avg power and NP for a given interval? If so, then a lap button isn’t going fix that for you. Zwift will need add more data fields to the screen which runs the risk of cluttering up the screen. There’s also the graph in workout mode that shows a trend of the last 10 minutes that gives you a bit of insight though it’s not as objective as lap power specifics.

What you are explaining about the trainer constantly adjustIng difficulty to control to a setpoint is the primary function of erg mode and isn’t specific to zwift. Turn erg mode off and the trainer will just stay constant and you can adjust trainer tension manually. My biggest issue with workout mode is that you can’t “free ride” or ride the given terrain while doing a workout.

That all said, why not just use your bike computer for laps, intervals, workouts, etc in addition to running zwift? I’m guessing you have one for riding outside. This is what I do personally. I upload my Garmin file 99% of the time for analysis and don’t save the zwift file.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Lap feature in Zwift [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
echappist wrote:
stevej wrote:
echappist wrote:
stevej wrote:
Why do you need a lap button on zwift? I’m trying to think of scenarios where I would need one and I can’t think of any.


Intervals

I use the lap button all the time, whether riding indoors or outdoors.


Isn’t that what workout mode is for?


Even in workout mode, one doesn't see how one is doing for that particular interval

Furthermore, workout mode in general stinks, as the trainer seeks to adjust difficulty even if I momentarily go 2-3% above target. In real life, this happens, and one reacts by throttling the effort just a tad for the next few seconds. On zwift, it's a constant changing of gear and cadence.

Much easier to do intervals on Free-rides


So you want to see avg power and NP for a given interval? If so, then a lap button isn’t going fix that for you. Zwift will need add more data fields to the screen which runs the risk of cluttering up the screen. There’s also the graph in workout mode that shows a trend of the last 10 minutes that gives you a bit of insight though it’s not as objective as lap power specifics.

What you are explaining about the trainer constantly adjustIng difficulty to control to a setpoint is the primary function of erg mode and isn’t specific to zwift. Turn erg mode off and the trainer will just stay constant and you can adjust trainer tension manually. My biggest issue with workout mode is that you can’t “free ride” or ride the given terrain while doing a workout.

That all said, why not just use your bike computer for laps, intervals, workouts, etc in addition to running zwift? I’m guessing you have one for riding outside. This is what I do personally. I upload my Garmin file 99% of the time for analysis and don’t save the zwift file.

I'm not on Erg mode when doing workouts.

And yes, I am using Garmin for everything, but it really shouldn't be necessary to use two computers to display everything. Zwift even has the capability for this (e.g. showing lap averages when climb Alpe d'Huez), so it really shouldn't be that hard to implement
Quote Reply
Re: Lap feature in Zwift [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d like to know my average pier for an interval in workout mode. That “clutter” is probably one of the 3 most important numbers in an interval: current power, avg power and time.
Quote Reply
Re: Lap feature in Zwift [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

Even in workout mode, one doesn't see how one is doing for that particular interval

Furthermore, workout mode in general stinks, as the trainer seeks to adjust difficulty even if I momentarily go 2-3% above target. In real life, this happens, and one reacts by throttling the effort just a tad for the next few seconds. On zwift, it's a constant changing of gear and cadence.

Much easier to do intervals on Free-rides

What this guy said. I quit using their workout mode because of that, and now just do X number of watopia original KOM climbs whenever I do a workout. Way better experience. And yes, the f#cking lap button has been requested since 2016 even before they added the workout mode. No clue why it never got added, they seem to have all of the code necessary to implement it.

Next races on the schedule: lolwut?
Quote Reply
Re: Lap feature in Zwift [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zwift in general is just so poorly runs it blows my mind noone has swooped in and taken the whole market yet! You have the winning formula you just need to execute on it!

1) Basic functionalities being promised but not delivered (UI update!!! dealyed due to covid in april apparantl but never released).
2) Lap functions, route length, chancing route/workouts etc without closing down the app, I mean COME ON!
3) Club function staying in beta forever! Not even getting developed so you can arrange private races etc.

This list just goes on and on and on!

All they do is spend a fuck ton of money on promotion and "pro/esport races", which most paying customers care very little about plus we all saw with the tri races how poorly the spectating experience is as well (which is also not getting fixed). Reminds me of certain video games, once they get enough followers it is just a cashcow very minor upadates to give the impression they care (skins, a few meters of new road) and they will just milk it till it dies. Why else would you devote resources for manual steering over UI/some of the other things i mentioned?
Last edited by: lassekk: Sep 7, 20 23:07
Quote Reply
Re: Lap feature in Zwift [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scooter23 wrote:
I just want a progress bar for each course to show how far I have left before I pick up the XPs. I don't like having to open the zwift hub website and approximate where I am compared to the end of the course. This is especially helpful for newbies and first-time course wanderers and those who may not know about the zwift hub website. It is done for events but not for open, free riding.
Yep, this is an obvious one. They have route badges, but no easy way to see what routes you've already completed, or as you say, to see your progress when pursuing one.

As for the lap button topic: It's true that workout mode provides intervals so long as that's how you want to do your laps. But what if you don't always ride to a prescribed time based plan? I know I don't. I don't rely on a coach for my schedule and I see fit to modify my plan based on how I feel and how I'm performing on the day. Sometimes I'll programme a workout, but very often, I'll base my intervals on geographical features, or adjust interval duration, and/or quantity. For example I often do threshold intervals using the EPIC KOM, or VO2max intervals using one of the shorter KOM climbs. The duration is the time it takes to get to the top, then roll down and do it again. The intensity may be based on the time for the segment. I'd like to have an average power for those intervals and have them recorded as an interval by Zwift when it uploads the data, but currently I have to use my Garmin device to see and record interval data.
Zwift separates itself from a bike computer and a power meter, or TrainerRoad by the graphical interface. Without flexibility that allows you base efforts on the terrain and record them, that is squandered. I don't care if most people have a plan from their coach that says to do 2x20min at 100%FTP on 5min of recovery. I want to do X climbs of the Epic KOM in Xmins with easy pedaling descents for recovery. It's what Zwift invites..... but it's not properly realised. That last and surely easiest 5% is missing.
Quote Reply
Re: Lap feature in Zwift [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like this idea.

For me though, I would rather be able to setup a custom route like in Strava then go ride it.

I like the realism aspect to Zwift for climbing and staying mentally engaged. It's not helpful to have to try to use the uturn tool in companion app and stuff to cobble together the route you really want.

I wouldn't need a lap timer if it did this. Because then you could tailor routes to use existing climb segments or something.

Shorter routes it works OK like Richmond Hills to do some VO2 hill hits with some rest before a repeat.
Quote Reply
Re: Lap feature in Zwift [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
echappist wrote:
stevej wrote:
echappist wrote:
stevej wrote:
Why do you need a lap button on zwift? I’m trying to think of scenarios where I would need one and I can’t think of any.


Intervals

I use the lap button all the time, whether riding indoors or outdoors.


Isn’t that what workout mode is for?


Even in workout mode, one doesn't see how one is doing for that particular interval

Furthermore, workout mode in general stinks, as the trainer seeks to adjust difficulty even if I momentarily go 2-3% above target. In real life, this happens, and one reacts by throttling the effort just a tad for the next few seconds. On zwift, it's a constant changing of gear and cadence.

Much easier to do intervals on Free-rides


So you want to see avg power and NP for a given interval? If so, then a lap button isn’t going fix that for you. Zwift will need add more data fields to the screen which runs the risk of cluttering up the screen. There’s also the graph in workout mode that shows a trend of the last 10 minutes that gives you a bit of insight though it’s not as objective as lap power specifics.

What you are explaining about the trainer constantly adjustIng difficulty to control to a setpoint is the primary function of erg mode and isn’t specific to zwift. Turn erg mode off and the trainer will just stay constant and you can adjust trainer tension manually. My biggest issue with workout mode is that you can’t “free ride” or ride the given terrain while doing a workout.

That all said, why not just use your bike computer for laps, intervals, workouts, etc in addition to running zwift? I’m guessing you have one for riding outside. This is what I do personally. I upload my Garmin file 99% of the time for analysis and don’t save the zwift file.

Zwift already has a way of doing this. For example, if you are doing one of their FTP tests. You an manually edit the XML of a workout file to do this, however, in its current form, the average is for the whole ride, not for that particular interval. Ideally, it would have "lap" and "lap NP" and the "lap" could be triggered by the workout file's XML.

Note that this is undocumented XML so YMMV.

add show_avg="1" at the end of the line of XML. See Shane Miller's explanation for more info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC5RWGrDE_s

Janyne
Quote Reply
Re: Lap feature in Zwift [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I like the realism aspect to Zwift for climbing and staying mentally engaged. It's not helpful to have to try to use the uturn tool in companion app and stuff to cobble together the route you really want.

Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought a small, programmable keypad with just the Zwift shortcuts would be pretty useful.
Quote Reply
Re: Lap feature in Zwift [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
echappist wrote:
stevej wrote:
echappist wrote:
stevej wrote:
Why do you need a lap button on zwift? I’m trying to think of scenarios where I would need one and I can’t think of any.


Intervals

I use the lap button all the time, whether riding indoors or outdoors.


Isn’t that what workout mode is for?


Even in workout mode, one doesn't see how one is doing for that particular interval

Furthermore, workout mode in general stinks, as the trainer seeks to adjust difficulty even if I momentarily go 2-3% above target. In real life, this happens, and one reacts by throttling the effort just a tad for the next few seconds. On zwift, it's a constant changing of gear and cadence.

Much easier to do intervals on Free-rides


So you want to see avg power and NP for a given interval? If so, then a lap button isn’t going fix that for you. Zwift will need add more data fields to the screen which runs the risk of cluttering up the screen. There’s also the graph in workout mode that shows a trend of the last 10 minutes that gives you a bit of insight though it’s not as objective as lap power specifics.

What you are explaining about the trainer constantly adjustIng difficulty to control to a setpoint is the primary function of erg mode and isn’t specific to zwift. Turn erg mode off and the trainer will just stay constant and you can adjust trainer tension manually. My biggest issue with workout mode is that you can’t “free ride” or ride the given terrain while doing a workout.

That all said, why not just use your bike computer for laps, intervals, workouts, etc in addition to running zwift? I’m guessing you have one for riding outside. This is what I do personally. I upload my Garmin file 99% of the time for analysis and don’t save the zwift file.

OP here. What I'd like is pretty much what all bike computers and watches do with the lap button. Within the companion app there could be a lap button which would just break the ride up so intervals can be seen afterwards. Yes, I can go in and highlight each interval and see what AP, NP, HR, etc. are. Most of my riding is indoors and I do use a Garmin 520 computer as well, but it doesn't record distance - there is probably a way to do that, though.

I don't use erg mode and don't want to go through creating individual workouts to import - yes it could be done, but a simple lap feature would be pretty simple to add, wouldn't it (no computer engineer here!).

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Quote Reply
Re: Lap feature in Zwift [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I like this idea.

For me though, I would rather be able to setup a custom route like in Strava then go ride it.

I like the realism aspect to Zwift for climbing and staying mentally engaged. It's not helpful to have to try to use the uturn tool in companion app and stuff to cobble together the route you really want.

I wouldn't need a lap timer if it did this. Because then you could tailor routes to use existing climb segments or something.

Shorter routes it works OK like Richmond Hills to do some VO2 hill hits with some rest before a repeat.
Yeah, a programmable route would certainly be nice, but would require a whole new route editor to add your custom routes to the existing list of standard Zwift routes. I can live without it. There are many, many things I'd prioritise over that, most of which seem like they should be easier. Lap Button, and Route Progress are among these. Of course, top of the list is, and seemingly always will be, the long awaited but still elusive ability to exit to the start menu without restarting Zwift. I've been using Zwift for 4 years and this simple function, infuriating by it's absence, was already considered overdue back then!
Quote Reply
Re: Lap feature in Zwift [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
I like this idea.

For me though, I would rather be able to setup a custom route like in Strava then go ride it.

I like the realism aspect to Zwift for climbing and staying mentally engaged. It's not helpful to have to try to use the uturn tool in companion app and stuff to cobble together the route you really want.

I wouldn't need a lap timer if it did this. Because then you could tailor routes to use existing climb segments or something.

Shorter routes it works OK like Richmond Hills to do some VO2 hill hits with some rest before a repeat.

Yeah, a programmable route would certainly be nice, but would require a whole new route editor to add your custom routes to the existing list of standard Zwift routes. I can live without it. There are many, many things I'd prioritise over that, most of which seem like they should be easier. Lap Button, and Route Progress are among these. Of course, top of the list is, and seemingly always will be, the long awaited but still elusive ability to exit to the start menu without restarting Zwift. I've been using Zwift for 4 years and this simple function, infuriating by it's absence, was already considered overdue back then!

Do the "routes" you see in the menu exist as little files or tidbits? Reason I ask, it's already common for people to "world hack". Just wondering if one could "copy/paste" a "route file" and kind of see what is going on then modify it on their own. If it works it works, if it doesn't delete it back out.
Quote Reply
Re: Lap feature in Zwift [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
I like this idea.

For me though, I would rather be able to setup a custom route like in Strava then go ride it.

I like the realism aspect to Zwift for climbing and staying mentally engaged. It's not helpful to have to try to use the uturn tool in companion app and stuff to cobble together the route you really want.

I wouldn't need a lap timer if it did this. Because then you could tailor routes to use existing climb segments or something.

Shorter routes it works OK like Richmond Hills to do some VO2 hill hits with some rest before a repeat.

Yeah, a programmable route would certainly be nice, but would require a whole new route editor to add your custom routes to the existing list of standard Zwift routes. I can live without it. There are many, many things I'd prioritise over that, most of which seem like they should be easier. Lap Button, and Route Progress are among these. Of course, top of the list is, and seemingly always will be, the long awaited but still elusive ability to exit to the start menu without restarting Zwift. I've been using Zwift for 4 years and this simple function, infuriating by it's absence, was already considered overdue back then!


Do the "routes" you see in the menu exist as little files or tidbits? Reason I ask, it's already common for people to "world hack". Just wondering if one could "copy/paste" a "route file" and kind of see what is going on then modify it on their own. If it works it works, if it doesn't delete it back out.
Good question. I've never looked.
I have been world hacking for years myself. Much less so recently since the standard selection has improved significantly.
Quote Reply

Prev Next